Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

line 6 m9 just fuzz, distortion, overdrive Demo

Post by Hurb »

[youtube][/youtube]
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Lots of range in the M9, for sure. It definitely "FEELS" more compressed and digital than it sounds on record, like most sims.

I've even been able to run a few of the models directly (no other preamp or amp/cab sim) to my audio interface and headphones for home practise, sounds fine. Namely 'Tube Drive' and 'Line 6 Drive'. I even used the fucken TUBESCREAMER when I was doing that Casa Bonita song during the live stream, as it has that normally-annoying clean blend that stopped things from sounding too ridiculous. #distortedacousticneckhumbuckerlols

Some of the models definitely benefit from being run into a slightly more hairy preamp (as you've done), as it helps round out the harsher shit and adds another layer of OOMPH

I've actually just started running it in stereo into my DAW (with a few other pedals in front of it), those reverbs really sound pretty good in stereo, sounds just like I'm playing in a big room!

Last edited by Doog on Thu Apr 23, 2020 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Fun looking board Doog!

Have you had any issue with the switches on the m9 (that's the other complaint you read about)?
It's been so long since I have played into a none digital amp I wonder if my ears have gone wonky because it all sounds good to me haha. I think there is so much hype over the next best fuzz/overdrive that most just cant see past the stigma of a multi fx/digital copy. Give me my zoom 505 back any day lol
In all seriousness though something like the m series is enough for most bedrooms!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hurb wrote:Fun looking board Doog!
Sure is! Other board is super-specific to Casa Bonita so didn't wanna be pulling up stuff, this guy makes more than a couplatones
Hurb wrote:Have you had any issue with the switches on the m9 (that's the other complaint you read about)?
Occasionally, but a bit of contact cleaner sorted them out.
Hurb wrote: It's been so long since I have played into a none digital amp I wonder if my ears have gone wonky because it all sounds good to me haha. I think there is so much hype over the next best fuzz/overdrive that most just cant see past the stigma of a multi fx/digital copy. Give me my zoom 505 back any day lol
In all seriousness though something like the m series is enough for most bedrooms!
100%, the endless GAS churn. I only really get excited about something that's functionally different and unique nowadays (i.e. few pedals do what the Hedra and the SuperEgo+ do); don't really give a shit about yet another fuzz.

The M9 really is pretty ace, the improvements in DSP are less noticeable between it and current cutting-edge stuff, versus your old Digitech multi-fxs of yore.. and even then, dialled-in properly with the right patches, those can also sound decent. Most low-end stuff sounds bad because of the inexperienced hands and ears that are just butchering the poor thing
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Doog wrote:
100%, the endless GAS churn. I only really get excited about something that's functionally different and unique nowadays (i.e. few pedals do what the Hedra and the SuperEgo+ do); don't really give a shit about yet another fuzz.
Agreed with that! there is amazing stuff out there. Just so fucking expensive!

just come across this thing that looks insane...I mean its more of the glitchy stuff but damn it has so much going on.
[youtube][/youtube]

there is one second hand for 300 quid. They are 500 new!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

That demo's much better than the Knobs one, or at least it shows a lot more range.. I guess it IS longer.

The SuperEgo+ will get you there for most of the "weird blurry swashy bendy pad" sounds, but the Infinite Jets has got some ace glitch shit going on.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

The knobs demos are great a lot of the time and are definitely well produced. But sometimes I am left not knowing what the fuck is going on.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

It's definitely a fine line between " a e s t h e t i c " and "clear instruction".

Also, totally gonna watch all the videos of the Infinite Jets now, you bastard. If I fucking end up buying one..
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Doog wrote:It's definitely a fine line between " a e s t h e t i c " and "clear instruction".

Also, totally gonna watch all the videos of the Infinite Jets now, you bastard. If I fucking end up buying one..
Sorry!

Dibs when you sell it haha
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I wanna watch your demo Hurb and will do when I get more than 2 minutes to myself (kids!)

I always was super jealous of you guys with your M9s and M5s and M13s. I never did get the balls up to get one myself.

I'm also so out of the game I don't recognise any of Andy's other pedals. FFS.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

To be fair, the Humdinger is by some tiny builder guy from Berlin, just showed up in searches when I was looking for a flexible octave and non-octave fuzz.

M9 is one of the most solid purchases I've ever made for sure, still recommended; so much bang for buck.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Mike wrote:I wanna watch your demo Hurb and will do when I get more than 2 minutes to myself (kids!)

I always was super jealous of you guys with your M9s and M5s and M13s. I never did get the balls up to get one myself.

If you get 2 minutes to yourself Mike I am not sure my Demo is how you should spend it mate!

The pedal game has moved on leaps since back in the day. I am trying to play catch up myself with both limited time and resources!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hurb wrote:
Doog wrote:It's definitely a fine line between " a e s t h e t i c " and "clear instruction".

Sorry!

Whisper it: I did actually buy one last week, but it went back today.

It's kinda cool pedal but with a lot of practical problems, most of all the senstivity calibraton that did fuck all, so it'd randomly trigger again even when you're sustaining the same chord/note. For £425, that shit better WORK. For me, the SuperEgo+ wins hands down; it's only missing the Glitch stuff which felt like more of a party trick anyways.

I was originally gonna rent the IJ from Tonebuddy (run out of the same shop I bought from, Sound Affects); set up an account, paid for the month but then saw some 'closed for CV19' shit on their FB. So I cancelled all that shit, and just bought it outright. THEN received a call a few hours later to the tune of "hey mate, what pedal do you want for your first Tonebuddy rental?". Turns out they're running again, so I just did a whole song and dance to rent it for £425, plus the £30 they'd taken for the month's subscription haha.

They're refunding the whole lot though, and I'll probably use Tonebuddy soon, lots of nice stuff I'd like to have a proper go on without splashing out
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Doog wrote:
Hurb wrote:

Sorry!

Whisper it: I did actually buy one last week, but it went back today.

It's kinda cool pedal but with a lot of practical problems, most of all the senstivity calibraton that did fuck all, so it'd randomly trigger again even when you're sustaining the same chord/note. For £425, that shit better WORK. For me, the SuperEgo+ wins hands down; it's only missing the Glitch stuff which felt like more of a party trick anyways.

I was originally gonna rent the IJ from Tonebuddy (run out of the same shop I bought from, Sound Affects); set up an account, paid for the month but then saw some 'closed for CV19' shit on their FB. So I cancelled all that shit, and just bought it outright. THEN received a call a few hours later to the tune of "hey mate, what pedal do you want for your first Tonebuddy rental?". Turns out they're running again, so I just did a whole song and dance to rent it for £425, plus the £30 they'd taken for the month's subscription haha.

They're refunding the whole lot though, and I'll probably use Tonebuddy soon, lots of nice stuff I'd like to have a proper go on without splashing out
That is such a shame it didn't work out. Although selfishly glad its killed my lust for it.

Will check the tonebuddy thing out. Might be handy during lockdown.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Happy to save your coin, man. I think it was maybe an earlier version of the IJ or something? I've watched a LOT of demos and don't see the same "re-trigger" problems, but did find a few forum posts complaining of the same thing. I spent AGES fucking around with buffers, unbuffers, volume boosts/cuts, impedance changers and still nothing.

I even emailed Hologram on Wednesday night about the issue, and still have heard nothing back from them. That's pretty terrible from a company who are releasing a brand new pedal soon; although I can 100% appreciate the current situation, they've said the pre-orders are still going ahead.. and replying to an email takes all of a few minutes?? They've lost any future custom from me thanks to the combo of those two things.

I LOVE their whole "1960s sci-fi" aesthetic, but it's clear they need/ed to do some more/any user testing, especially at that price point.

And DO IT! I think all postage (to and from) Tonebuddy is covered by the £30 monthly fee, although that's one pedal per month max.. they do 2 and 3 pedal subs too. You can also buy the pedal/s if you like em, for 10% off. Nae bad at all.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Doog wrote:Happy to save your coin, man. I think it was maybe an earlier version of the IJ or something? I've watched a LOT of demos and don't see the same "re-trigger" problems, but did find a few forum posts complaining of the same thing. I spent AGES fucking around with buffers, unbuffers, volume boosts/cuts, impedance changers and still nothing.

I even emailed Hologram on Wednesday night about the issue, and still have heard nothing back from them. That's pretty terrible from a company who are releasing a brand new pedal soon; although I can 100% appreciate the current situation, they've said the pre-orders are still going ahead.. and replying to an email takes all of a few minutes?? They've lost any future custom from me thanks to the combo of those two things.

I LOVE their whole "1960s sci-fi" aesthetic, but it's clear they need/ed to do some more/any user testing, especially at that price point.

And DO IT! I think all postage (to and from) Tonebuddy is covered by the £30 monthly fee, although that's one pedal per month max.. they do 2 and 3 pedal subs too. You can also buy the pedal/s if you like em, for 10% off. Nae bad at all.
Yeah considering it. will give me more options to demo than I normally could afford. I know I will just end up wanting to keep everything though haha

That is balls from Hologram. Like you say for such an expensive pedal they need to up their game!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Mike wrote:I wanna watch your demo Hurb and will do when I get more than 2 minutes to myself (kids!)

M5s are like, fifty quid or something these days. Well worth it. Think I paid that for mine on here aaaages ago. It was a bargain then, but now that price is fairly common.