M A R A U D E R S

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

lol, I just found a 70s JHS Marauder (no doubt the same as the Avon/Rose Morris) relatively locally, picking it up tonight.

It was from a non-selling eBay auction, so I just hit him up on there, and he proceeded to send me his phone number split over 4 messages.

Just letting you know, in case I wind-up in a shallow grave decorated with a tinfoil hat.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

"What are you talking about! I'm not gonna call the police after what has happened, gosh... I love hugging shirtless hairy middle aged man! Imma take off?"
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

A photo on the auction shows him wearing sandals in the guitar's reflection, so he may well be a touchyfeeler. Let's see how we get on; I'll do most things for a discount.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Doog wrote:A photo on the auction shows him wearing nothing but sandals in the guitar's reflection, so I'm hoping for a touchyfeel. Let's see how we get on; I'll do most things for a discount.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

hoisted with my own petard!
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

:D :D :D
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Successfully have the guitar, albeit no touching on either behalf- probably for the best.

He was an older Irish guy with long white “prog-rock legend� hair, living alone in a small council flat, rammed with gear. Seemed it’s all stuff to sell that he’s bought from auctions etc, rather than hoarding but the flat had a defo “hoarder� vibe, dank kitchen etc.

I had so many questions about the stuff, and so he dutifully bollocked-on as he obviously enjoyed chatting. Was there for like 45 minutes, he even let me take a few snaps of some beauts:
► Show Spoiler
There were like 20 more guitars in that room than what I’m showing, and FX pedals, picks and dust on every surface.

He EVEN had a tube reverb/echo unit owned by the guy who the Match Of The Day theme tune, so was feasibly used on said tune haha
Last edited by Doog on Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:
► Show Spoiler
What's that weird double cut Junior/Special copy? Looks European to me, perhaps German, but I can't say I've seen another.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The reddish one is a Dan Armstrong that he's wanting to return to its original slidey-pickup goodness. The orange lad is a Kay, the little blue one is a Kent Polaris, love ittttt.

I think this is a stock same model Armstrong, I think it had a custom scratchplate: http://loviesguitars.com/product/vinta ... wie-model/
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Epiphone Olympic in the Melody Maker shape, that's a rare thing. SG seems to be vintage too
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

That’s awesome Doog
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Doog wrote: Image
I scored one of these badboiz for DeMarco giggles in really good condition for $70 a couple years back and it's surprisingly good. Only the tuners are knackered (each one is bent), but not to the point where they don't work/I can be arsed to replace them. And it sounds AWESOME plugged in, which was to be expected because it even has a bluesy "verge of breakup' tone unplugged (lol). I learned to play Christmastime is Here on it this last holiday season.

One of my favorite things about the Polaris is that their original advertising blurbs from the mid-60s touted their "dual I-beam" reinforcing neck rods, adding that "I-beams are used in the contstruction of some of the world's tallest skyscrapers"

[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Doog where's the pics of the guitar you did buy?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote:Doog where's the pics of the guitar you did buy?
Was waiting for that goodgood morning kitchen light, son:

So, I don't think this model is quite the same as the Avon/Morris Rose copy I had a number of years back. They're definitely both made in Japan in the 70s-80s, but this is WAY more solid and probably weighs 1.5 to 2 times as much. From memory, the Avon was way more plinky-plonky, this guy feels LEGIT. Someone could handed me this and told it was an old Gibson and I would've believed them.

I was initially a little peeved as I was thinking of this as another lightweight guitar for Casa Bonita (lots of travelling to practises), but it's definitely its own thing. Flattish profile, but a bigger neck than I'd go for, but it still works for me.

In order to balance out the pickups, this is the required setup haha. That bridge pickup is SO zingy and toppy, it's almost Shellac-style, fucking love it. The neck humbucker is so dark in comparison, they work oddly well together, especially with that superlow position on the neck pickup making it even more mellow.

I'm waiting on a set of tools (it's got that weird 'traditional' truss rod adjustment) before I can properly restring and set it up. It's also missing a few of the intonation screwheads on the tailpiece side (these weird 'harmonica' bridges have adjustments on both sides), so I may replace the whole bridge as the post adjustments are a bit fucked-up too, if I can find the right size.

Otherwise, pretty happy! It's also the first guitar I've bought that might be older than me! #vintagetoneboner
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Badman.

I want that red Kay guitar.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Looks dope.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Looks damn great
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Doog wrote:
John Hornby Skewes?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Jim Hates Skiing
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

paul_ wrote:
Doog wrote: Image
I scored one of these badboiz for DeMarco giggles in really good condition for $70 a couple years back and it's surprisingly good. Only the tuners are knackered (each one is bent), but not to the point where they don't work/I can be arsed to replace them. And it sounds AWESOME plugged in, which was to be expected because it even has a bluesy "verge of breakup' tone unplugged (lol). I learned to play Christmastime is Here on it this last holiday season.

One of my favorite things about the Polaris is that their original advertising blurbs from the mid-60s touted their "dual I-beam" reinforcing neck rods, adding that "I-beams are used in the contstruction of some of the world's tallest skyscrapers"]
Ahhh, so sick, I really liked that blue one, good to hear it sounds good plugged in too. If it had 2 pickups, I probably woulda taken it; I think the body was pretty much the same thickness as the neck