NGD 1965/66 Mustang - photos page 2

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

dots wrote:don't listen to rob's comparison's of his squier addiction to the same shape of the same guitar versus a 55yo antique, ffs. one doesn't buy invest in something like this because they need a workhorse guitar to gig with/rage on in the basement. it's a piece of history that has a lot of sentiment and value in it that, oh yeah, can also make beautiful recordings. maybe you could shave a hundo or two off the price; maybe not. i agree with the sentiment that this is only going to increase in value, so no time like the present.

let's put it this way -- it likely won't depreciate much if any at all if you change your mind/need funds a year from now.
^That's pretty much my exact thoughts about it.

The seller of the eBay Mustang measured the nut and confirmed 1.5" width, and claims the frets are in very good shape w/no buzz and was not played very often. I sent a fair offer slightly higher than the final value after the cuts eBay and Paypal would take; He took down the eBay listing and I'm driving down to NJ on Sunday to pick it up. The seller seems like an honest guy but he didn't take the best photos and he doesn't seem comfortable with removing the neck and such. I plan to bring tools with me and try to check as much as I can out before purchase (neck stamp/pocket cracks, pickups and body cavity).
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Good luck, hope it's a winner and you drive back with it
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

agreed. best of luck, nick!
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

That’s super nice nick. Hope it works out. I think Dakota red is the only colour for mustangs, maybe LPB/BMM at a push.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Some things to look out for:

Slot head screw for holding the reverb handle and only two steps for holding the spring.
Reissues have three steps for spring tension, and a hex nut for holding the handle.

1960s bridges have those anthill or volcano things on the sides.

1970s or reissue bridges do not.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Cheers! That information is super helpful and I really had no idea.

What do you mean by 3 step vs 2 step? Is that something I can check for without disassembling the vibrato unit?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Nick wrote:What do you mean by 3 step vs 2 step? Is that something I can check for without disassembling the vibrato unit?
Nope, it's that thing on the left that the spring attaches to. There is an extra place to the left of that where you can move the spring's circular end to. The reissues have three levels instead of two.

Well you don't have to disassemble the unit, just remove it from the body.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Ah, I’m probably going to need to gamble on that then, if everything else checks out I’m thinking there’s a low chance anyone swapped that out at some point.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I may be having a some second thoughts as I'm now realizing all the differences besides serial number. This one is likely an early 1966, possibly a late 1965. Which means a larger headstock, probably slab fretboard, pearl inlays instead of clay dots, F tuners, from what I can tell an increased possibility the neck is actually a B width if it is indeed a slab (I can't find any photos of a slab A width neck).

Most of these changes may all be minor cosmetic differences, and I'm not about to claim I can hear or feel the difference between a slab or veneer rosewood fretboard, but overall I think I would prefer the aesthetic of the simpler, delicate features of the earlier models.

That said I think I will still go check it out and hopefully like it enough to bring it back. It still looks to be in amazing condition, and since guitars from this era can vary so much from piece to piece I think there might be an equal odds that I'll like this one to one that matches my specs on paper disappointing me if I bought it blind.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I bought it. It was in as described condition, could use a setup but plays fine as it is. The switches could do with a contact cleaner, although the pots look all original and still function smoothly. It is actually a B neck as I suspected but that may be better in the long run, as it’s still narrower than most modern guitars and is still super comfortable. Also despite being a late 65/66 model, it has my preference of laminate fretboard instead of slab.

I’ll take more photos later, I’ll add gut photos when I change the strings. I did check under the pickguard before I bought it but just enough to see that it hadn’t been routed for a humbucker or anything. I’m a bit afraid to take the neck off since the seller claims it has never been removed, and his father is doubtful the previous owner he bought it from in the early 70’s would have had reason to remove it. I may just ask for a photo when I have it set up.

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Looks lovely!
Noisy Cat

Post by Noisy Cat »

*fap* *fap* *fap*
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Amazing. Congrats!
I think a B width is better, I had an A neck on a ‘62 duo sonic And it was pretty cool, but in the end felt cramped to play. The B is as you say still smaller than most modern necks.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Nice one Nick **happy**

Glad it worked out.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Amazing
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Congrats!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
MattK

Post by MattK »

Nice one, looks like it's in collector grade condition, unlike my 65/66 mongrel
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

^that one looks fun as hell tho and still collectible I’m sure. Less relic’d than many new Fender Custom Shops I’ve seen.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks super classy, congrats!
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

V. nice!