NBD: Ibanez Talman TMB30

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

NBD: Ibanez Talman TMB30

Post by Freddy V-C »

I haven't owned a bass in like 3 years because I am a damn fool. For some reason I often find it easier to write songs around a bassline rather than a guitar part, and I'm writing a lot at the moment, so I thought I'd buy a cheap-ish bass instead of trying to borrow one from a pal yet again. I was tempted by the new shell pink Bronco, but this will mostly be for home use, and the impression I've gotten from a few of you guys is that the Bronco pickup sounds decent in a live context, but sucks for recording. Plus my new Tele has basically satisfied my lust for a shell pink guitar. The TMB30 is a similar price and has "proper" bass pickups.

This is the first shortscale bass I've owned (and possibly the first I've even played?!) and I'm amazed by how much more comfortable it feels. I guess that makes sense, because I'm only a little guy. Haven't had chance to play it plugged in yet, but it feels very solid.

On its own:

And with the whole gang:

I feel like I've got all my guitar needs covered now, although I'm still tempted to upgrade the Les Paul SL a little bit.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Sweet bonus.

Yeah I love the feel of a shortscale bass. I’ve got a mustang, and it just feels a lot more nimble.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Nice one. I was gonna get the cream one but weren't in stock anywhere so got my HB Jazz Bass instead.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Anyway a bass VI neck would fit/intonate on that thing?
dots wrote:incesticide
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Noirie. wrote:Nice one. I was gonna get the cream one but weren't in stock anywhere so got my HB Jazz Bass instead.
Yeah, I was dead set on mint green, and it seemed like most places only had the black one in stock. DV247 was the only place I could find a mint green one.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

robroe wrote:Anyway a bass VI neck would fit/intonate on that thing?
They’re both 30� scale so I imagine... maybe? Would probably be a lot of work though.
Reece

Post by Reece »

Very nice.

Being suddenly in the market for a new bass that ivory one looks very tempting. Would be interested to hear what you think when you can plug it in.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

One of my pupils has one of these. Huge fun.

I could use a fretted bass for recording stuff, and I'd be tempted by these except that in my head, Jazz Basses are the "correct" bass.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Bacchus wrote:Jazz Precision Basses are the "correct" bass.
I’m sure that was just an honest mistake I had to correct.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Bacchus wrote:I could use a fretted bass for recording stuff, and I'd be tempted by these except that in my head, Jazz Basses are the "correct" bass.
I feel like this about P Basses. Pretty much whenever I see a band play live, if the bass player is using anything other than a P Bass it just looks wrong to me. If it's a band I haven't heard before, I reckon there's genuinely a 10% lower chance of them winning me over.

Ideally I would have liked a Classic Vibe 70's P Bass. But it's twice the price, plus a full scale bass wouldn't have fit on my guitar rail, haha.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I've been tempted by this model a few times, they look fun.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

A Talman was a strong consideration when I picked up my P-Bass, and I think the only reason I didn’t was because they didn’t have a color I liked. But the lower cost Ibanez stuff, above Gio but before their higher end stuff, is great value for money for sure.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Freddy V-C wrote:If it's a band I haven't heard before, I reckon there's genuinely a 10% lower chance of them winning me over.
Yes. It's silly, but hey, we're fallible human beings with prejudices.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Really wanted one if these when they were released... didn't get one for some reason. Always liked the Talman guitars
XY
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Very cool! I find songwriting with bass easier also, I find it easier to hear what can layer on top of it, rather than blasting a huge riff and then struggle with what can come around it.

You inspired me to get my bass out for the first time in aaaaagess, and a song comes straight away, whodathunkit