Talk to me about Telecasters

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

[youtube][/youtube]

[youtube][/youtube]
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

There’s a bunch of Squier Esquires in pastel colours atm. Look cool but kinda expensive.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

what?
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Alright, hear me out here.

I still love the sound of the Fender, but now the honeymoon period is over, I'm realising it just doesn't feel as good as my Squier Affinity. In fact, basically everything about the Squier in terms of the weight, the neck profile etc is perfect for me. But I do like having two Teles.

I've spotted an FSR shell pink Squier Affinity Tele for sale locally. Would it be completely nuts for me to buy that, steal the pickups from the Fender and then sell all the spare parts (including the birds eye maple neck, which is presumably worth a fair whack)?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

You will make an effort to love your Tele, when you find fault with it you see in your heart that you are wrong and see that it’s you not the guitar. THIS IS HOW LEO DESIGNED IT!!!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Leo got it right first time, it's true.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Then he improved on perfection with the Stratocaster.
((swords))
I will say that the nicest guitar for feel that I've come across was a maple fretboard USA Deluxe Tele in Denmark St., 2008. Binding and belly contour and set up to play like butter*. That shop on the corner that's been absorbed, amoeba-style, by Wunjo if Google Street View doesn't lie..

*Yes, I know butter plays like crap. Well, not like crap etc. etc.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

From the weight thread, I can say I would personally be uncomfortable playing a Tele as heavy as yours, which I suspect may be the elephant in the room without even realizing it. I mean, heavy guitars feel quality and sound nice, but when your other guitars are such lightweights by contrast I imagine it's just less fun in general.

I would sell the shedcaster as it is, or if parting it out makes more sense financially then maybe do that and keep the pickups and whatever else you want to upgrade your next Tele. Then I would try to find a Fender or Squier CV Tele that weighs 3.4kg or less with a neck profile you like.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

^we need to weigh our keyboards next.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Nick wrote:the shedcaster
Lol
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I wouldn't butcher a guitar that holds a good value as a whole like Fenders do. I've done it in the past and it wasn't worth it. Sell it for a good price

Also I like affinity teles. Small but comfortable necks, thin bodies, lightweight
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Nick wrote:From the weight thread, I can say I would personally be uncomfortable playing a Tele as heavy as yours, which I suspect may be the elephant in the room without even realizing it. I mean, heavy guitars feel quality and sound nice, but when your other guitars are such lightweights by contrast I imagine it's just less fun in general.

I would sell the shedcaster as it is, or if parting it out makes more sense financially then maybe do that and keep the pickups and whatever else you want to upgrade your next Tele. Then I would try to find a Fender or Squier CV Tele that weighs 3.4kg or less with a neck profile you like.
Okay you got me, this is probably the sensible route.

Especially now I've got this Epiphone, the Fender Tele does feel like a fucking brick.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

sunshiner wrote:I wouldn't butcher a guitar that holds a good value as a whole like Fenders do. I've done it in the past and it wasn't worth it. Sell it for a good price
This too. The only times I’ve parted out successfully were if the neck was twisted or the body had significant wear/damage/modifications.

One time I did it with a fretless MIM Jazz bass, thinking the market for a fretless neck or a white+tort body would be better than for a whole fretless bass. The same guy won both auctions and messaged me wondering why I was selling them separately. If I recall it sold for less than it would have whole anyway.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

The impression I've got is that the birds eye maple neck on its own is more desirable than the guitar as a whole. Could be wrong though! So I was thinking of selling the neck, and then maybe selling the loaded body separately.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

The newer Squier affinity teles are pretty light. Tried one recently and it weighed about the same as my thinline.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Saw the top off it
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

From what I can gather, the Affinity bodies are about a quarter of an inch thinner than other Fender/Squier Tele bodies.

Interestingly, it looks like G&L also use thinner bodies. It also looks like they use 60s style necks without the skunk stripe, which I prefer.

Fellas, am I about to buy a G&L?
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

^ I’ve never owned a G&L, but every single one I’ve played in a store has been incredible. Even the Tribute models or whatever their version of Squier is
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)