The correct way to screw in wood screws

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

The correct way to screw in wood screws

Post by Nick »

Not sure how to title this topic, but just wanted to share some information I recently learned, that might not be too common of knowledge.

Wood screws, basically any screws used for your pickguard, tuning machines, bridge, pickup rings, etc. You DON'T want to just put the screw in the hole and tighten it like how I've always done it my whole life a pleb. I mean it'll probably work, for now, but over time it will strip out the hole. Yes you can use a screw with a larger or deeper thread, or put a toothpick in the hole and it will splinter off inside when screwed into and have a pretty tight hold but think about what that shit is doing to your TONE bro, or worse the value of your instrument.

The correct way to do this, is to insert the screw into the hole, but before turning the screwdriver righty-tighty, turn the screw COUNTER CLOCKWISE until you hear or feel a CLICK or POP. It's sort of like the click you feel when using a combination lock. Usually you'll also feel the screw sink into the hole a bit more. This is the screw finding its thread and at this point you can tighten the screw into the wood.

I learned this tip from watching a video about refurbishing Game Boys, but it works on any non-machined screws. Apologies if everyone else but me already knew this and I'm the last one to the party, but I figured it's worth sharing. It just may SAVE your WOOD.
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Never thought of that but yeah, that makes perfect sense and it's such a simple thing to do!
NickS

Post by NickS »

Will try this. No wonder my bathroom door sounds like crap.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Replaced the broken switch on my Strat this afternoon and did this when screwing the pickguard back on - worked like a charm! Could definitely feel the "click". Cheers!
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

NickS wrote:Will try this. No wonder my bathroom door sounds like crap.
This could be due to some confusion about where exactly one does their business.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Crap sound=brown sound. That's a wonderful door for a toilet
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
theshadowofseattle
THE TAMPA BAY HERO

Re: The correct way to screw in wood screws

Post by theshadowofseattle »

I learned this from Fran Blanche's youtube videos

THANK YOU BASED PEDAL MOM
Fakir Mustache wrote:Classic Shad Deluxe.
Nick wrote:Some of Shad's favorite Teles are black.
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

What the fuck.
Im pushing 40 and I head to learn how to screw on a (vaguely) guitar forum.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
aen
Turdscreamer

Post by aen »

What the fuck.
Im pushing 40 and I head to learn how to screw on a (vaguely) guitar forum.
High quality, low popularity Ecstatic Fury
paul_

Post by paul_ »

[youtube][/youtube]
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"