Suggestions for junior player

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Post by NickS »

What NickD said, though there's something special about being the first owner too.

When I was at school there was a kid I didn't know (he was 13, we were 17) whose Gran bought him a Gibson LP gold top. We were pretty much "he won't know what to do with it" but it was her money.. '72 gold top hmmmmm...
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Such a wonderful granny though. It pains me to think how she spent her savings to buy something good for her grandson
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

NickS wrote:What NickD said, though there's something special about being the first owner too.

When I was at school there was a kid I didn't know (he was 13, we were 17) whose Gran bought him a Gibson LP gold top. We were pretty much "he won't know what to do with it" but it was her money.. '72 gold top hmmmmm...
That must have been a fair bit of change! I’m sure it must’ve been a nice looking guitar (although to be fair when it comes to 70’s Gibsons, I’ve always been much more partial to all of the lawsuit ripoffs than the real deal themselves)

All this to say: I can’t wait to buy my hypothetical children expensive gear they won’t necessarily appreciate lol
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

sunshiner wrote:Such a wonderful granny though. It pains me to think how she spent her savings to buy something good for her grandson
I did some (very quick and rough) math on how much that guitar costs: I found a couple sources that said a Les Paul was anywhere from $750-$1000 in the 70s (using round numbers because it’s more just about the estimate) and in USD in 2020, a $750 guitar would cost around $5,030. Wonderful granny indeed
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Wow, that's way too much. That kid got even bigger gifts than the one in question here
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Continuing off topic, at the time (1972) I think Yardley's Music in Plymouth, Devon, was selling Les Paul's for around £400 - £450 and Strats for around £280, IIRC. ISTR a couple of years earlier it was £350 and £250.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

This back in the days of cheap Offsets?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

i'll weigh-in with recommending to not necessarily get the cheapest thing laying around as it needs to be relatively comfortable to play. i've long felt half the reason people give up guitar is poorly crafted/setup instruments unnecessarily hurting their hands and fingers. guitar is hard enough to stretch into without shite builds muddying the water.

unless we're talking really small hands, i don't think shortscales are a must-have, tho, for beginners. i mostly learned on a yamaha acoustic and a strat. *shrug*
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

sunshiner wrote:Yeah, let the dad know that the kid will need an amp. Like many non guitarists he might be thinking that toan comes straight out of the guitar, so they might reconsider the way they want to spend their budget
TOAN COMES FROM TEH FINGERS
dots wrote:incesticide
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Get him a black SG and a JCM800

Then he can start a 2003 revival warp tour band and bang and endless supply of chicks with tattoos and tube tops
dots wrote:incesticide
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

dots wrote:i'll weigh-in with recommending to not necessarily get the cheapest thing laying around as it needs to be relatively comfortable to play. i've long felt half the reason people give up guitar is poorly crafted/setup instruments unnecessarily hurting their hands and fingers. guitar is hard enough to stretch into without shite builds muddying the water.

unless we're talking really small hands, i don't think shortscales are a must-have, tho, for beginners. i mostly learned on a yamaha acoustic and a strat. *shrug*
this
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

Thanks for the (hugely off-topic) feeback. You can always trust shortscale for not judging

Just for reference, boy has a 2000€ parrot.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

great! tell him to by me a '70 orange comp stang!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

dots wrote:great! tell him to by me a '70 orange comp stang!
The parrot?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

sure, if he's got the cash.
NickS

Post by NickS »

Noirie. wrote:This back in the days of cheap Offsets?
I think it was in the days when only Strats and Teles were just about the only Fenders sold new in the UK.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

Im waiting for the pic' with guitar in his hands !
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
NickD

Post by NickD »

NickS wrote:
Noirie. wrote:This back in the days of cheap Offsets?
I think it was in the days when only Strats and Teles were just about the only Fenders sold new in the UK.
I don’t think offsets were ever truly cheap in the UK. A Japanese JM was several hundred in the early 90s, and the magazines I have from that time have the vintage ones at £800-£1000.