Suggestions for junior player

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

riotshield

Suggestions for junior player

Post by riotshield »

I was asked by my boss to suggest few guitars for his 11 year old son.

Boy likes the Les Paul design and is into playing old school rock, Scorpions, Maiden, Acdc, Metallica, etc. Budget is 1500€ max but a nice decent model with less money is also an option. A friend of the boy told him PRS are good guitars so he has an inclination.

Any suggestions for the little fella?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sell him one of your squiers, but for 1750€.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

With that budget, if he likes the Les Paul, he should get an actual Les Paul, a new Tribute or a used Classic would be that price range. PRS might be a better made guitar than a Gibson these days but I'm not sure that will motivate him to play more if none of his favorite bands use them. I would try to find one under 8lbs so he isn't discouraged by the weight, I'm not sure about European shops, but some stores here like Sweetwater let you shop for a specific serial number by weight. I think SG would also the correct answer here but the neck dive might be a bit much for a new guitar player to need to worry about.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The more practical option is an Epiphone Les Paul Classic or Standard and pay for a good setup. The new headstock is much closer to Gibson, the poly finish might be more durable for a kid that age, and I doubt he would hear the differences between pickups yet. The offer of a Gibson upgrade a few years down the line if he sticks with it and practices often might also be a good motivator.

Does he also need an amp and is that included in the 1500€ budget?
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

A Harley Benton with humbuckers from Thomann, they have a PRS shape as well. Or maybe even their nifty double cut junior. That would be 200-250 euros. Pocket the rest of the money for giving great advice. A Gibson would be awesome but he's 11 and probably is going to thrash it around anyway, is it really worth it? He could learn on a cheaper guitar which nowadays are of higher quality than 10-15 years ago and buy a Gibson when he's 16 or older if he still wants one
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
izodiak

Post by izodiak »

He wants to play real heavy, ye ?

Wide humbucker tele, good ol' Keith style.

Or these Guild guitars have wonderful build quality if he is into the Les Paul shape.
(Ive played the Manhatan and Starfire, excelent very smooth instruments, very nice tonez, my next guitar would be Starfire I )

But now thinking without my strat I wouldnt be playing guitar at all now, the magic in the instrument, and for <1000$ You can get
awesome rockin' stratocaster.
kim wrote:plankton people will be plankton people
riotshield

Post by riotshield »

Thanks for the suggestions.

Taking a look in Thomann website I have narrowed down the selection to these three options (he wants a black guitar)

Hagstrom Ultra Max
http://m.thomann.de/gr/hagstrom_ultra_ ... 1602606679

Schecter solo II
http://m.thomann.de/gr/schecter_solo_i ... 1602606679

Gibson LP Studio

http://m.thomann.de/gr/gibson_les_paul ... 1602606679

If it was my choice I would go with Hagstrom, taking into account the price. I am quite convinced it might be a better guitar even without factoring in the price.
But as a kid who is not able to distinguish different sounds but at the same time going in a brat school, meaning he wants to show off a branded guitar to his friends, maybe he should just get the Gibson and be happy with it.

Do you have any opinions on the three above models?
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Only one of those listed is a Gibson. That’s what he should get.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

riotshield wrote: But as a kid who is not able to distinguish different sounds but at the same time going in a brat school, meaning he wants to show off a branded guitar to his friends, maybe he should just get the Gibson and be happy with it.

Do you have any opinions on the three above models?
That was the main reason I suggested a Gibson or Epiphone. Even if an Epiphone isn't a Gibson, it's still a Les Paul which would still be good for some bragging rights. And if he is the type of kid who respects the investments his parents make on him and not trash it, a Gibson could last him a really long time as he grows as a player. My main concern with Gibson OR Epiphone at that age would be weight. I started playing at that age on a very lightweight Strat copy. It was comfortable and easy to pick up and just play whenever and I think a heavy guitar at that age would probably have put me off practicing as much as I did.

Out of those guitars I have owned a Les Paul studio, I had the last year (2006 IIRC) before they started phasing in more weight reduction measures. I would have probably kept it if it was one of the lighter models, it was a good guitar. The pickups were pretty good, a little hotter than I'd prefer now but handled both cleans and distortion well - I had a Fender Twin at the time but they would probably have broke up any of the 15-30watt tube amps I own now a little too easily.

The thing that got old pretty quick owning a Studio, was the total lack of binding. The Schecter almost looks closer to my idea of a Les Paul than the Studio, to the point where I might consider an Epiphone standard over a Gibson Studio.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Tell him and his spoiled brat son to fuck off... €1500 for a guitar for an 11 year old!?
XY
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

dezb1 wrote:Tell him and his spoiled brat son to fuck off... €1500 for a guitar for an 11 year old!?
I don’t even think I have $1500 worth of gear tbh
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

1500 ES FOR A 11 YEAR OLD?
dots wrote:incesticide
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

To avoid further dunking on finances or lack thereof, I think the Epiphone route is better, as that does leave enough room for a decent amp if he needs one.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

11 year olds and 60 year olds have the same guitar needs.

GIBSON OR GTFO.

IS THAT A SQUIER ? WHAT A PICE OF FUCKIN SHIT
dots wrote:incesticide
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

robroe wrote:11 year olds and 60 year olds have the same guitar needs.

GIBSON OR GTFO.

IS THAT A SQUIER ? WHAT A PICE OF FUCKIN SHIT
Hahaha Rob gets it
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, let the dad know that the kid will need an amp. Like many non guitarists he might be thinking that toan comes straight out of the guitar, so they might reconsider the way they want to spend their budget
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Buy them a Marshal stack
mickie08

Post by mickie08 »

If it was across the pond here in the US I might be able to hook you up with an Eastman SB model. They put most off the rack Gibsons to shame. I have an artist deal with them and I can not say enough about their quality. I have had an SB59V and a 386 (LP and 335 copy)Currently ordering a SB55dc when they come in over here.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
NickD

Post by NickD »

For the kind of music he likes, and if the LP shape is his favourite then a Les Paul Tribute could be got for 1k and the rest for a decent Marshall.

On the money side, Dad better be pretty sure the kid is really interested in playing - there was someone at my school who had a LP Standard and just left it in the music rooms for other people to play because he wasn't really interested.

Edit - A used LP Tribute - new would be a bit much. Also, if he likes the idea of a PRS then a singlecut could be an option as its their version of a LP. They are a bit soulless but well made.