Mustang Switches and Wiring Help

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

GreenCustom24

Mustang Switches and Wiring Help

Post by GreenCustom24 »

Hey all!

I was wondering if anyone had any input on this? Can't seem to find a good answer anywhere.

I want to put a P Rails in the bridge and either a Vintage or Cool Rails in the neck of my Jag-Stang. I want to install a 3-way switch for standard pickup switching but wanted to repurpose the slider switches to be split/series/parallel on the neck and single/humbucker/P90 for the bridge. All of the wiring diagrams I can find are for 6 lug switches. The Jag-Stang/Mustang switches are 8 lug on-on-on (as far as I know. The StewMac ones are on-on-on at least).

Is it possible to do what I'm looking to do with these switches or will I need to get a whole new pickguard with the switches omitted and extra holes added at the bottom for mini toggles?

Thanks!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

i just tried 80 different ways to dial up a Prails schematic on SD.com and no luck.

the only schematic they got for that shit is 2 of them wired to a fuckin 3 way toggly.

ill keep fuckin with this though hold on
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

fuck this the new way they got this shit set up on thier site is fucking 800 drop down menus to get to one diagram (if) they have it

9 times out of 10 there is no diagram.....they should just let you fucking browse ALL the diagrams so you can substitute pickups in MAKE BELIEVE and then just wire shit
GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

Haha Yeah. I searched their diagrams and their library is useless.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

A standard wiring diagram is easy enough to come by. It's whether or not I can repurpose the switches for what I want.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

ive had no luck figuring this out.

Seymour Duncan really makes me mad. I used to use their roadmaps for EVERYTHING. dozens of builds.

now i can barely find a fucking telecaster diagram
GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

Well I appreciate the attempt at least. I'll post this on the actual Duncan forums (was going to originally but it took them forever and a day to activate my account so I wasn't allowed to post).
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

try this
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
GreenCustom24

Post by GreenCustom24 »

theshadowofseattle wrote:Image

try this
DUDE. That looks perfect. Where the hell did you find it? Or did you make it?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I totally misread what you wrote, sorry...
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I love P Rails, but gave up trying to wire them with anything other than the hipshot pickup ring. They really come to life when you are able to select not only between each coil, but whether the coils are together in series or parallel. Parallel sounds 50s PAF, series sounds hotter and compressed. All are great.

I know I go on about them, but they are brilliant pickups.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Post by theshadowofseattle »

GreenCustom24 wrote:DUDE. That looks perfect. Where the hell did you find it? Or did you make it?
cobbled it together out of a couple of relevant wiring diagrams I found. It should work.

But I gotta give Bacchus some support on the Triple Shot pickup ring. I used one with the Duncan Detonator in my Jazzmaster, and it's amazing. If I were trying out what you're doing, I'd wire one Mustang switch as a pickup selector and the other as the options selector for the Cool Rails. Then, for the bridge P-Rails, I'd use the Triple Shot. That way there's no need to drill or lose a potentiometer for a 3 way selector.
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.