Guitar storage solutions?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Freddy V-C wrote:
Doog wrote:Man, you need to stop worrying about what people will think of your [checks notes] .. guitar storage? Is.. is that right?
Doog, you’ve met me, in the flesh, multiple times. You know how unbelievably neurotic I am.

In all seriousness though, I am half joking in this thread. I am more than happy to just buy a £40 rack from Thomann and leave it at that, and I don’t genuinely think all my friends will judge me for owning an ugly guitar rack. BUT it would be nice to have something that looks nicer, if that thing exists.

We’re a forum full of deeply shallow men who frequently compare one slab of wood painted blue to another slightly differently shaped slab of wood painted a slightly different shade of blue. We all obviously buy half this shit just to look cool. Is it really that ridiculous (I mean yes, fair enough, it is quite ridiculous) for me to want my guitar stand to look cool (yes, it absolutely is ridiculous)?

Sorry guys, the forum's over, shut it down. Doog says we're not allowed to worry about looking cool anymore. We all have to sit in a room with blank grey walls playing a black unbranded Strat copy through a Roland Cube.

I'm sorry, it's not my decision guys, it's Doog. I don't make the rules. Blame Doog.
F

(it was supposed to read more as a "have faith in your decisions, you're great, plus this is for home storage, not your Guitar World rig rundown")
We all have to sit in a room with blank grey walls playing a black unbranded Strat copy through a Roland Cube.
Although I do quite like this.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

BearBoy wrote:If you'd prefer something a little less "black tubular metal" or "delusions of world stadium tours", there's someone on eBay who makes wooden stands in a variety of sizes/finishes: LANK
See, this is exactly the kind of thing I was trying to find! I couldn't really find anything in the UK for some reason.

Now to weigh up whether Doog will judge me for spending £120 on a nice guitar rack... :lol:

(It's all a big joke, I am incapable of dealing with almost anything sincerely, oh no, etc.)
Last edited by Freddy V-C on Wed Aug 26, 2020 9:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Freddy V-C wrote:Now to weigh up whether Doog will judge me for spending £120 on a nice guitar rack... :lol:
OH COME ON
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

benecol wrote:
Freddy V-C wrote:We’re a forum full of deeply shallow men...
With you all the way baby. If this fuckwittery continues, we'll just start our own forum somewhere else.
Is deeplyshallowmenwhofrequentlycompareoneslabofwoodpaintedbluetoanotherslightlydifferentlyshapedslabofwoodpaintedaslightlydifferentshadeofblue.org still available?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

BearBoy wrote:
benecol wrote:
Freddy V-C wrote:We’re a forum full of deeply shallow men...
With you all the way baby. If this fuckwittery continues, we'll just start our own forum somewhere else.
Is deeplyshallowmenwhofrequentlycompareoneslabofwoodpaintedbluetoanotherslightlydifferentlyshapedslabofwoodpaintedaslightlydifferentshadeofblue.org still available?
Nah, Offset bought the domain already
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

*amber* *angry*
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

CURVEBALL: I'm not keen on those artisanal plank ones.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I like the design/shape/whathaveyou, but I'm not sure about the plain wood business. If they made one painted white or some tasteful pastel colour, it would be perfect.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Just in case you did want a load of single stands, I acquired a load from Doogfests past that I'd like to replace with the aforementioned ugmo G4M rack at some point (or the bunkbed Nick just posted).

Happy to forward on for nowt other than shipping (for Freddy or anyone tbh)
Last edited by Doog on Wed Aug 26, 2020 11:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

My actual take - I had one of those metal and foam 5 space racks for a while, ended up selling it in favor of single stands for two reasons. It was hard to take a guitar out without accidentally tapping into the neighboring guitars, which might have led to an accidental ding or two in my softer wood guitars. The other problem was in a practice space setting, people would put guitars on it either facing out, or in the correct direction but with the bottom resting on the outer bar instead of between the two. This just made me paranoid I would get blamed for a bandmate’s clumsiness when their guitar inevitably fell over, or cause it to domino into one of mine.

I think some of those road case style stands have more support between necks which could help to slide guitars in or out the correct way without bumping. I would get whichever case does this best if you definitely need a rack.

Personally I would get a couple of nice single stands for your go to guitars to have them within reach, and put the rest in cases or bags in closets/under the bed.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

BearBoy wrote:If you'd prefer something a little less "black tubular metal" or "delusions of world stadium tours", there's someone on eBay who makes wooden stands in a variety of sizes/finishes: LANK
Ooooh, I like those. Nice price too. Hhmmn.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I think that the fancy "nice" looking ones are pretty terrible looking. They look like terrible looking furniture. For storing guitars, I have one of the cheap, tube and foam jobs that does what it's supposed to. It's sort of out of the way though. My living room however is littered with guitars on single stands. Guitars are class looking. The less stuff you put around them the better, so the small stands like Tim posted are ideal.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Freddy V-C wrote:
Sorry guys, the forum's over, shut it down. Doog says we're not allowed to worry about looking cool anymore. We all have to sit in a room with blank grey walls.
Grey walls are currently cool. Get with it, grandad.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Bacchus wrote:I think that the fancy "nice" looking ones are pretty terrible looking. They look like terrible looking furniture. For storing guitars, I have one of the cheap, tube and foam jobs that does what it's supposed to. It's sort of out of the way though. My living room however is littered with guitars on single stands. Guitars are class looking. The less stuff you put around them the better, so the small stands like Tim posted are ideal.
Pretty much this.

My favorite guitar stand is this little Proline FS100E for that reason. Unfortunately it looks like they might have replaced it with the FS100AE to accommodate both electrics and acoustics, but doesn’t look as clean.

NickS

Post by NickS »

Doog wrote:Just in case you did want a load of single stands, I acquired a load from Doogfests past
People brought guitars, guitar stands and beer and left you with the empties?
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

If you are even remotely handy you could make something similiar easy enough with a few basic tools for probably less than $30.00.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Freddy V-C wrote:Guitar storage solutions?
You've got two sheds, man(has anyone made this joke yet?)
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

mickie08 wrote:If you are even remotely handy you could make something similiar easy enough with a few basic tools for probably less than $30.00.
"Remotely" handy would be a very generous description, tbh. But I might give it a try.
sunshiner wrote:You've got two sheds, man(has anyone made this joke yet?)
Joke's on you, I moved house and I don't even have a shed anymore.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

are we not just leaning guitars against our amps anymore? I blame cancel culture.