LTD Phoenix 200

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Thomas

LTD Phoenix 200

Post by Thomas »

This is the latest in my series of weird guitars I now own. I didn't even now that these guitars existed until I spotted it up for sale in the GG preowned section. After a little digging I found out its a guitar that had been discontinued but was about to be getting an expensive reissue. There used to be 2 models of these. A budget one (like this) and a swanky version at the thick end of £1k. The new version coming out is also a premium model.

I managed to score it for £265 which I was happy with as it has the Kerry King EMG pickup set/boost in it. I had intended to sell on the pickups if i didn't like them and at the price they sell for the guitar would have owed me pennies if i did end up doing that. I did hesitate a bit as buying modded preowned from a shop can be hit or miss. Luckily the previous owner had installed everything correctly and the guitar was also set up properly so another win there. The only issue is the slightly annoying/OCD inducing exception of them drilling the hole for the boost switch slightly out of line with the other controls. Tho I do plan on getting a black guard for this and redoing the controls in the more standard firebird parallel to the strings style anyway so no biggie.

The guitar is a proper through neck, fit and finish are excellent and the pickups sound AMAZING so they'll be staying. My Gibson Firebird had a better paint job but this is actually a way better guitar.

Things I will update are the pickguard and probably the machine heads to locking Grovers or similar. Everything else is great. The giant Moog knobw will come off too once I find something else I like. I wasn't a fan of the black knurled Tele knobs that were on this.

If you ever have the chance to try/buy one of these I wholeheartedly recommend it. I never thought I'd get to the point where my 3 favourite Gibson style guitars are made by LTD. Pic of the other one (Alex Skolnick sig Silverburst) added at the bottom.

► Show Spoiler
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

doesn't mezz play one of these?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

plopswagon wrote:doesn't mezz play one of these?
Mezz has a few Hardluck Kings versions, it’s what I thought of when I saw this.

Looks great Thomas! The matte on gloss black look with the EMGs works well.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

Cheers guys. I've seen the Fretking on his FB but I've never tried one of them. I'd like to try one.
westtexasred wrote:Is that what this was about?

http://guitar.com/news/industry-news/g ... -response/
No that's not specific to this model or anything, just the FB and Explorer shape on the whole.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote:Looks great Thomas! The matte on gloss black look with the EMGs works well.
Agreed, v slick!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
speedfish

Post by speedfish »

Congrats!

I'd love to see a pic of the back.

Thanks!
Disciple of Pain

"I'm like the monkey screwing the skunk. I haven't had enough, but I've about had all that I can stand!"

"Born to Lose. Live to Win." Lemmy Kilmister
KillerGuitarRigs

Post by KillerGuitarRigs »

That's an incredible price. I've been eyeing these since the reissue.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

KillerGuitarRigs wrote:That's an incredible price. I've been eyeing these since the reissue.
The reissues are coming down a bit in price now, I’ve spotted a few on the second hand market.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

My brother has an LTD Les Paul type thing, which is hilarious because he doesn't really know guitars and definitely isn't into metal or anything remotely heavy. He reckons it sounds great though, and plays great.
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

I had the EC1000 which is the LP one. They come with SD JB and 59 pickups, locking tailpiece, bridge and tuners.

I only ditched mine when I got a silverburst Alex Skolnick signature version. It’s full thickness like a LP where the usual etc is slimmer. Coil splits too.

It’s very metal looking but I love how it plays. Metal Liberace.