NGD 1965/66 Mustang - photos page 2

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

NGD 1965/66 Mustang - photos page 2

Post by Nick »

Thread title stolen from Jalopnik - my local shop just got in this 1965 Mustang. I saw it in person yesterday, it’s gorgeous and plays nicely. It looks to be all original, with OHSC, vibrato arm and bridge cover. They’re asking $2,199. I could justify it to myself as a long term investment but I’m not up on vintage Mustang values at the moment. Saw an oly white 1964 in rougher shape sell on eBay recently for $1400 but most 60’s mustangs are listed in the 2’s, just don’t know if they’re actually selling.

http://www.parkwaymusic.com/shop/Used- ... 584916.htm

Last edited by Nick on Sun Sep 13, 2020 8:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Pretty. No idea of the value though (suspect it would cost more than that over here).
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Don't know what the average going rate for a '65 Mustang is now (a cursory googlin' reveals $2150 to be the upper end appraisal for a '60s Mustang on Reverb and I only see them listed for substantially more on eBay), but that thing is teh turbosex so I don't think they're being totally unrealistic or anything.

You could probably find a better deal, but examples that clean will only go up in value from here on out. I've started buying any '60s guitar I can actually afford that I've always wanted, though admittedly not paid over $850 (1967 [SG-shaped] Melody Maker) so far.

There's a refin Dakota on Reverb for $1400 but it's previously been routed for a humbucker (so, pickups and pickguard non-original as well).
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Yeah thst is beautiful!
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

I dont want to put a seed in your brain that this thing isnt nice, but I'm not paying 2 grand for teh Kurdtz blue compstang from the teen spirit video. Not like a vintage 69 one, but the actual guitar from the video.
dots wrote:incesticide
NickD

Post by NickD »

It looks an awful lot like my old Mustang, but mine was a 72 and a refin so value comparisons would be irrelevant. Looks lovely though.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

robroe wrote:I dont want to put a seed in your brain that this thing isnt nice, but I'm not paying 2 grand for teh Kurdtz blue compstang from the teen spirit video. Not like a vintage 69 one, but the actual guitar from the video.

Yeah that Kurdtz stang is probably trash tho.

Also I refrained from ordering three new Squiers at once when the Paranormals dropped so I feel like I might deserve this?
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

You could buy like 5 of them for this much.

I just bought the 3rd one and I'm done.

I'm still up about 900 on you if you buy this
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

I suspect no amount of fantastic squiers would match having a mid 60s fender. Assuming it’s a good one of course.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Is this not probably in line with what a non refin mustang is now? I thought there was a sharp increase on all things vintage over the last 5 years?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

They'll only be growing more. Vintage guitars like ancient icons or other antiques were made in limited numbers and will be growing in price the older they get. Other thing is due to Youtube and social media more people are getting involved into the whole rocknroll culture and demand on vintage instruments will be growing because of the hype. I'd buy two of each guitars that I could afford at the moment - one for me and one to flip some years later down the line. Jaguars that aren't considered "proper" vintage guitars yet will probably be going for ten times more than they cost now in 10 years or something

Then again, I wouldn't probably play a guitar that valuable in order to safe the frets from wearing, from pissing accidentally all over it or from any other thing that could depreciate the value of it
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

sunshiner wrote:Then again, I wouldn't probably play a guitar that valuable in order to safe the frets from wearing, from pissing accidentally all over it or from any other thing that could depreciate the value of it
Like Dot smashing it over my head?
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yes. Dot does that to people that he feels affection towards
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I’m an idiot. Sold my Yamaha SG-80T yesterday and had band practice immediately after. Knew I was going up tomorrow (today), but someone had JUST put a hold on it. I got to play it for a bit and they gave me second dibs but just checked their website and it’s gone. A simple call for a one day hold would have prevented this.

Is there a difference between L plates and non? There’s another 65 on eBay right now for a little less $ in similar condition but doesn’t have the L plate.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Update, just messaged one of the employees on FB and found out they just took it down because it's on hold. Not sold yet....

[youtube][/youtube]
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

L plate?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The neck plate serial number.

Basically I’m a fan of the A width and the 60’s nitro finish. If I don’t get this exact guitar I want to at least get one with those features. I understand there were some changes to the ‘69+ models, but if I liked this early 65 slab would I be just as happy with a 66-68?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I think with the money you were ready to spend on this one you could buy any good mustang you want. If it ends up being sold, I'd wait for another one in a similar condition and with the same features to pop up
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

This is the other one I am considering. I found out the seller also had it listed on Facebook marketplace and is only 2 hours away. I’m talking with the seller on Facebook now and asking for more photos/information.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/402411814060
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

don't listen to rob's comparison's of his squier addiction to the same shape of the same guitar versus a 55yo antique, ffs. one doesn't buy invest in something like this because they need a workhorse guitar to gig with/rage on in the basement. it's a piece of history that has a lot of sentiment and value in it that, oh yeah, can also make beautiful recordings. maybe you could shave a hundo or two off the price; maybe not. i agree with the sentiment that this is only going to increase in value, so no time like the present.

let's put it this way -- it likely won't depreciate much if any at all if you change your mind/need funds a year from now.