I am a weak, weak man (Epiphone Les Paul SL content)

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

I am a weak, weak man (Epiphone Les Paul SL content)

Post by Freddy V-C »

Having only owned 2 guitars since the start of this year (de-cluttering is good, I love it!), I've found myself in a very stupid position where I'm supposed to be writing for 3 different projects which all use completely different guitar tunings. So if I want to have everything set up real nice (hint: I do want to have everything set up real nice), I probably need 3 guitars.

I've been lusting after a yellow Les Paul SL since they first got announced like 2 years ago, so this is my excuse...

It's due to be delivered tomorrow, so I will report back with first impressions!
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Nice, can’t really go wrong at that price, I’m also a fan of the yellow.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Your logic is sound. Congrats!
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

3 is not ostentatious. Have you seen the size of Karl Marx’s head in Highgate cemetery?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
NickS

Post by NickS »

I was going to suggest, flippantly, a second-hand MinETune based guitar for different tunings, but all the ones I can find on eBay are like £600+ from Japan.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

NickS wrote:I was going to suggest, flippantly, a second-hand MinETune based guitar for different tunings, but all the ones I can find on eBay are like £600+ from Japan.
Don't ruin this for me, Nick! :lol:

I've been hunting for an excuse to buy one of these Epiphones since I sold my Yamaha SG and Squier Strat at the start of the year.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Aye, buy a variax.
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

looks pretty sick. kinda dig that.

sound logic there though, just pick a guitar up for what you need and go. smart.
NickS

Post by NickS »

In the rock covers band I used to take a Strat for single coil sounds and the Flying V for humbucker. The only thing I had a conflict with was a Chris Rea song (!) that required an open tuning for slide so although he uses a Strat I used the V because I could tune it rapidly.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

I didn't have chance to post about this yesterday. But here it is, I've fulfilled my lifelong ambition to post a WTR-style couch photo:

First impressions... erm, well, it's great!

It's sooo light. I don't dig the neck as much as my Squier Tele, but I think I might like it better than my Fender Tele (which kind of leans into my suspicion that maybe I actually just prefer cheap guitars). We shall see whether I feel the same after the honeymoon period.

It doesn't actually feel all that cheap, and the body resonates pretty nicely when unplugged. Holds tune pretty well, too.

The bridge pickup sounds great, although I haven't managed to crank it yet (hopefully sometime next week). The neck pickup is so-so, but I rarely use the neck pickup on any guitar anyway.

One thing I'm surprised about is that I actually dig the strings it came with. I'm not sure what gauge they are, but I'm guessing 9s or 10s. My Fender Tele is currently set up for standard tuning with 11s, and I've been seriously considering switching to 12s because it still feels kind of loose/sloppy to me. I've got the Les Paul tuned to D standard (i.e. DGCFAD), so I was expecting it to be a bit of a nightmare with the factory strings, especially considering the neck is 3/4 of an inch shorter, but... it feels great? Go figure, I guess.