NGDx3 Hi-Flier Bass, Harmony LP, Kingston Hollowbody

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Nick wrote:Is this truly awful or kind of neat?

No lie that's actually one of the coolest designs ever! I've always thought LPs were THE most boring guitar shape but adding that top horn flips everything on its head!
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nice, love that scratchplate! It actually works surprisngly well without having it follow the top horn. For my money, one big parallelogram scratchplate would look so sick.
► Show Spoiler
And personally speaking, I reckon it'd look a little better if it wasn't quite so thicc

Putting my I'm-not-a-professional design hat on:
► Show Spoiler
<Winds neck back in>
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Doog wrote: Image
Doog, I know you want me cut the body along the black lines you've added but I'm not going to do that.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The Kingston is kinda playable, it cleaned up nicely, just cleaned dirt off and rubbed with a damp cloth, lemon oil on the fretboard and some gorgomyte on the frets. I shimmed the neck and tried to tighten the truss rod but it is very stuck and didn’t want to move much. I may need to invest in a longer hex key set for more leverage but I’m not sure the rod is still functioning. The 4th fret is sticking up a little on the treble side and will need to be glued down. Might take to one of the local shops for opinions on if the neck is worth the trouble. Of course, like the Harmony this is also an odd scale length at 24.5 so finding a replacement neck would be difficult. At least the neck isn’t twisted and it’s just a dip in the middle.

If nothing else, the pickups sound as good as I remember, at least on cleans and light gain. They’re so microphonic the control plate actually calls them “Mic 1� and “Mic 2�

Well here it is:

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

My mic(rophonic pickup) sounds nice check one.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nick wrote:They’re so microphonic the control plate actually calls them “Mic 1� and “Mic 2�
:lol:

I hope it's rescuable, it's a real beaut.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Nick wrote: Of course, like the Harmony this is also an odd scale length at 24.5 so finding a replacement neck would be difficult.
It looks like it has a floating bridge? If so, couldn't you use a 24.75 neck from a Epiphone LPJ or similar and move the bridge? Assuming the neck pocket dimensions are comparable.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

NickD wrote:
Nick wrote: Of course, like the Harmony this is also an odd scale length at 24.5 so finding a replacement neck would be difficult.
It looks like it has a floating bridge? If so, couldn't you use a 24.75 neck from a Epiphone LPJ or similar and move the bridge? Assuming the neck pocket dimensions are comparable.
It seems obvious now that you say that. There isn't much room to move it further back because of the tailpiece but I could either replace the tailpiece or grind/cut off the part that's sticking out for the trem spring that I don't have anyway.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The Univox is done! The original bridge was in really bad shape so I used the bridge off my Bronco bass since it had the correct string spacing (don’t worry, I ordered a replacement on eBay so the Bronco is back in business). I think the roundness of it compliments the body shape better than the original anyway. I also had to fix some of the wiring, replacing the 1/4� jack and adding ground wire to bridge. The neck pickup was all apart when I got it, but everything sort of snapped back together and is working fine again. I also managed to find a matching tone knob on reverb.com

I strung it with rotosound flatwound 40-90 gauge strings and straightened the neck before eventually stripping out the truss rod nut. :oops:

The only issue was the E string was not intonating correctly and was sharp pretty much the whole way down the fretboard. I realized the nut looked like it wasn’t slotted deep enough and figured that might be the cause. I left it at Parkway Music to fix the nut issue and dial in the intonation. It’s playing so smooth now, action is super low and it doesn’t buzz anywhere. I wasn’t sure if this would be a flip when I bought it, but it’s a keeper for sure.

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Looks great Nick!
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

It looks great Nick!
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It looks absolutely badass
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Looks class.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I expect you to play a full version of Foreplay by Boston in the chat.

[youtube][/youtube]

though I’d settle for Buena by Morphine
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.