M A R A U D E R S

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Doog wrote:Jim Hates Skiing
Hot Snake Johnson
dots wrote:incesticide
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

1970s JHS copy of a Gibson Marauder

"there were a lot of Gibson Marauder copies being sold under different brand names such as Avon, Cimar, ESP, Maya, Rose Morris, CSL and finally JHS (now known as Vintage & Encore)"

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

robroe wrote:
Doog wrote:Jim Hates Skiing
Hot Snake Johnson
JAPES HUNG SALAMI
dots wrote:incesticide
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Doog wrote:
paul_ wrote:
Doog wrote: Ahhh, so sick, I really liked that blue one, good to hear it sounds good plugged in too. If it had 2 pickups, I probably woulda taken it; I think the body was pretty much the same thickness as the neck
The Polaris II (bridge pickup) and III (a II with a trem, I think) both had 2 pickups.

The neck is probably thicker than the body, to be honest. The strings are way high over the pickguard and the neck pocket on the body is the thinnest bit of wood on the whole thing (thinner than the headstock).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

westtexasred wrote:1970s JHS copy of a Gibson Marauder

"there were a lot of Gibson Marauder copies being sold under different brand names such as Avon, Cimar, ESP, Maya, Rose Morris, CSL and finally JHS (now known as Vintage & Encore)"

Why are the two on the right so much smaller than the one on the left?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

one of the universe's unanswerable questions
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:lol:
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thinking out loud, on (free alternative to) Photoshop:

I might have to track me down another matching pickup as that looks SICK and is likely more up my alley than the huge woolly stock neckbucker...

I love how the first one with the dual angled pickups has a 'Les Paul Recording Model' vibe to it:

Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:Thinking out loud, on (free alternative to) Photoshop:

I might have to track me down another matching pickup as that looks SICK and is likely more up my alley than the huge woolly stock neckbucker...
It might not fit sideways (or straight) with the actual rout. Don't really know.

But a much more useful mod would be the blend control some late Marauders had.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Fakir Mustache wrote:It might not fit sideways (or straight) with the actual rout. Don't really know.
Possibly, although that Avon/Rose Morris I had years ago had a swimming pool route, and the stock neck humbucker is already way bigger than the proposed mod so it miiiiiiiight be ok?

Gonna have to play the long game on this anyways, said pickups don't pop-up often. Although, I've now got it in my head to find another Marauder, and swap pickups, so I've got a SS and a HH Marauder. BEASTLY.

(using photos of a Photoshop definitely helps helps on the uncanny valley shit a bit lol)

Would just need to get the (obviously custom) pickguard extended out a bit to cover the gooch gap by the bridge. However, that might actually be a problem with the stock route, might need to open up the pit a little.

Fakir Mustache wrote:But a much more useful mod would be the blend control some late Marauders had.
Ehhh, my Silvertone Jupiter had a stock blend pot (since unwired), and I'd leave it on one setting and never touch it again. Easier to just do that with the pickup heights and still have control over the switching.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

[youtube][/youtube]
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:Ehhh, my Silvertone Jupiter had a stock blend pot (since unwired), and I'd leave it on one setting and never touch it again. Easier to just do that with the pickup heights and still have control over the switching.
I find that it only works if the bridge pickup is already louder than the neck.

If they both put out around the same output, you can lower the neck pickup flat and the bridge pickup almost touching the strings and the middle position will still sound like only neck alone.
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Fakir Mustache wrote:I find that it only works if the bridge pickup is already louder than the neck.

If they both put out around the same output, you can lower the neck pickup flat and the bridge pickup almost touching the strings and the middle position will still sound like only neck alone.
Ehhhh well that depends how much available space you have, doesn't it?

The humbucker is twice as loud as the singlecoil in this Marauder, but the position and angle of guitar's neck allows for the bridge itself to sit quite high, giving lots of space between the strings and the pickguard, so a large range of pickup height adjustment possibilities.
westtexasred wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
siiiiiick

c h o n k y b o i
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:I find that it only works if the bridge pickup is already louder than the neck.

Ehhhh well that depends how much available space you have, doesn't it?

The humbucker is twice as loud as the singlecoil in this Marauder, but the position and angle of guitar's neck allows for the bridge itself to sit quite high, giving lots of space between the strings and the pickguard, so a large range of pickup height adjustment possibilities.
I doubt the humbucker is twice as loud as the single coil on the Marauder. Have you measured the resistances?

On my Vintage Modified Mustang the bridge pickup has more resistance than the neck, and I have it as high as possible, a couple of mm below the strings, the neck pickup flat with the scratchplate and the neck pickup still sounds too loud.

But I don't doubt that the Marauder bridge sits higher with normal action.

The problem is that in the neck position the strings vibrate more.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Fakir Mustache wrote: I doubt the humbucker is twice as loud as the single coil on the Marauder. Have you measured the resistances?
I have not; it's just louder, okay? Yeesh.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote: I doubt the humbucker is twice as loud as the single coil on the Marauder. Have you measured the resistances?
I have not; it's just louder, okay? Yeesh.
Actually you're right,

I found some info online, humbucker measures about 6K ohms,, bridge about 2.25K. Although that's not a 100% indication of output because it may vary with pickup construction.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Doog wrote:Thinking out loud, on (free alternative to) Photoshop:

Double angled looks the best to me
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah same, looks mad futuristic
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Shit Doog, I had one of those pickups in my parts box for years and just got rid of it last month. Bugger!

Congrats on the new guitar, it looks great! I just picked up an Epi neck for my spare Sonex body but I'm keeping it for a little quarantine project should that happen.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thomas wrote:Shit Doog, I had one of those pickups in my parts box for years and just got rid of it last month. Bugger!
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!