What Fender SS acoustic guitar

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Golden-Stang

What Fender SS acoustic guitar

Post by Golden-Stang »

Hello everyone, I hope you're all right. I just wanted to buy a new acoustic guitar to spend pleasantly my quarantine so a short scale one would be perfect. I always loved the Malibu and I found it for almost € 300 (€ 292 more correctly) on Thomann in Burgundy Mist finish but I also saw the new Sonoran Mini in Natural finish with bag for €199 on the same site, both with free shipping charge. According to Fender official site, the Malibu has a 24.1" scale (612 mm), 20 frets, integrated Fishman pickup and tuner whereas the Sonoran Mini has a 23.3 scale (592 mm) and 18 frets. Should I go for the cheap alternative with bag or could I regret fo not having paid the extra €100 for a better instrument? Could the Sonoran resemble a toy or is it good enough for future little gigs?
Sonoran Mini

Malibu Player
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

My understanding is that they are all terrible, but pretty.

A mate of mine has a Sonoran that I've played a fair bit. It was not very good. There will be much better acoustics for the money.

I suppose it depends on how much you really want that headstock and those colours.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I tried a Sonoran in a shop. It wasn't good to me. The scale is way too short and I personally felt it was unplayable because of that. It IS very toyish and sounds boxy. Also the action was very high on that particular guitar because of how the bridge was set up and also because the neck had significant relief and needed the truss rod to be tightened. It wasn't worth its money for sure. I haven't played Malibu and have no opinion about it
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Fender acoustics are shit.

I can't tell you where they sell them since I do not know where you are at check out the Eastman PCH series or the Eastman E1/E2 series.

This is In UK
http://rguitars.co.uk/collections/east ... ic-guitars

Where are you located.

I have a deal with them so I get them at a great price myself. I have an E10ss, AC520CE, E2OM-cd, and a t486 as well as a mandolin of theirs. Made in China but by amazing luthiers who stated out (and still do) building violins, etc.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I have a Taylor Big Baby, I think Martin might also make some smaller models as well...I never played a Fender acoustic that was anything special.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, every Fender acoustic I played was meh. One exception was a CP100 parlor. It didn't sound that good but the combination of the look, how it felt and the fact that despite having a small body it produced enough bass made it desirable. Still sounded rather boxy and dead as most plywood gutars do.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Both my acoustics are Fenders.

I will fight all of you
dots wrote:incesticide
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

Yeah. They won't stay in tune with a capo on..
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Fender acoustics aren't great but some of the newer ones are passable instruments... I do think of them as budget guitars at intermediate prices, though.

Those '60s "broomstick" ones like the Malibu and Newporter are dogshit but the new "player" series guitars with the same model names are probably decent enough for a higher-priced entry acoustic... you could get the same amount of guitar for way less money if you forgo the Strat headstock/electric guitar paintjob though... those acoustics GFS sell for under $200 are probably comparable to the sort of Fenders rob has.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I played one of those 90s Fender all mahogany acoustics. Really nice neck.

I've always wanted an Avalon, but seeing that I never play acoustic, there wouldn't be much of a point in getting one.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Has anyone tried one of those Recording King parlor guitars?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

plopswagon wrote:Has anyone tried one of those Recording King parlor guitars?
I have not but alot of the guys on the Eastman FB group have them. Seem to be a decent budget option. I am not a parlor guy though. My OM is as small a guitar as I want.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Yeah dude the guitar fetish acoustics have sicccc finishes

For 200 bucks you get this weird courdaroy wood that I could do epic pick scrapes on
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

I really love the little malibu. Sounds boxy, but thats not a bug, it's a feature. Plugged in it sounds really great. Love the "little" sound of it...

[video width=400 height=350]http://www.youtube.com/embed/PQ3fvPpFGY0[/video]
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

there have been two fender acoustics i've played that were worth a damn, and they were both made in the early 90s. one belonged to my late high school friend and did not have the fender-shaped headstock. the other now is in st jimmy's possession after having, first, been owned by our cousin who then sold it to a friend, and then finally landing in my brother's lap. neither were electric. the latter i believe is a redondo series, the full dreadnought (read: no weedly weedly cut-away). as for my friend's, i cannot figure it out, other than knowing it was a full dreadnought with a standard headstock and natural finish.

anyway, both of those instruments sound(ed) good even if not as great as a gibson, martin, or taylor. i haven't picked up any of the newer model fender acoustics, so take that for what it's worth.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I don't know about the made in the 90s guitars and the current line, but those that were made 5 years ago were like the cheapest feeling guitars that Fender intentionally put its logo on for beginners to buy based on the hype. It seems that nowadays Fender makes a lot of models with a solid top which in theory should be awesome, I haven't played so I don't know
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

jagsonic wrote:I really love the little malibu. Sounds boxy, but thats not a bug, it's a feature. Plugged in it sounds really great. Love the "little" sound of it...

It looks nice. Is the song really about driving an excavator(i've translated the title)?
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

sunshiner wrote:
jagsonic wrote:I really love the little malibu. Sounds boxy, but thats not a bug, it's a feature. Plugged in it sounds really great. Love the "little" sound of it...

It looks nice. Is the song really about driving an excavator(i've translated the title)?
LOL yeah, this song is dedicated to a friends dad who was a truckdriver and drove a flatbed truck with an excavator (or digger?)... the hookline is "i'd love to drive an excavator, drive an excavator, drive an excavator, excavatordriving must be fine..." :lol:
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

all your instagram jams with this are LEGIT
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

thx rob :oops: