Finding the Right Shortscale

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

jc808

Finding the Right Shortscale

Post by jc808 »

Hi. New guy. Looking for a little info in the shortscale realm.

Ideally I'd like something with a tremolo. So a Mustang. But I read a loooong write-up on OSG on what it takes to actually get the bridge/trem set up properly, and frankly it was a little off-putting.

So I started looking at alternatives. Snagged a 70s Musicmaster for a good price. The neck is AMAZING. Kind of chunky, vintage radius, narrow nut...It feels awesome in hand. But those vintage frets are WORK. Makes it a lot less fun to play. Not sure I'm going to keep it.

Before the lockdown, I had a chance to play the MIM Duo Sonic at GC. It felt good as well, but I didn't get the chance to plug it in, so I'm not sure how the pickups will sound. . Feel like they're kind of overpriced? And maybe a little meh?

I don't want to make this a super long post. Main thing for me is necks. If I could find something with a neck like my MM (just slightly larger frets), I could make everything else work.

I've got my eye on some other shortscales (Squier, MIJ, etc) but I wanted to get some info here on maybe something I haven't considered. Thanks!
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

100% refret your MM.

And welcome.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
jc808

Post by jc808 »

gusman2x wrote:100% refret your MM.

And welcome.
Thanks. And wow, that is NOT one of the replies I would have expected.

Obviously, that's not going to happen during this current situation. But also, I'm concerned at the price? My impression was that a good re-fret will run $300-400.

You sound pretty affirmative...Tell me more lol.
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: Finding the Right Shortscale

Post by Doog »

jc808 wrote:Hi. New guy. Looking for a little info in the shortscale realm.

Ideally I'd like something with a tremolo. So a Mustang. But I read a loooong write-up on OSG on what it takes to actually get the bridge/trem set up properly, and frankly it was a little off-putting.
Hey Mr New Guy, welcome.

Honestly, I can only use my own limited experience of my Squier VM Mustang, but it really wasn't a big deal if you're 'setup savvy'. If you're prepared to have the trem action kinda stiff, you can adjust the tailpiece and springs so that it has a 'zero point', which hugely improves the tuning.

If you've got a decent bridge on there, have your nut cut properly and stretch your strings in, it works just fine; nothing ever works perfectly out of the box, but the adjustments to make are all pretty simple. Happy to offer any more help/advice.

NB: I found the stock VM neck too clubby, replaced with a MIJ Jaguar neck, much sleeker. Based on your description of your preferred neck type, you might enjoy it.
NB2: I remember using the Mustang tremolo on my Jag-Stang back in the day (before I knew anything) and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

jc808 wrote:
gusman2x wrote:100% refret your MM.

And welcome.
Thanks. And wow, that is NOT one of the replies I would have expected.

Obviously, that's not going to happen during this current situation. But also, I'm concerned at the price? My impression was that a good re-fret will run $300-400.

You sound pretty affirmative...Tell me more lol.
I needed to have my fav guitar referetted (Jem), and I was terrified. Got it back, and it was 200% better than it ever was. I think I prob paid around £200 so prob about right with the $300 estimate. I sold a Squier JV strat a few years ago because I couldn't hack the vintage frets on a maple board (fine on a rosewood for me), but I wish I'd just had it referetted. It was a great guitar otherwise.

If you like/love everything else about it, then it's a no brainer. Especially as you love the neck shape.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
jc808

Re: Finding the Right Shortscale

Post by jc808 »

Doog wrote:
jc808 wrote:Hi. New guy. Looking for a little info in the shortscale realm.

Hey Mr New Guy, welcome.

Honestly, I can only use my own limited experience of my Squier VM Mustang, but it really wasn't a big deal if you're 'setup savvy'. If you're prepared to have the trem action kinda stiff, you can adjust the tailpiece and springs so that it has a 'zero point', which hugely improves the tuning.

If you've got a decent bridge on there, have your nut cut properly and stretch your strings in, it works just fine; nothing ever works perfectly out of the box, but the adjustments to make are all pretty simple. Happy to offer any more help/advice.

NB: I found the stock VM neck too clubby, replaced with a MIJ Jaguar neck, much sleeker. Based on your description of your preferred neck type, you might enjoy it.
NB2: I remember using the Mustang tremolo on my Jag-Stang back in the day (before I knew anything) and it wasn't a pleasant experience.
Thank you!

Would you say the Vintage Modified Mustang neck chunkier than the Classic Vibe that’s currently out? If so, maybe I need to hunt down one of those!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I've not actually tried one of the CVs, but there's apparently a difference in radius between the two, and the fret size:

http://www.squier-talk.com/threads/squi ... ed.156531/
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Fender Super sonic

24" neck, (not vintage frets), strat reverb handle

Best part...NO TONE KNOB!!! 2 vols

Squier will be coming out with new paint schemes in a couple months if you arent into scumbag sparkle
dots wrote:incesticide
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Doog wrote:I've not actually tried one of the CVs, but there's apparently a difference in radius between the two, and the fret size:

I think they're both 9.5" radius necks but the VMs had height adjustable bridge saddles whilst the CVs have a fixed radius bridge.
Last edited by BearBoy on Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Doog wrote:I've not actually tried one of the CVs, but there's apparently a difference in radius between the two, and the fret size:

Everywhere else it says they have the same radius.

I can't feel radius differences, so I wouldn't say, but I have them both and the VM clearly has a much thicker neck, and maybe bigger frets.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

WANT TO TOUCH THA HINEY
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

It also comes stock with an awesome wiggy switch!

[youtube][/youtube]
Last edited by robroe on Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

That looks ace Rob.

re the Mustangs, specs (from Andertons):
Vintage Modified

Neck Shape: "C" Shape
Number of Frets: 22
Fret Size: Medium Jumbo
Position Inlays: Parchment Dot
Fretboard Radius: 9.5" (24.1 cm)
Fretboard: Laurel*
Neck Material: Maple
Neck Finish: Gloss Polyurethane, Vintage Tint
Nut Width: 1.650� (42 mm)
Scale Length: 24" (61 cm)
Headstock: Vintage tint
Classic Vibe

Neck: Maple, “C� Shape
Neck Finish: Vintage Tint Gloss
Fingerboard: Indian Laurel, 9.5� (241 mm)
Frets: 22, Narrow-Tall
Position Inlays: Pearloid Dot
Nut (Material/Width): Bone, 1.650� (42 mm)
Tuning Machines: Vintage-Style
Scale Length: 24� (610 mm)
*I think the first lot of VMs had rosewood boards, I know my VI does.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
jc808

Post by jc808 »

robroe wrote:Image

WANT TO TOUCH THA HINEY
Oooh. That is pretty hot. Not sure I'm a HH lover, but if it's a short scale I think I could get into it.
jc808

Post by jc808 »

robroe wrote:

It also comes stock with an awesome wiggy switch!
Never seen someone use a toggle like a scratch DJ crabbing. Fuckin rad
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Teh Morelloz will show you how to do it but it will cost you $100. ....cuz thats punk rock....i guessss

[youtube][/youtube]
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Morello doesn't do crabbing though, crabbing is more fancy:

[youtube][/youtube]

That fucking red sparkle Supersonic though, DAMN
paul_

Post by paul_ »

BearBoy wrote:*I think the first lot of VMs had rosewood boards, I know my VI does.
Yep, Squier switched to the laurel boards for the 2019 model year or something I believe, with the earliest laurel-boarded listings showing up in Summer 2018. Squier still had rosewood after import Fenders phased in Pau Ferro on certain models because it was more of a tricky situation resupplying the Squier factories; South American substitute woods made more sense for the Mexico and US factories than it did for the Asian ones.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

All MM`s enjoy thick strings, not just the 22 1/2"s. Also the radius is not an issue in most cases, the scale fixes all. To bend like Buddy Guy with twelves on is a fine feeling.

And +1 on the refret tip, its no biggie if that is what you need and you find a proper luthier to do it. Those necks really are something.

If you end up going the Mustang route, fine. Just research how the bridge is adjusted. It works but you got to let it. Anything more complicated than a Mustang often ends up in endless wandering in a forest of too much versatility and cravings of mindless tweaking. A Musicmaster just needs playing.

H

-ha, re-read your post and now I feel that I nagged about bridge adjusting, sorry-
jc808

Post by jc808 »

henkstroem wrote:All MM`s enjoy thick strings, not just the 22 1/2"s. Also the radius is not an issue in most cases, the scale fixes all. To bend like Buddy Guy with twelves on is a fine feeling.

And +1 on the refret tip, its no biggie if that is what you need and you find a proper luthier to do it. Those necks really are something.

If you end up going the Mustang route, fine. Just research how the bridge is adjusted. It works but you got to let it. Anything more complicated than a Mustang often ends up in endless wandering in a forest of too much versatility and cravings of mindless tweaking. A Musicmaster just needs playing.

H

-ha, re-read your post and now I feel that I nagged about bridge adjusting, sorry-
It really is a fabulous neck. That’s 2 votes for refretting...definitely giving me something to think about.

I have it strung with .010s. Tried 11s, but with these tiny frets, I wasn’t having fun.

No sweat on the Mustang info. I should know what I’m getting into if I go that way lol