Marshall footswitch help

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Marshall footswitch help

Post by Thom »

I’ve got a standard 2 button footswitch for my Marshall and i want to remove the cable and replace it with an input jack. Presume I need a stereo jack, but can anyone help with the wiring? Thanks in advance!

NickS

Post by NickS »

Yep, stereo jack will be fine. I'm guessing there's a jack at the amp end already. Is the plug at the amp end moulded so you can't see what colour wire goes to the tip and which to the ring? The shaft is going to be to the black wire. If moulded you could do a means of checking continuity so you can map the tip/ring/shaft at the amp end to the colours in the footswitch, because I can't find a diagram for that particular switch on line. I guess you could just take a flier on which of the red or white is tip and which is ring and swap it if wrong.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Or check with a multimeter?
NickS

Post by NickS »

That's what I use for checking continuity :) You could use a signal injector and tracer, I guess.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Ah, sorry, I skim-read your post as saying "if it's moulded, you have no way of opening up to check what goes where, so you'll have to trial and error it."
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
NickS

Post by NickS »

Yeah, I found that but it needs careful examination and the original seems to have gone missing. Does one connector say ring and one say tip?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Thanks guys, that’s great. Yeah the amp end is moulded which is a shame, but will dig out the multimeter and if that fails will use trial and error :D