Bought my first guitar... again.

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Bought my first guitar... again.

Post by dezb1 »

Seeing as holidays are cancelled this year I've bought myself a new guitar project - one of these 'Satellite' Woolworths specials was the first guitar I ever owned, MIJ, plywood, bolt on neck. I remember it being an ok instrument, but I was far from an ok player. - it's took a bit of elbow grease but it's starting to look good, hoping I can give it a good setup and make it a decent playing guitar - if not at least it'll be a trip down memory lane.

XY
westtexasred
Shortscale Cultural Minister

Post by westtexasred »

Congrats! I had one like that,got it at Crazy Eddie's Record Store in 1978 for $99. Wish I still had it.

dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Rockin it in the pic Westie

Aye, I bought this as I've always been a bit sad i didnt keep my frist guitar. Had to fix a chip in the fretboard today where it looked like someone shot it with an air rifle... hopefully not a sign of frustrations to come.
XY
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Lovely stuff! My first electric (Squier Affinity Tele) is still the only guitar I've kept for longer than 2 or 3 years, play it all the time and I still love it. Glad you were able to rekindle, even if it isn't the exact same guitar.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Freddy V-C wrote:Lovely stuff! My first electric (Squier Affinity Tele) is still the only guitar I've kept for longer than 2 or 3 years, play it all the time and I still love it. Glad you were able to rekindle, even if it isn't the exact same guitar.
You should hold on to it. Back in the day mine got sold to fund the next guitar as I was permanently skint.
XY
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I intend to! Actually slightly prefer the feel of it over my Fender Tele.

I played bass for a couple of years before I had a guitar (my mates were all learning guitar and I was a contrarian), and it does seem a bit of a shame that I didn't keep my first bass. It played/sounded like shit though, so probably not that big a deal.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I think the only guitar I ever sold on was my first guitar, an MIC Squier Bullet Series Stratocaster. It was very much "shitty Squier junk" (a thing we all-too-frequently pretend never existed now, though admittedly that's because they got their shit in one sock a few years after this with the big headstock Affinities). I guess it would've been a '95 or '96, and I see that they made some in Korea around that time too.

The neck was the main problem by miles, but like, even the paintjob was really poorly done (and it was A BLACK STRAT, The Brooding Man's Times New Roman of guitars... I didn't even think you could fuck that up).

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Modern bullet strats aren't that awesome either. 9 out of 10 are super heavy. 9.5 radius with some super jumbo frets makes it really awkward to play
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Well finished the work on the guitar. Strung it up and had a good shot at annoying the neighbours last night, am rather pleased with it, it's looking good for a 40ish year old guitar.

XY
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Looks well!
paul_ wrote:A BLACK STRAT, The Brooding Man's Times New Roman of guitars... .
This is perfect.
cooter

Post by cooter »

Nice. 8)
Smells like Rock n' Roll
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Wow, it's held up well. I have a reasonably well-cared for mid-90s Epiphone Custom that looks older than that just from natural aging of finish/binding, hardware, etc
sunshiner wrote:Modern bullet strats aren't that awesome either. 9 out of 10 are super heavy. 9.5 radius with some super jumbo frets makes it really awkward to play
Yeah, I should clarify that it wasn't exactly the way they do the Bullet and Affinity lines now, it was sort of the precursor to the Affinity line. It just had a weird thick neck profile that I didn't like when my hands were even smaller than they are today (I didn't really know how to play very well when I had it so I never just dealt with it the way I would with '60s pawnshop wackiness now).

Those early Affinities had lovely slim necks. I set up my friend's Strat and was impressed with it, my bass player had a P-Bass that was great to play, and I got a Tele in 2004 just because I'd never had one and it was only $200 (and I liked the neck a lot more than the one on that year's MIM Standard).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Cheers I'm very pleased with it. I have found the fly in the ointment thought I have one note that buzzes like a mofo if I play D at the 5th fret on the A string, the 5 other notes on this fret are fine. - am now looking into sorting this... hoping the next fret up has popped a bit and a light tap down will suffice.
XY
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Looks very clean... I got a nice black guitar with no golds etc etc...very nice looks of this clean design.

Wanted to ask is it something special for this kind of neck joint, its no usual les paul style.

Put in some TV jones :P
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

izodiak wrote:Looks very clean... I got a nice black guitar with no golds etc etc...very nice looks of this clean design.

Wanted to ask is it something special for this kind of neck joint, its no usual les paul style.

Put in some TV jones :P
The neck joint is standard 70s/80s made in Japan stuff

Like this guy did? (Think his are filtertrons)

XY