Squier VMM Mustang.

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Acidhouse

Squier VMM Mustang.

Post by Acidhouse »

Yes, VMM Vintage Modified modified. So far, I’ve replaced the bridge, knobs and pickups. I swapped the DDs with a neck and middle set of Am Strat pickups from 2005. The VM is a great platform and doesn’t need much but a couple of tweaks can take these Mustangs to a different level.

The meaning of life? 42.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Here ya go Image
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Forgot how much I like the look of those necks (dug the thicc feel of them too).

My issues with mine were mostly bridge related, which subsequent owners sorted out after I sold it. Also the absolute palest sonic blue ever, I really think that color was a mistake. Is that the original tort? It looks nice with the cream covers (the knobs and vibrato arm should be stained to match IMHO)
jagsonic

Post by jagsonic »

Really nice mustang. Love the colorcombination.
Acidhouse

Post by Acidhouse »

Thanks for fixing the picture. Somehow I’ve become tech dumb with posting pics. Yeah it’s the original guard. I really hate the cheap look of the pickguard but it works better with the pickup covers. I would like to stain the knobs and arm but I’ve never had luck doing it. I’ve tried the sun, coffee, pickle juice and my white plastics stay Clorox white. I actually like the pale sonic blue look.
The meaning of life? 42.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Acidhouse wrote:Thanks for fixing the picture. Somehow I’ve become tech dumb with posting pics.
You need the full path to post on this creaky old forum, so like http://www.greatguitars.com/imgs/wangcaster.jpg or whatever

Looking good! I like the turbo-aged cream vibes against the (surprisingly nice-looking) tort and pale sonic blue, very retro.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The website you hosted the image on doesn't show the file path for the images. I had to right click + view page source in order to find the image files (ctrl+f ".jpg") and got lucky on the first try.

It's been about 10 years since I've stained anything but when I did I think I used hot coffee (not leaving the parts in for very long). Using a mild abrasive first might also help the stain bond to the plastic.
Acidhouse

Post by Acidhouse »

Thanks for the tips on posting picks and staining the plastic pieces. I’m wary of hot coffee. I did it one time and it was too hot. I still have the warped Strat knobs. I’m saving them in case I ever want to do a Salvador Dali inspired Strat. ;)
The meaning of life? 42.