Jazzmaster Players - Vintera

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

izodiak

Jazzmaster Players - Vintera

Post by izodiak »

I wanted to ask about Jazzmaster Players, cant find any in my country.
Wanted to know (cant really tell by youtube videos, more rely on You) is this coil split
switch any good ? Or better get more bucks and get an Vintera ?
(Or just the Squier J Masics, I could play here and loved the sound)
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I played one a while back and it was pretty decent. Needs a new bridge but good neck and pickups.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
jc808

Post by jc808 »

Many people would agree that coil splitting is a compromise. You'll never get a "true" single coil sound from splitting a humbucker.

Personally, I think the Mascis is a better guitar for the money.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

There's definitely aftermarket humbuckers out there that will get you WAY closer to an authentic "single-coil" split tone, but I guarantee you the stock ones here won't.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

You're certainly not going to get a Jazzmaster sound from a split humbucker.

J. Mascis tone comes from running his fingers through several stompboxes.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

No, I dont even really know how he sounds.. I just played it in a guitar shop through a clean little tube vox.
That of course gave to the tone, but the playability was very nice (neck thickness and I dont know, just really liked something about it)

Recently the more I get to check out these (kind of) rosewood necks I understand that the setup of maple is my favorite.

Sorry if I sound little dumb, just trying to describe my field of emotions while holding an J.Massics Squier :D
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Buy the Mascis.

Someone I worked with played the same bill as MBV at a festival and got to talk to Kevin Shields. He even said the Mascis is the best Jazzmaster you can buy for the money.
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Yeah, they are really good. It sounds like what you'll most be happy with, so save your money a bit longer and get one shipped; it looks like Thomann still carry them.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

The pickguard type has some kind of story or its just how Mascis wanted it ?
Always been afraid of goldish stuff.
Got my money, soon gonna buy, now living in Netherlands, use this little "stick in" amp :"D
jc808

Post by jc808 »

izodiak wrote:The pickguard type has some kind of story or its just how Mascis wanted it ?
Always been afraid of goldish stuff.
Got my money, soon gonna buy, now living in Netherlands, use this little "stick in" amp :"D
It's brushed anodized gold. It's not bling bling gold. I believe it was an homage to the very first Jazzmaster's pickguard.

Besides, with the money you saved, just buy a mint pickguard:

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

That looks soooooooo nice (personal preference would be white but I like 'em crispy)
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

mmm.. that looks.. my imagination gets wet !

and if I get a snob latter on, You can buy some fender neck or something.. there are no crazy neck size mysteries about them ?

Because Ive been a hollow body lover, and played some yamahas, epiphones etc etc..because of this nice gretschy sound.. but this
jmasics jazzmaster I played.. I don know.. Ive got my first pay (left latvia,working in Netherlands) and really hoping next month for some "ordering" : )) ) )
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

the Mascis is probably the safest bet for sure, but gotta throw in some love for the cheaper Vintage Modified jazzmaster. people have had stinkers but I love mine, only thing I think I upgraded was the bridge to a fender one that came with my other jazzmaster. seriously love that guitar, definitely feels a little cheaper than my fender but plays and sounds just as good. I think it's called the classic vibe now, I've been tempted on getting a new one, but I don't need anymore shit, no room on the rack.

the Mascis reminded me more of the classic player series fender did, which were great guitars but personally I gotta have the tremolo moved back and while I like the mastery on my one, I kinda prefer the shitty vintage bridge.

but yeah, Mascis is the bang for the buck. good modding platform and alot of people like the neck. I felt like it was less "jazzmastery" which is probably what J wanted, better rock tones less choked surfy sounds.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Josh wrote:. I think it's called the classic vibe now, I've been tempted on getting a new one, but I don't need anymore shit, no room on the rack.
Classic Vibe series is generally a cut above the Vintage Modified line. The CV's I've played/owned were all perfectly fine from the factory with decent hardware, the VM stuff is good for a modding platform.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

There’s new Squier JMJM atm in Purple Sparkle. I think it’s an EU only release.
more being STOKED
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

They’re Classic Vibes aren’t they?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/squier-fsr- ... lic-purple
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Why are Squier trying to make me buy so many guitars? That purple JM is a beaut!
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

BearBoy wrote:They’re Classic Vibes aren’t they?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/squier-fsr- ... lic-purple
It’s purple, it’s a Mascis. Squier can gtfo.
more being STOKED
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Purple one looks interesting.. Even more crazes.. Hmm..
Will need to walk around some guit-shops when money hits the bank...try learning some dutch words on guitars..
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

god damn they're trying to clean me out, I didn't know I needed this.

and I guess they merged the vintage modified and classic vibe lines last year, can't find VM jaguars and jazzmasters new anymore, only classic vibe, they pretty much look the same too. got them non-rosewood rosewood boards or something if that's a thing for anyone. (gotta have my rosewood.) and I guess the classic vibes have a mustang like bridge instead of the janky old one. (interesting)

I want one of them jaguars, colors they're dropping are fucking nice. I've been trying to avoid looking at anything new because I'll want it, gotta get pedals before a new guitar and put together a proper board.