NGD (again): Affinity PJ and Ampeg BA-115

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

NGD (again): Affinity PJ and Ampeg BA-115

Post by kingkiller »

Well. The tax man was good to me this year. I told myself I was going shopping for pedals, or maybe a new Telecaster. I was eyeing a blonde one with PIZZA TORT until another guy about my age came in and scooped it up...

And then this happened.

Funnily enough, the amp was the cheapest combo they had, it’s used and was cheaper than the other wayyyy smaller ones. So now I guess I can fill in at bar gigs no matter what the band needs.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Very practical and versatile bass rig, nicely done!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Also I really like the inverted monochrome theme between the white on black Ampeg and the black on white PJ bass.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:Also I really like the inverted monochrome theme between the white on black Ampeg and the black on white P bass.
The black-on-white is one of my favorite color combinations for guitars, it just always looks so clean. Cheers Nick! I’m looking forward to actually learning how to play bass properly, since I self taught myself guitar and am struggling to unlearn my bad habits.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Nice one 8)

My tax refund came through yesterday. Keeping my powder dry for now though.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Rhysyrhys
The Kraken

Post by Rhysyrhys »

Super tidy! Do an demo!
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Rhysyrhys wrote:Super tidy! Do an demo!
Probably coming tomorrow afternoon when the house is empty. Don’t know how the B A S S will sound through an iPhone but I’ll give it a go
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

White with black guard is the best combo, it was good enough for Dee dee.
kingkiller wrote:I’m looking forward to actually learning how to play bass properly
Good thing it comes with free online lessons.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

plopswagon wrote:White with black guard is the best combo, it was good enough for Dee dee.
kingkiller wrote:I’m looking forward to actually learning how to play bass properly
Good thing it comes with free online lessons.
Can’t wait to learn Smoke on the Water
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I only like basses that look like ironing boards with 20 strings on em, because when one sees/hears a bass for the first time he or she couldn't help going "I do think that thing would only benefit if someone added 14 more strings to it. This poor bassist could be playing mad solos by now that no one could hear or give a shit about"

Nappy new bass and amp day! Looks classy as fook!
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Sweet!

Looks like an ace, fun, unexpected setup.

I keep meaning to learn to play bass properly.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I've used that model Ampeg at practise studios before, they're REALLY good; that 'Style' voice control is priceless! It's a great pedal platform, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds reeeeeal good with guitar too, since you've got all that control over the midrange.

I always had it down as my 'if I need to buy a bass combo, I'll 100% get that one' amp, I'm sure that whole setup will sound sick as fuckkkk
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:I've used that model Ampeg at practise studios before, they're REALLY good; that 'Style' voice control is priceless! It's a great pedal platform, and I wouldn't be surprised if it sounds reeeeeal good with guitar too, since you've got all that control over the midrange.

I always had it down as my 'if I need to buy a bass combo, I'll 100% get that one' amp, I'm sure that whole setup will sound sick as fuckkkk
Interesting that you said it’s good with pedals, I tried both of my fuzzes through it and it was pretty...bad. But I need to tweak it more anyway, I’m still trying to figure out exactly where I want it
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I mean, it still depends on the pedal, right?

Personally, I generally play with very clean amps and let the pedals do the work, so tend to pick very 'amp-y' pedals. I can see running a lot of fuzzes straight into a solid-state amp would be pretty nasty, especially if you're not doing something to tame all of the high-end, on the pedal and/or amp. And especially if you're used to running said pedals into your crunchy Micro Terror, which will already be smoothing out all of that ABRASIVE SHIT.

It looks like the BA-115 has a tweeter, so that'll be spitting out lots of nasty-ass highend that doesn't really suit a lot distortion too. Maybe it does sound like shit, I just remember it sounding great with my bass and Box Of Mike (tweaked ZVex Box Of Rock), but that's definitely a very 'ampy' pedal.

Shrug.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:I mean, it still depends on the pedal, right?

Personally, I generally play with very clean amps and let the pedals do the work, so tend to pick very 'amp-y' pedals. I can see running a lot of fuzzes straight into a solid-state amp would be pretty nasty, especially if you're not doing something to tame all of the high-end, on the pedal and/or amp. And especially if you're used to running said pedals into your crunchy Micro Terror, which will already be smoothing out all of that ABRASIVE SHIT.

It looks like the BA-115 has a tweeter, so that'll be spitting out lots of nasty-ass highend that doesn't really suit a lot distortion too. Maybe it does sound like shit, I just remember it sounding great with my bass and Box Of Mike (tweaked ZVex Box Of Rock), but that's definitely a very 'ampy' pedal.

Shrug.
You’re probably right, most of my pedals are designed to make amps sound like ass, and this amp is designed to not sound like ass and to fight anything that wants it to sound like ass. The high end was what I noticed, and I didn’t even think about the fact that it has a tweeter.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

lol that wasn't me dunking on your pedals, btw
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:lol that wasn't me dunking on your pedals, btw
I wasn’t either mate, fuzzes sound like ass that’s why I like them
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Fuzz out my assssssssss...
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Does it sound thin or maybe too wild?
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

excellent pairing, my friend! that setup will cut through the mix and warm it up for days!