NGD - MIJ Squier Strat

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

gusman2x

NGD - MIJ Squier Strat

Post by gusman2x »

So I flipped my recently acquired vintners modified 60s Strat. It sounded fantastic, played really, really well. But it had a pau ferro fretboard that the horrible, despicable snob in me couldn’t come to terms with. Wasn’t a super fan of the 2 pt trem either.

So this showed up on another forum, and I was lucky enough to sell my fender immediately. Two UPS vans passed in the night like cruise ships offering John Mayer in house band covers, and all of a sudden Monday was bearable.

It’s an e series from 85-87. Reasonably tidy (but dirty). The OW has gone fairly yellow. Plays absolutely fantastic. Doesn’t sound anywhere near as good as the vintera, but as we know, tone is in the fingers. My finger tones are gash, so it’s a moot point. But oh man, that beautiful board!

And in an almost unbelievable extra depraved level of cork sniffery, I only like FMIC headstocks without truss access. I know, I’m worse than rose west. But there you have it, I have specific needs. And they’ve been met.

www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I have sniffed your cork and it smells delightful!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Fantastic.

I thought the pickups on these were supposed to be good? Any thoughts on upgrading?

Scratchplate looks a bit bright?
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

very nice. I also share your madness with having to have the truss access covered up, even if it makes it more of a pain in the ass to adjust it, just looks so clean.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Congrats, it looks beautiful. I personally like CBS headstocks and trussrod adjustment at the front for convenience
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

That is a very nice looking beast.
You'd hate my '73
Big head and bullet.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

looks like my old Duocaster II
dots wrote:incesticide
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

NickS wrote:That is a very nice looking beast.
You'd hate my '73
Big head and bullet.
have we seen this on zoom?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Yes, last Saturday, but I didn't wave it front of the camera.
NickD

Post by NickD »

NickS wrote:Yes, last Saturday, but I didn't wave it front of the camera.
*stands up, makes unzipping motion*
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Bacchus wrote:Fantastic.

I thought the pickups on these were supposed to be good? Any thoughts on upgrading?

Scratchplate looks a bit bright?
I think by the time they moved from SQ to the E series, they went to domestic made pickups. These sound a bit muddy, but to be fair the height's not correct on any of them, and I haven't EQ'd anything on my setup. Yeah the 80s plastic plates just don't age. Not sure I'll change it actually, as it's more authentic. I probably will however change the pickup covers. They're custard-tastic. Not sure what colour though to not go too harlequin with the rest of the plastics.
Josh wrote:very nice. I also share your madness with having to have the truss access covered up, even if it makes it more of a pain in the ass to adjust it, just looks so clean.
I find living in the UK, I don't really need to make much of an adjustment anyway. Guess the temp and humidity is reasonably constant.

NickS wrote: That is a very nice looking beast.
You'd hate my '73
Actually, I'm a big fan of the CBS headstock, and I love a bullet truss!
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: NGD - MIJ Squier Strat

Post by Doog »

That's a beaut! Especially love the colour scheme with the aged pickup covers. D'ya reckon you'll change/coffee-age the switch tip and knobs to match?

I think my black Strat might be the same run, although the ugly mods (behind-nut locking nut) meant I replaced the neck years ago, so can't check the serial number or even the logo, boo.

gusman2x wrote:So I flipped my recently acquired vintners modified 60s Strat. It sounded fantastic, played really, really well. But it had a pau ferro fretboard that the horrible, despicable snob in me couldn’t come to terms with. Wasn’t a super fan of the 2 pt trem either.

And in an almost unbelievable extra depraved level of cork sniffery, I only like FMIC headstocks without truss access. I know, I’m worse than rose west. But there you have it, I have specific needs. And they’ve been met.
[youtube][/youtube]
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

NickD wrote:
NickS wrote:Yes, last Saturday, but I didn't wave it front of the camera.
*stands up, makes unzipping motion*
Yeah, the point of the meetup is to wave things in front of the camera.

At least that’s how I see it.
► Show Spoiler
NickS

Post by NickS »

The stand-up-and-unzip moment was getting my father's classical guitar out of its bag to jam along with Doog as he was tuned down a half step and I couldn't be arsed to get the Digitech Drop out to use with the (floating bridge, so not going to re-tune in a few seconds) Strat.. then finding the classical 1. only has the top 3 strings at present 2. bridge saddle is cracked and 3. intonates and plays better without a bridge saddle.. I guess basically it's a piece of crud and my father was rooked all those years ago.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Sounds like your dad should've picked up a lovely 80s Squier instead
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit