Tele bridge pickups?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Tele bridge pickups?

Post by Freddy V-C »

This is definitely a dumb question, but I can’t seem to find a clear answer.

Tele bridge pickups are different from a standard single coil, right? I can’t just put any old single coil in a standard Tele bridge pickup hole?

If there is a way to do this, does it require any special tomfoolery?
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The Tele bridge pickup is larger so a strat pickup will fit the bridge hole, but there’s not really a good way to mount it or an adapter product readily available.

A forum thread I found on the subject, has some ideas:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/install-s ... ge.418094/
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

A single coil adapter for humbucker routs would probably cover most routs except for the bigger ones with that thing at the bottom (which can be covered by the bridge), but I'm not sure tele routs are wide enough for the strat pickup's ears.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Also, the mounts on a Tele bridge pickup are in a different place to most single coils:

sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Special tomfoolery confirmed.

Tele bobbins are bigger than Strat ones, but they don't have a cover so the resulting hole in the plate isn't wayyy off or anything. Its mounting that would be the main issue.
Probably the best way to do it would be to screw it into the bottom of the pickup cavity with long screws and foam like offset or fender bass pickups and have it peek through the hole in the plate (same method as vintage-style Tele neck pickups without height adjust screws on the pickguard, actually)... you'd probably have to widen the route at the sides though, and it will probably show a little on either side of the bridge plate?

And be a total bastard when you want to adjust the height as you'd have to practically unstring the whole guitar to get under the bridge plate.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

paul_ wrote:Special tomfoolery confirmed.
There was a particular Strat-sized DiMarzio I was intrigued by, but if there's ~special tomfoolery~ then I think I'll stick with a standard Tele bridge-sized pickup for this project. Might stick the DiMarzio in my Les Paul SL at some point instead, I'm pretty certain those are regular Strat-sized single coils.

Thanks for the assistance, all!
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Which DiMarzio are you interested in?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Freddy V-C wrote:
paul_ wrote:Special tomfoolery confirmed.
There was a particular Strat-sized DiMarzio I was intrigued by, but if there's ~special tomfoolery~ then I think I'll stick with a standard Tele bridge-sized pickup for this project. Might stick the DiMarzio in my Les Paul SL at some point instead, I'm pretty certain those are regular Strat-sized single coils.

Thanks for the assistance, all!
Gibson style and Fender style guitars have different string spacings, unless the pickup is rail the polepieces won't match the strings when when putting let's say a strat pickup into a Gibson and vice versa
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yeah, but that doesn't really matter the way pickup manufacturers pretend it does.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Kurtz used Gibson spaced pickups in Fender guitars and we all know how that ended.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Yeah, it ended when they put the tune-o-matic on.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

^Was so tempted to post the infamous final photo
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

paul_ wrote:Yeah, but that doesn't really matter the way pickup manufacturers pretend it does.
Yeah, but then the innate flaws which absolutely every pickup has will drive you crazy at night robbing you off your sleep. "Do I not have that juicy bass and treble response because the low and high E strings don't exactly match the pole pieces?" I'm almost sure that's the reason why Kurtz gone
paul_

Post by paul_ »

Teh Kurdtz is gone because he F-spaced his ears.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

G to F-spacng conversion shotgun is the latest product from Stewmac? Will there be a video lesson on their website on how to use it?
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Dan Erlewine posted a How to on live leak.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Talking with a shotgun barrel in your mouth is just plain bad manners
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Noirie. wrote:Dan Erlewine posted a How to on live leak.
:lol:

Did you Dan Erlewine was in a band with Iggy Pop?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.