I bought another bass (attn:Timhulio, Musima V2 content)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

I bought another bass (attn:Timhulio, Musima V2 content)

Post by Nick »

Image http://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre ... 4035668031
I’ve been watching a somewhat sketchy Yamaha SB2 bass on eBay for a few weeks now so this came up in my similar items. I put a watch on it this morning and the seller just sent me an offer of $205+$35 shipping. When asked, the seller said the neck is perfectly straight, has no dead spots and action was set pretty low. It also looks like it may have had a refret at some point so I’m willing to take a gamble. Half the price of the Yamaha I was looking at and looks more promising.

I’ve always liked the looks of Tim’s Musimas, hopefully it’s not too obvious that I’m stealing his style. :lol:

(EDIT) I don't have the bass yet, I just bought it on eBay it should be here within the week.
Last edited by Nick on Sun Feb 02, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

What scale is that?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

800mm, or 31.5"
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

That is a cool bass! I want to find a left handed bass for my girlfriend.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

westtexasred wrote:That is a cool bass! I want to find a left handed bass for my girlfriend.
I can only imagine the struggle of finding cool left handed instruments, especially basses. Hofner makes left handed versions of its violin bass at every level, Rogue makes a cheaper version as well (saying it like this makes it seem that they stereotype all lefty bassists as Macca fans).
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

This came in today. It's more or less exactly what I expected, very fun bass and it looks even nicer in person. Plugged it in and noticed it was very growly and mid heavy which is kind of cool in its own way, but I then realized the blend knob didn't really seem to do much, and what should have been the neck position was in fact the bridge. Made total sense.

I took off the pickguard and discovered it had been crudely re-wired with common (wrong) replacement parts. Both pots are old Alphas, which are audio taper and explains why the curve of the blend was so one sided. Shafts are splines, whereas the original knobs have a set screw. The neck pickup looked to have a 22nf capacitor connected to the hot wire to the "blend" pot....all around it looks really shoddy.

Going to have it rewired with a proper blend knob I think. Should be all it needs.