Straps for heavy guitars?

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Reece

Straps for heavy guitars?

Post by Reece »

Hello shortscale long time no see n' all that.

So I've been playing a bit of bass recently. I've got one these cheap Harley Benton ones from Thomann and it's fucking heavy. If my scales are right it's 5.5kb (about 12 lbs). I can barely play it for 20 minutes standing up before my left shoulder has turned to jelly.

I'm guessing I want a new strap for this thing but I don't know what. A big wide one to spread to load? One of those weird padded ones? The ol' etsy special leather one with LIVE LAUGH LOVE stamped into it? Help me out here.

BTW this is what I've got and I really rate it. It feels super solid and well made, no sharp fret ends or rattly hardware or dodgy tuners.
jcyphe

Post by jcyphe »

It's great you like the guitar but your back and shoulder is more valuable. I would seriously consider finding a lighter guitar because in the end you'll be better off.
paul_ wrote:When are homeland security gonna get on this "2-piece King Size Snickers" horseshit that showed up a couple years ago? I've started dropping one of them on the floor of my car every time.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Sell it and buy a lighter bass. 9lbs is too heavy. 12lbs is just unreasonable. I don't think any padded strap would make that feel light.

See the recent thread about guitar weights.

http://shortscale.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=69177
Reece

Post by Reece »

I was worried you'd say that, but you're probably right...

Time to go stare at mustang basses again.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

A) Reece you motherfucker!

B) Buy a new, lighter body and swap the other bits over. The body doesn't mean shit on a Fender-style guitar.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

There is a strap system that works like a pants belt. The downsides are it requires drilling the guitar to move the strap button to the lower horn or around it and generally it all looks super weird. The guitarist from the Screaming Females is rocking one with her G&L ash strat which is probably quite heavy and she makes it look cool. On me it would look super stupid
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

sunshiner wrote:There is a strap system that works like a pants belt. It's called a gu-girdle-itar. I can make you one?
In all seriousness though; Steve Albini pulls this off without any special fuckwittery, he just uses an extra long strap (and some stilts). Obviously forces you to be pretty low-slung though, which is more of a drag with bass.

Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Reece

Post by Reece »

hahaha priceless as ever paul.

I've tried the steve albini belt...strap...thingy on a guitar before but you can't angle the neck up towards you so it was pretty uncomfortable. You can see he's got the bent wrist claw hand in that photo to reach.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yes it's probably inherently prone to make the neck sit low.
I found the link to the company which makes such straps

lank
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

REEEEEECE!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Lol I've got the sunburst one and yeah it weighs a ton. Feels alright though using a Fender Monogrammed strap.

Welcome back.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
NickS

Post by NickS »

I got a wide strap because a guitar strap was giving me trouble with the neck muscles/nerves on the left shoulder, and that was just for a JB copy.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Hello Reece, lovely to see you here.
Reece wrote:Time to go stare at mustang basses again.
I too have been staring at Mustang basses (and Burns 12 strings, of all things).
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

I have a mono Betty. It does indeed help with heavier guitars, but it’s not a very attractive piece of gear. You kinda ruin the rockstar look but wearing a piece of orthopaedic equipment.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band