Quick easy = total ballache shortscale Strat project

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Quick easy = total ballache shortscale Strat project

Post by Dave »

All my guitars are unplayable or broken but I got the bug again recently and decided which I could get playable again quickest. I CHOSE WRONG.

Decided to fix up my destroyed old jap strat, the photofinish had started coming off 15 years ago so I stripped years ago to reforge it anew,. The real showstopper is the neck which is not a quick fix (flaking lacquer, total refret needed, frets liked chewed nails) . So c just sanded the body and covered in grain filler as prep foe shellac and paint. Oddly i really like the super matt eggshell colour of the wood and filler and considering going with that but in paint. Maybe BUT......

I was going to throw on a jagmaster conversion neck which looked awesome just eyballing. So i spend ages tarting up the neck, giving it a roundover and my custom rear profile, installed my old strats hardware and...... Theres a masive gap between the body and neck AND.... AND it DOESNT CONVERT. Unless Im losing my mind. The fact is that it does not measure 24" to the nut, and the bridge to 12th is around 12 and 3/4". Thatt doesnt work, unless Im missing something? As far as I know it IS the legit conversion neck version.
Anyway, now my quick (ish) job doesnt work and I'm basically back to having zero enthusiasm for guitars again. I guess I can look at my others and see whats doable. But still. Utter Cunt. Cryyyyyy simp cry etc etc

iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

looks absolutely splendid, so i'd hate for it to be a lost cause. any way for some kind of fix for the neck/pocket?
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

The only option is to cut away the extra from neck but, leaving a fretboard overhang, but honestly i dont know, it busts it into a whole new realm of fuckery and pain I just dont need right now with work building up. It was supposed to be a fun distraction. Plus I do evemtually want to refret the og neck and get them renuinted and back on the road. Probably a showstopper for the time being. I may as well sell the loads of parts I seem to have and just buy a new guitar at this rate. The next easiest might be my jag stang conversion, but the body needs spraying. Wrong time of year for that as its nitro comp orange.
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
NickS

Post by NickS »

What is nut to 12th on that neck?
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

NickS wrote:What is nut to 12th on that neck?
12"

Theres a guy on youtube with the same neck who clued me up to the issue
[youtube][/youtube]

The question where did the conversion myth come from? Did anyone ever actually verify it?
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Dave wrote:The question where did the conversion myth come from?
Stupid forum posts.

Of course it doesn't work, for it to even look like it could possibly work the shorter scale neck would need to have less frets up to the heel.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Dave wrote:The only option is to cut away the extra from neck but, leaving a fretboard overhang, but honestly i dont know, it busts it into a whole new realm of fuckery and pain I just dont need right now with work building up. It was supposed to be a fun distraction. Plus I do evemtually want to refret the og neck and get them renuinted and back on the road. Probably a showstopper for the time being. I may as well sell the loads of parts I seem to have and just buy a new guitar at this rate. The next easiest might be my jag stang conversion, but the body needs spraying. Wrong time of year for that as its nitro comp orange.
whatever gets you back playing quickest and without breaking the bank gets my vote, sir. i think you've proven your handy skills well enough in this rabbit hole. **happy**
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Stick a cheap £20-30 neck on there for now then work on getting the proper neck sorted.