New Shell Pink Bronco Bass @ CME

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

New Shell Pink Bronco Bass @ CME

Post by Nick »

http://www.chicagomusicexchange.com/pr ... gI_zvD_BwE

Great shortscale bass for $200, finally in a color that isn't red or black.

I already have a red one so not sure I would trade up just for a nicer color of the same thing. Also not sure I'm feeling shell pink on maple although a mint guard might set it off nicely.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

I wish they would fully redo this line in better colors instead of one off specials like this
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

that pink does look great, and i am actually not a fan of any of the really brightly colored maple necks. if it ain't rosewood or ebony, it needs some yellowing for eyes not to squint in disappointment.

EDIT: maybe i should get one of those hang it up exposed for like a year and see what happens...
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

They have these at Anderson’s in the UK and I am extreeeeemely tempted.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

This thing couldn't possibly be any more up my alley but I've been spoiled by too many "I picked up a bronco bass for $50-80" stories to ever actually shell out serious cash for one, even if it is just a tort guard away from being my dream bass
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I mean, you're not wrong, I paid $75 for mine on Facebook Marketplace. That said I can't recommend it enough. I originally bought it to hold me over until the CV Mustang basses were back in stock, but then realized the Bronco is honestly all I need.

I would guess the pink ones will be limited and will always command a higher price than the black or red on the used market in the future. Then you might as well factor $30 for new strings if you're buying used. These were a steal at $150 and everyone slept on them, considering the next best thing is still twice the price I think $200 is still a pretty good deal. So easy to upgrade from the parts-bin too.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Nick, I forgot... which pickup did you put in your Bronco bass? I have the red one too... absolutely stock. Sounded good for gigging (back in the before times) but I've been struggling to record with it. Just can't seem to get a good tone with this bass into the DAW.

Perhaps I need to start a larger conversation about recording bass guitar in general. Or just record 808s.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

It has a GFS gold foil in it, no particular reason, I just had it around. I prefer it to stock, but it’s on the lower output side of things.

What don’t you like about the sound, and are you going direct in or through a preamp?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

singlepup wrote:Perhaps I need to start a larger conversation about recording bass guitar in general.
Do this (you won't etc). I'd be interested to hear how people are doing this too.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Nick, I'm recording DI through my pedalboard via an Apogee Jam... into garageband. I've tried using soft sims and not. I'm getting great tones with my Squier Strat using the same setup into a standard GB amp sim. The Bronco just comes out sounding bright, clangy, and ugly. I've tried running it through a RAT clone and a Green Russian, but haven't found any tone that I like. I think I probably need new strings, and surely a new pickup would help too. I sorta gave up and started using bass synth, but I would like to figure this out. Have gotten good tones using an MIM P-Bass right into the Apogee Jam in the past.

Bearboy, I'll start a thread over in the appropriate section of the forum...
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

Nick, I tried running it through an Ampeg-style amp sim today and got a much better result. Quite usable. But that pickup is a noisy fucker... never noticed it in a live setting. I think it's time for a Strat-sized humbucker. I've never soldered before, but I now have my own garage with a work bench...
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

singlepup wrote:Nick, I tried running it through an Ampeg-style amp sim today and got a much better result. Quite usable. But that pickup is a noisy fucker... never noticed it in a live setting. I think it's time for a Strat-sized humbucker. I've never soldered before, but I now have my own garage with a work bench...
Nows the time to start you've got no excuse now you've got a work bench
XY