What should I do with a Squier Baritone Jazzmaster neck?

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

What do?

Return it to the store
No votes
Try to flip it on eBay
25%
Buy an XGP Jazzmaster body and move the bridge back to 30"
25%
Wait and try and find a loaded Bass VI body
50%

Total votes: 4
Nick
Y'SEE!?

What should I do with a Squier Baritone Jazzmaster neck?

Post by Nick »

I just picked up a minty Squier Baritone Jazzmaster neck on the cheap(ish), I believe it is from the now super-rare antiqua Squier Jazzmaster baritone. I thought these were the same as the 27" conversion necks used on the Paranormal Telecaster baritone, but it is in fact 30" scale, I believe it might also be compatible with the Bass VI.

It looks like it would fit a normal Strat or Jazzmaster pocket so my first thought was to get one of those GFS XGP bodies that aren't drilled for bridge holes, and just move the bridge closer to the vibrato plate (mocking it up to my strat, I would just need to move the bridge back an inch or so which is doable). Then I noticed the heel of the neck is longer than a normal Fender, and the bolt pattern is drilled further up the neck. Meaning the pocket of the baritone Jazzmaster must be cut in farther to reduce the length from the body to the nut, then the bridge moved back farther back to compensate, hence why they don't use a standard JM bridge and tailpiece. I suppose I could still use one of these bodies, but I think the reach is going to feel more like playing bass than guitar, not to mention the heel will start tapering farther from the body, even though it'd still be around the standard 14th-15th fret. Would the tension physics on the neck be less than ideal if I did this? It will also make the overall length of the instrument rather long.

The other option may be to try to make a cheap Bass VI, but by the time all's said and done it'd probably be cheaper to just buy a used Bass VI, unless I find a great deal on a loaded body. I suppose I would have to save an eBay search and just hope for the best.

The other two options are either just giving up and returning it, or trying to flip it on eBay. I paid $90 for the neck, and complete baritone JMs are selling for around $700+ now. I imagine the value is in the complete instrument as there's no one selling baritone JM bodies, but is it crazy to think it might fetch at least double what I paid on eBay?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Maybe it would fit on a Bronco Bass body.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Maybe it would fit on a Bronco Bass body.
I just tried- the Bronco bass neck heel is significantly wider, also the geometry is different and the bridge would need to move closer to the neck pocket to intonate correctly.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

it sounds to me like any project you engage with this neck is going to have to be a bit klugey with some compromises to complete. if you're the type that digs that kind of challenge in and of itself and consider the one-of-a-kind result you'll get to be worth it all, go for it.

if, on the other hand, you want to do exactly what it seems you set out to do which is to have a versatile neck that deftly slots into different bodies/configurations, selling this neck in favor of one that does all of those things makes more sense based on what i'm hearing you say.

if it were me, i'd go w/ the second option i listed cos if you're like me, you won't feel right until you've gotten what you wanted originally.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

You’re probably right. I might hold onto it for a little while before listing it and see what inspiration might pop up. Definitely bought this with the intention of just buying a j Mascis body and red tort guard.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i'm actually surprised there isn't more overlap with other body styles as that's usually fender's MO.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

One idea I had (not sure how much the neck pocket depends on the rear section for structural integrity)

Buy XGP body, dremel out the rear of the neck pocket so the neck can bolt into the intended location. Drill bridge holes 30" from nut.

Since the pickguard would need to be cut up to where the first pickup would be, and a middle+bridge pickup configuration would look pretty odd, the next best thing I could get from Warmoth would be a single pickup. I have a Dimarzio stacked single sized hum that could be wired for coil splitting with a switch in the 3 way switch location.

This minimalist setup would only set me back about $200, less if GFS has a decent black Friday sale or if I can find a blemished or used body. But it's a far cry from my original idea, and with the cost of the neck it still probably makes more sense to get the Paranormal baritone tele.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Could be a neck diver, especially if made from paulownia.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Could be a neck diver, especially if made from paulownia.
the XGP bodies are poplar or swamp ash. They don’t make a paulownia offset afaik
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Nick wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:Could be a neck diver, especially if made from paulownia.
the XGP bodies are poplar or swamp ash. They don’t make a paulownia offset afaik
I’m pretty sure all of the cheaper stuff is paulownia, XGP is poplar according to the site.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I put it up on eBay

http://www.ebay.com/itm/124382892905

See what happens. Full guitars are selling for ~$1,000 as crazy as that seems so I think it might be priced right?
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

prolly.

and will pay for the other projects you're mulling over. 8)