Squier CV '70s Jaguar demo and ramble

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Squier CV '70s Jaguar demo and ramble

Post by Doog »

[youtube][/youtube]
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Sounds great Doog, seems amazing for the price.
I always wanted a black/tort guitar...very classy and even more so with the Jag chrome.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Dude, 9:26 I so thought you were gonna bust out some Skynyrd (that smell) :lol:

Nice demo. Sadly I’m not a blocks and binding fan, otherwise I’d consider chopping in my CIJ for one of these.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Noirie.
YOUTH

Re: Squier CV '70s Jaguar demo and ramble

Post by Noirie. »

Doog wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Fixed.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Thom wrote:Sounds great Doog, seems amazing for the price.
I always wanted a black/tort guitar...very classy and even more so with the Jag chrome.
Thanks man, it's a lovely combo for sure. The tort's darker in person so it blends a little more, plus it's a lot more '3D' in terms of the detail. Might pick up a few other colours, I love Johnny Marr's redder tort here too:}

[youtube][/youtube]
gusman2x wrote:Dude, 9:26 I so thought you were gonna bust out some Skynyrd (that smell) :lol:
haha, as if I had my shit together enough. I didn't realise that's a Skynyrd song; I've seen it used in a some meme video or something and it cracked me up. Gonna spend the rest of my life trying to find it now
Noirie. wrote:
Doog wrote:[youtube][/youtube]
Fixed.
:lol:
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Doog wrote:
Thanks man, it's a lovely combo for sure. The tort's darker in person so it blends a little more, plus it's a lot more '3D' in terms of the detail. Might pick up a few other colours, I love Johnny Marr's redder tort here too:}

[youtube][/youtube]
There used to be a website wholly dedicated to Johnny Marr and his guitars. I remember reading something about Marr going to a mall while on a tour with other guitarist from the band and them buying stickers to decorate their guitars, Marr's being the black Jaguar. When you first posted about acquiring the Jag I wanted to advise you to buy the stickers :D
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Haha yeah, I'm not enough a Marr fanboy to recreate anything, just like his playing and approach. Looks like it was the drummer from Modest Mouse, and the Jag used to be Issac's:

Johnny Marr wrote:This is the 1963 Black Jaguar that I got from Isaac Brock when I joined Modest Mouse. Isaac didn’t like it but I loved it and I fixed it up and got it going. I wrote “Dashboard� on it and used it on the tour. Me and Jeremiah Green went out to Walmart in Oxford Mississippi at three am on a break whilst recording the Modest Mouse album and bought a load of stickers.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Some slightly more representative photos, dust: model's is own

Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

How you liking the narrow tall frets?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Noirie. wrote:How you liking the narrow tall frets?
They're about the same as that blue Home The Armless superstrat I have, so it doesn't feel too unfamiliar and I don't really notice it, esp as I'm not just sliding powerchords around on this. Defo feels very different to CIJ Jag neck you sold me that's on my Mustang, but not in a bad way; it's probably making me be more precise a player.

With a capo on the first fret, it feels a lot more comfortable, so I definitely need to cut the nut a little more. The most noticeable thing is probably the fret ends, but they're not too sharp. Will look into how to best round them off without fucking with the binding.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Fret issue could possibly be humidity related?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Hmm maybe, but it is very minor, and I've heard the same things from a lot of people the globe over; I'd be pretty surprised if it was, given the other minor QA shortcomings.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

The tort looks the same as on my Mustang. Kind of like it even though I used to be a tort hater.

Nice demo, good sounds. Don't know if I want a Jaguar, but I enjoyed the demo.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Finally got around to watching this, it looks and sounds great. Also, the most succinct definition of how Jaguar wiring works that I’ve ever heard.

But those Overt0anz with the distortion on are definitely cool sondz. I don’t think I could ever use a jag properly because I don’t ever play with anything less than full volume and full tone but it’s definitely a cool thing
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

kingkiller wrote:Finally got around to watching this, it looks and sounds great. Also, the most succinct definition of how Jaguar wiring works that I’ve ever heard.

But those Overt0anz with the distortion on are definitely cool sondz. I don’t think I could ever use a jag properly because I don’t ever play with anything less than full volume and full tone but it’s definitely a cool thing
Ehhh, it's not like you NEED to use the knobs; plenty of people just use the circuit toggle as a killswitch, with the rhythm volume circuit on zero.

And yeah, having watched a lot of Jag demos recently, with the demoer dumbfounded about what these extra 3 controls could possibly do, I had to readdress the balance.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

great demo! the sounds and visuals are superb, and the range of sounds i think make a strong case for the jag as a pretty versatile instrument.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:Ehhh, it's not like you NEED to use the knobs; plenty of people just use the circuit toggle as a killswitch, with the rhythm volume circuit on zero.

And yeah, having watched a lot of Jag demos recently, with the demoer dumbfounded about what these extra 3 controls could possibly do, I had to readdress the balance.
Wild that Anderto0anz is a massive guitar retailer and they botch jaguar wiring every time
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I enjoyed the stones riff, I used to use the rhythm circuit in my 67 Jazzmaster for that 70's Keif tones
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

kingkiller wrote:
Doog wrote:And yeah, having watched a lot of Jag demos recently, with the demoer dumbfounded about what these extra 3 controls could possibly do, I had to readdress the balance.
Wild that Anderto0anz is a massive guitar retailer and they botch jaguar wiring every time
lol yeah, they suck

I'm tempted (presuming it's not a wiring overhaul, my memory is hazy) to switch the rhythm circuit to use the bridge pickup. The idea of switching between two volumes is aces for using something like a very reactive fuzz, and having a slightly less trebley version at the flick of a switch is also appealing...

Thanks for watching, guys x
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Doog wrote:
kingkiller wrote:
Doog wrote:And yeah, having watched a lot of Jag demos recently, with the demoer dumbfounded about what these extra 3 controls could possibly do, I had to readdress the balance.
lol yeah, they suck

I'm tempted (presuming it's not a wiring overhaul, my memory is hazy) to switch the rhythm circuit to use the bridge pickup. The idea of switching between two volumes is aces for using something like a very reactive fuzz, and having a slightly less trebley version at the flick of a switch is also appealing...

Thanks for watching, guys x
If both pickups are the same, you could do it without changing anything in the wiring. Just move the actual pickups.