NCD- New Cabinet Day?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

NCD- New Cabinet Day?

Post by kingkiller »

As anyone who was on the Zoom call yesterday heard me repeat dozens of times because I’m really excited about it: I sold my old digital amp that I’ve had for almost a decade, and purchased a Fender Deluxe 1x12 extension for my Micro Terror. No more Line 6 for me

Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Awesome stuff, king. I'm playing through a tiny solid state amp and on the one hand I'm jealous on the other my neighbours would kill me if my playing became even louder. Josh from JHS made a video on FAB series and that fuzz pedal looks tempting. He thinks it's their original circuit, not a clone of something
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

sunshiner wrote:Awesome stuff, king. I'm playing through a tiny solid state amp and on the one hand I'm jealous on the other my neighbours would kill me if my playing became even louder. Josh from JHS made a video on FAB series and that fuzz pedal looks tempting. He thinks it's their original circuit, not a clone of something
I’m kinda bummed that he made a video on the FAB stuff tbh because I’m worried that they’ll spike in price now and I won’t have my secret gem pedal. I love the FAB fuzz, Shad actually gave me that one when I was a student of his. By tweaking the fuzz down and keeping the volume and tone knobs dimed you can actually get an overdrive-ish sound out of it
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

One of the FAB drive pedals is supposed to be a harmonic percolater copy.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

I've got that FAB Fuzz, and I couldn't get a good sound out of it. I tried a bunch of guitars and amps. Of course, there are probably cases where you could get good sounds, but I wasn't able with the gear I tried. Fuzzes are fussy like that.

I was pleasantly surprised by the Fab Metal. It sounds surprisingly good, but you have to use an all valve amp that has a 3 band eq, and a nice cab. That Micro Terror won't do (I have that one too). You can set the amp on clean.

I got them both very cheap, mainly out of curiosity.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
NickD

Re: NCD- New Cabinet Day?

Post by NickD »

kingkiller wrote:As anyone who was on the Zoom call yesterday heard me repeat dozens of times because I’m really excited about it: I sold my old digital amp that I’ve had for almost a decade, and purchased a Fender Deluxe 1x12 extension for my Micro Terror. No more Line 6 for me

I like the cab, ideal for home playing.

You've Robroe'd that pickguard though.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nice, how does it sound?

I was gonna say "normally Fenders as pretty mid-scooped, would be curious to know how it pairs with a low-mid forward amp like an Orange", but realised that the HR series is pretty raunchy in the mids too
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Re: NCD- New Cabinet Day?

Post by kingkiller »

NickD wrote:
kingkiller wrote:As anyone who was on the Zoom call yesterday heard me repeat dozens of times because I’m really excited about it: I sold my old digital amp that I’ve had for almost a decade, and purchased a Fender Deluxe 1x12 extension for my Micro Terror. No more Line 6 for me

I like the cab, ideal for home playing.

You've Robroe'd that pickguard though.
To be fair, the marks are actually my nail polish rubbing off, not Allparts trenches :lol:
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

kingkiller wrote:
sunshiner wrote:Awesome stuff, king. I'm playing through a tiny solid state amp and on the one hand I'm jealous on the other my neighbours would kill me if my playing became even louder. Josh from JHS made a video on FAB series and that fuzz pedal looks tempting. He thinks it's their original circuit, not a clone of something
I’m kinda bummed that he made a video on the FAB stuff tbh because I’m worried that they’ll spike in price now and I won’t have my secret gem pedal. I love the FAB fuzz, Shad actually gave me that one when I was a student of his. By tweaking the fuzz down and keeping the volume and tone knobs dimed you can actually get an overdrive-ish sound out of it
Yeah, he's just making cheap old pedals expensive but according to him they are still produced, maybe a reason to buy a couple. I liked a video about J Mascis where he has a cupboard filled with Big Muffs - he once had his pedal stolen and now has a stock pile of Muffs
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

sunshiner wrote:
kingkiller wrote:
Yeah, he's just making cheap old pedals expensive but according to him they are still produced, maybe a reason to buy a couple. I liked a video about J Mascis where he has a cupboard filled with Big Muffs - he once had his pedal stolen and now has a stock pile of Muffs
I think some of them are but it’s only a few of them, several were discontinued.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

[youtube][/youtube]

I did an phone demo. It sounds a bit shitty but you get the gist
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

yisssss, I love when you finally turned shit up

Sounds beefy mate, nice one
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:yisssss, I love when you finally turned shit up

I realized immediately after making the video that the sounds would be hard to differentiate because iPhone mic and YouTube compression, but yeah man it really has one good setting: Loud.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Sounds good!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

kingkiller wrote:
Doog wrote:yisssss, I love when you finally turned shit up

I realized immediately after making the video that the sounds would be hard to differentiate because iPhone mic and YouTube compression, but yeah man it really has one good setting: Loud.
Moreso the amount TOAN (treble) roll-off when you back off the volume on that blue-purple boi, especially without a buffered pedal in the signal. But that's just personal preference!

Are you using both pickups there? Kinda looks like it; a maverick choice for the beefy chug riffs which, I for one, commend
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:
Moreso the amount TOAN (treble) roll-off when you back off the volume on that blue-purple boi, especially without a buffered pedal in the signal. But that's just personal preference!

Are you using both pickups there? Kinda looks like it; a maverick choice for the beefy chug riffs which, I for one, commend
It was mostly bridge pickup, and if it was in the middle position it still would have been mostly bridge, as I think the solder job from the neck pickup was a bit shoddy from the factory, as the pickup has started to cut output, wayyyyyy lower than it should be, especially on a cheap set like these. It’s clearly faulty, but haven’t taken it apart yet to examine it.

Edit: the TOANZ were definitely all bridge pickup, the switch is kind of diagonal? So in the video, even though it’s on the bridge, the angle of the video and the angle of the switch make it look like it’s in the middle. Although I have played that amp through both pickups and it does get chunky
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Thick toanz. Nice demo. I want an overdrive that sounds halfway like a fuzz but less crazy
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

sunshiner wrote:Thick toanz. Nice demo. I want an overdrive that sounds halfway like a fuzz but less crazy
Get a fuzz face and turn your guitar volume down a little - should give you exactly that!
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Thom wrote:
sunshiner wrote:Thick toanz. Nice demo. I want an overdrive that sounds halfway like a fuzz but less crazy
Get a fuzz face and turn your guitar volume down a little - should give you exactly that!
That’s basically what I do with both of my fuzzes, the Fab just does it better than the Double Muff