NGDx3 Hi-Flier Bass, Harmony LP, Kingston Hollowbody

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

NGDx3 Hi-Flier Bass, Harmony LP, Kingston Hollowbody

Post by Nick »

Facebook marketplace deal, they're all projects that were stored in a damp area. The bones are actually pretty good on all three, aside from the plywood of the Harmony Les Paul coming apart in places. I need to replace a few pieces of hardware and electronics but so far they're cleaning up nicely. Fortunately the Hi-Flier is probably the best of the bunch, I'm going to need a new neck pickup, and I replaced the warped and peeling bridge with one I had off another junk bass I bought a while back.

I'll update this thread with progress pictures as I get each of them sorted.

In other news my Cyclone II still isn't here.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Pretty sure the Kingston is the same as this thing I had years ago for a few months. Pretty sure the "KAYCEE" logo was aftermarket and it was probably a Sekova or something.

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

That Univox is sex. Are these the ones you shared on FB a week ago or so?
Last edited by kingkiller on Tue Oct 06, 2020 5:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

if you ever replace the pickup rings on that harmony LP lemme know what fits. I've been trying to fix this one I've had kicking around for years. cant find one that works for the bridge pickup.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

kingkiller wrote:That Univox is sex. Are these the ones you shared on FB a week ago or so?
I don't remember that, unless you're thinking of someone else*. These were just posted on a couple days ago.

*I think Shad posted a picture of 4 fb marketplace guitars with a "MAKE OFFER" price a week or so ago for some reason, and I commented that I would buy all of them. That's not these though.

Josh wrote:if you ever replace the pickup rings on that harmony LP lemme know what fits. I've been trying to fix this one I've had kicking around for years. cant find one that works for the bridge pickup.
Is yours an H90/same as mine? The bridge pickup ring on mine is totally fine, but my neck pickup ring is warped/broken. Give me a day or two to figure out what I'm doing with this thing, the body is kind of shot, I'm playing around with the idea of either replacing the body or trying to build one from scratch of my own design. If I end up doing either of these or just parting it out altogether you can just have the bridge pickup ring.

Is the reason you can't find a ring because of the top curvature or the position of the body screws? The pickups themselves do seem to fit standard sized humbucker rings, just checking to make sure it's the same part you need.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Instead of a 3 way switch in the harmony, a previous owner wired in an on/off switch. :|

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

It was Shad, you’re correct. Still, cool finds man
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The LP body is officially in the bin. It has mold inside it and I’d rather not worry about that.

The neck from it is still good, and the fact that it’s 25� means I’ll probably end up needing to cut my own body, or at least get one without bridge holes drilled.. Just in case, I made two tracings of the les Paul before throwing it away, one in original form, and the other using my XII (the closest to jaguar shaped thing I own) as a template for the top half. I did an photoshop as a of a jaguar/les Paul hybrid in surf green as a teenager, I think the time has come to try and see that through.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Nick wrote:The LP body is officially in the bin. It has mold inside it and I’d rather not worry about that.

The neck from it is still good, and the fact that it’s 25� means I’ll probably end up needing to cut my own body, or at least get one without bridge holes drilled.. Just in case, I made two tracings of the les Paul before throwing it away, one in original form, and the other using my XII (the closest to jaguar shaped thing I own) as a template for the top half. I did an photoshop as a of a jaguar/les Paul hybrid in surf green as a teenager, I think the time has come to try and see that through.
You can clean that off from the cavities. Is it a totally solid body?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
NickS

Post by NickS »

Fakir Mustache wrote: Is it a totally solid body?
Prolly not
the plywood of the Harmony Les Paul coming apart in places
Josh
The Curmudgeon

Post by Josh »

Nick wrote:
kingkiller wrote:That Univox is sex. Are these the ones you shared on FB a week ago or so?
I don't remember that, unless you're thinking of someone else*. These were just posted on a couple days ago.

*I think Shad posted a picture of 4 fb marketplace guitars with a "MAKE OFFER" price a week or so ago for some reason, and I commented that I would buy all of them. That's not these though.

Josh wrote:if you ever replace the pickup rings on that harmony LP lemme know what fits. I've been trying to fix this one I've had kicking around for years. cant find one that works for the bridge pickup.
Is yours an H90/same as mine? The bridge pickup ring on mine is totally fine, but my neck pickup ring is warped/broken. Give me a day or two to figure out what I'm doing with this thing, the body is kind of shot, I'm playing around with the idea of either replacing the body or trying to build one from scratch of my own design. If I end up doing either of these or just parting it out altogether you can just have the bridge pickup ring.

Is the reason you can't find a ring because of the top curvature or the position of the body screws? The pickups themselves do seem to fit standard sized humbucker rings, just checking to make sure it's the same part you need.
yeah it looks exactly like the same one.
I think it won't fit in part because of the curvature of the body but it also wouldn't fit the screws to mount pickups on to any aftermarket ones I tried so even if I was able to get a ring on I was dumbfounded at how to get the pickup onto the ring
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Is this truly awful or kind of neat?

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

I think it looks cool!
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Two les Paul pick guards or a full one? I think two would look cool.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The stencil is just two lp pickguards but it's just a mockup. I'm still deciding on controls....my original photoshop used a Jaguar top plate, one idea I have is to mount a master volume and tone to the jaguar plate, but use standard 500k pots instead of the 1meg/50k. Keep the 2 way switch for a mute, and put a single 3 way switch down in the les paul control area.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Pickguards notwitwstanding (I’d do something that follows the shape of the guitar a bit more) I think it looks pretty good - way better than a Jagstang.

What pickups were you thinking of?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

kingkiller wrote:I think it looks cool!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Loving that Kingston, those metal pickup rings remind me of Bender from Futurama:

sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

NickD wrote:Pickguards notwitwstanding (I’d do something that follows the shape of the guitar a bit more) I think it looks pretty good - way better than a Jagstang.

What pickups were you thinking of?
Back when I first put a LP and Jaguar together in Photoshop, I thought the resulting parallelogram pickguard was cool - but now that I think of it, I'm not going to attempt to do any top carving so this will be more of a Jag/LP Special hybrid - I might mock something up with the lower half of an LP special and upper half of a Jaguar and see how that looks.

For pickups, I was at first thinking twin humbuckers, but now I might keep with the hybrid theme and do an Jarman w/ a Jaguar pickup in the neck and humbucker w/ring in the bridge. I don't want to get too ahead of myself with the details, as it'll be my first attempt at building a guitar body and I'm sure there will be a fair bit of trial and error.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I always liked how these maple Hondo's looked like. I remember watching a youtube video more than 10 years ago where a teen guy played one. It looked awesome but he kept making excuses that it was "only a cheap Les Paul copy"
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.