Jaguar owners opinions please

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

dezb1
The Oppressor

Jaguar owners opinions please

Post by dezb1 »

I have sold quite a bit of superfluous guitar equipment lately and have decided the money should be invested in a Jaguar - my first Shortscale. I have two options I'd like opinions on which one you guys would recommend as I know a few guys on here (Mike, Hurb?) have proper vintage Jags and Squier variants

I fancy the player series:

http://www.google.co.uk/shopping/produ ... gK_dvD_BwE

But is it a big enough upgrade to justify the extra £200 compared to the Classic Vibe?

http://www.pmtonline.co.uk/squier-clas ... gK2XfD_BwE
XY
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Hmmm... Fuck that humbucker. I'm a bit out of the loop on Jag pricing at the mo; think you could snag a MIJ/CIJ for that sort of money, maybe? Hurb and Doog'll be able to advise you on the Squiers better than me. I liked the one I played, but have never owned one (had an AVRI and now have a Marr).
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I'm a big fan of "proper" Jaguar switching so would probably lean towards the CV over the Player. Not played either though so treat that with due scepticism.

Could you stretch to a Vintera? They do a couple of nice ones with matching headstocks.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

A Marr would be the ideal - but way too spendy. I'm not a fan of buying second hand guitars unless they're dirt cheap (sub £100) project guitars. Suppose I shouldn't rule it out though.

Also I rarely use a bridge pickup so the humbucker won't make much difference
Last edited by dezb1 on Sun Oct 18, 2020 5:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

BearBoy wrote:I'm a big fan of "proper" Jaguar switching so would probably lean towards the CV over the Player. Not played either though so treat that with due scepticism.

Could you stretch to a Vintera? They do a couple of nice ones with matching headstocks.
Nah the £550 for the player would be top end on a spend
XY
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I don’t see £200 difference there. Personally I’d get the CV and if anything you can use the extra on any mods or upgrades you fancy.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Thom wrote:I don’t see £200 difference there. Personally I’d get the CV and if anything you can use the extra on any mods or upgrades you fancy.
CV seems to be about £350 vs about £550 for the player.
XY
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Get the cv. Its a great Jaguar imo .
You may want to modd the odd thing but its cheap enough.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

dezb1 wrote:
Thom wrote:I don’t see £200 difference there. Personally I’d get the CV and if anything you can use the extra on any mods or upgrades you fancy.
Yeah what I meant is that I don’t think you’re getting a £200 better guitar.
CVs are great guitars and great mod platforms if that’s what you like, but it’s not a necessity. They are great in their own right imo.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Thom wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
Yeah what I meant is that I don’t think you’re getting a £200 better guitar.
CVs are great guitars and great mod platforms if that’s what you like, but it’s not a necessity. They are great in their own right imo.
Apologies I totally missed the point makes total sense.
XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Hurb wrote:Get the cv. Its a great Jaguar imo .
Do you have one Hurb? What have you changed if you do?
XY
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

dezb1 wrote:
I have the vintage modified but from comparing it to Doogs CV Jag I Don't think there is a massive drop in quality or much change in features. Truth be told it looks like CV is a slight improvement on the VM except for the change to Indian Laurel fretboard.

I changed the trem unit as I had a Fender one spare, the original was fine.
The bridge pickup was wound too hot so I unwound it to be closer to a proper Jag. I also put a Mute on it and changed the pickguard.
The CV has a mustang style bridge on it which many people will prefer to a stock jag bridge.

The Squier stuff is amazing quality and value right now.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

I've got the CV, here's a video I did in the first few weeks:

[youtube][/youtube]

My main dislike is/was the tall narrow frets, and that was mainly down to the fact most of my guitars have been medium jumbo or vintage. That, and it's on the heavier side, heavier than the CIJ Fender and Squier Jazzmasters and Jazzes I've owned and played.

For the money, it's a great guitar of decent parts, the assembly is where they've reduced overheads.

I've not played the Player, but it's obviously more MODERN, although the CV also has that 9.5 radius, but both have the 'vintage' tailpiece placement, so it'll still get the behind-the-bridge jangly overtones. The bridge pickup on the CV is overwound, more middle-y and punchy compared to the vintage equivalent.

The pickups are good, tuners are reasonable (I replaced mine with Klusons that I'm not sure I prefer), neck profile is slim but nae skinny.

Based on a review on GuitarGuitar, the Player's not routed enough for the full rhythm circuit enchilada, so that's worthwhile considering if you were curious about modding the player to bring in more elements of the OG design.
Last edited by Doog on Mon Oct 19, 2020 8:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

So I think a MIJ is out of budget, and certainly doesn’t fulfill the new requirement. But I’d give it a second thought...

I had a VM, which I never really bonded with. I think that was more to do with the fretboard radius and the med jumbo frets though. I guess I prefer 7.25. However, it was lighter than my MIJ, and sounded (to me) far better.

It may not be important, but a s/h VM will have rosewood board, as opposed to laurel.

I’m sure Mike had a surf green VM when they first came out and rated it?
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

gusman2x wrote:It may not be important, but a s/h VM will have rosewood board, as opposed to laurel.
Didn't they switch to Indian Laurel halfway through the VM run? I know they did with the VM Bass VIs. I think only the earlier ones are rosewood.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Hurb wrote:
dezb1 wrote:
I have the vintage modified but from comparing it to Doogs CV Jag I Don't think there is a massive drop in quality or much change in features. Truth be told it looks like CV is a slight improvement on the VM except for the change to Indian Laurel fretboard.

I changed the trem unit as I had a Fender one spare, the original was fine.
The bridge pickup was wound too hot so I unwound it to be closer to a proper Jag. I also put a Mute on it and changed the pickguard.
The CV has a mustang style bridge on it which many people will prefer to a stock jag bridge.

The Squier stuff is amazing quality and value right now.
Cheers for the details u just watched your video on ghe jag it does i deed look to be strung up to the lemons...

XY
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Having now watched many many YouTube videos the CV looks the way to go... but now the CV jazzmaster is turning my head - I'm a large chap and wonder if the jag would look tiny hanging around my neck... bizarre question what height are you Hurb?
XY
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Haha thats hilarious! Poor YouTube trying translate my mumbled shite !

I am about 6.4 6.5 depending on how confident I am feeling.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

(same height as Hurb - Jags are plenty big guitars).
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Yeah, back when I lived at home my dad (who admittedly knows very little about guitars) would always go on about "that massive guitar!" when he saw me playing my Jaguar or Jagmaster, rather than my Tele. The body is big enough to make up for the shorter scale.