Jazzmaster Partscaster Build - DONE! PICS P2

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Jazzmaster Partscaster Build - DONE! PICS P2

Post by Thom »

When I switched out the neck on my Jazzmaster back in February I had every intention of selling the maple original...but then COVID hit, and so no access to P.O. for a a while, then procrastination hit...and finally after 5 months I got to thinking, maybe I should use it in a project **happy** After all, I've got a parts box that could pretty much cover most of it...just need a body...
So that's what I'm doing. I had pickups, knobs, various switches, caps, wire, neck plate all ready to go. The decision was actually made when I found a Squier Classic Vibe lefty trem, bridge, thimbles and bar for £40 (which I thought was a huge bargain!). Really happy to find that as the bridge is 9.5" radius like the neck, and also the narrower 52mm spacing so the Es won't be so close to the edge of the fretboard. So after buying that, a couple of rollers for the rhythm circuit, the L-shaped bar thing that the rhythm pots attach to (whatever it's called), a cheap pickguard (£8.95!!!), some new wire and foam this is where I am:

Have wired up the pickguard:

I've changed plenty of pickups and broken switches over the years, but this is the first time I've wired a full guard - I have to say, I'm really pleased with how it came out! (Disclaimer - the lead circuit pots/input jack were part of a harness I had already bought...proper lefty pots too!). Ordered an unfinished lefty body from guitarbuild.co.uk. Toying with a DIY finish, but I also know a couple of people who will do a much better job than me so I will probably go down that route. Waiting on some shielding tape too, but I think that's it. Body should be on its way tomorrow - so more to follow!
Last edited by Thom on Thu Oct 08, 2020 8:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Ooh, watching this thread with interest Thom. Friend of mine built a few guitars, and he swore by using slug tape as shielding tape; they sell it in Willkos.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

benecol wrote:Ooh, watching this thread with interest Thom. Friend of mine built a few guitars, and he swore by using slug tape as shielding tape; they sell it in Willkos.
Cheers for the tip Tim! I will head to Wilkos next time I'm in town.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Body arrived and I’m really pleased, very clean.
Only tiny flaw is a small splinter at the top neck screw hole.

Mocked up with parts:

Incredibly the cheap pickguard fits perfectly! Had expected to have to work on that.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

That looks great. Really good job on the wiring.

People use copper tape to deter slugs, but I suspect that copper tape is cheaper than slug tape.

I've looked at guitarbuild bodies before, half planning a jazzy project. Was it sold as a blemish? It looks fine and the splinter wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But on the other hand, the bodies they sell are expensive and should be professional standard. They should be holding themselves to that standard and not shipping something that has a fault (even as minor as this) on it. If you were buying that body to build something to sell, the splinter wouldn't be acceptable.

I reckon send them a cheeky email. Might get a couple of quid back on a body that you're perfectly happy with.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

SLUGS!

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

This is starting to look quite exciting! What colour are you thinking?
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Just the shot above of the unfinished body and the maple board make it look like some insane 70s alternate reality fender where they took the natural finish look they were applying to all the teles and strats and made a jazzmaster like that! I assume you're looking to do some fun color but I'd love that thing looking the way it is with a clear finish. Very unique!
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

BillClay wrote:Just the shot above of the unfinished body and the maple board make it look like some insane 70s alternate reality fender where they took the natural finish look they were applying to all the teles and strats and made a jazzmaster like that! I assume you're looking to do some fun color but I'd love that thing looking the way it is with a clear finish. Very unique!
ssshhhhh! That's very much my plan! (but I'll never get round to it...)
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Bacchus wrote:That looks great. Really good job on the wiring.
People use copper tape to deter slugs, but I suspect that copper tape is cheaper than slug tape.

I've looked at guitarbuild bodies before, half planning a jazzy project. Was it sold as a blemish? It looks fine and the splinter wouldn't bother me in the slightest. But on the other hand, the bodies they sell are expensive and should be professional standard. They should be holding themselves to that standard and not shipping something that has a fault (even as minor as this) on it. If you were buying that body to build something to sell, the splinter wouldn't be acceptable.

I reckon send them a cheeky email. Might get a couple of quid back on a body that you're perfectly happy with.
Cheers Paul – my soldering is usually pretty hit and miss, but I really took my time on this one, really pleased with the result. After investigation, you’re right :lol: - a roll of non-slug specific copper tape is on the way. And yeah, just took a close up pic and will ping them a cheeky email and see if anything comes of it.
Freddy V-C wrote:This is starting to look quite exciting! What colour are you thinking?
Thanks Freddy! I’m glad you asked me that, I’ve been mocking up pics today to try and make a decision. I’ve wanted a Shell Pink guitar forever, and if it was a rosewood neck that’s what I would go for without question. Mint guard, like this:

But….maple neck changes everything, as I want more contrast, not a light colour with a light neck. So, with the tort guard in consideration too, I’m going to go for Ocean Turqoise Metallic – hopefully something like this shitty paint mockup:

Bacchus wrote:
BillClay wrote:Just the shot above of the unfinished body and the maple board make it look like some insane 70s alternate reality fender where they took the natural finish look they were applying to all the teles and strats and made a jazzmaster like that! I assume you're looking to do some fun color but I'd love that thing looking the way it is with a clear finish. Very unique!
ssshhhhh! That's very much my plan! (but I'll never get round to it...)
:lol:
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Hot as fuck!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Hurb wrote:Hot as fuck!
SEX-EE!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Cheers guys.

Spent this morning putting it together properly to do the pickguard, pickup and trem screw holes. Neck pocket was snug, and I did a tiny bit of sanding on one side to make sure it could go in perfectly straight. Had a set of strings that had gone rusty from sitting in a box for a decade which I used to test it. Very pleased everything aligned! The pickups are out of phase in the middle position, as it’s a Fender neck pup and Bareknuckle bridge. Should have remembered they wind them differently. Easy fix. Just did the strap button holes so I think it’s ready to go.

Sending it for painting next week, then will come the agonising 4-6 week wait for it to come back!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Thom wrote:I’m going to go for Ocean Turqoise Metallic
Same neck/finish/guard/pickup plastics combo as my strat!

Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

benecol wrote:Same neck/finish/guard/pickup plastics combo as my strat!
Exactly what I'm going for! That is a lovely guitar - had forgotten you had that.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Pickguard shielded:
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Sealer on the body. Being done by the very talented Jon @RexterGuitars.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

First colour coats done <3

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

**happy**
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

First clearcoat: