Swinger surgery

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

NickS

Swinger surgery

Post by NickS »

Today I reverted the Swinger to its original pickup position and pickguard. I added the robroe that someone kindly gave me a few years back.

ImageImage

The original rout and the one I dug out for a bridge position back in 1975 or 76. I didn't have a router.
ImageImage

When I tried it in the shop the pickup was open circuit. It worked with a valve amp (1M input) but not significantly with a transistor amp (50K input). They got it rewound hotter - 11k.
ImageImage

I have no idea what the code on the bottom of the pickup means. The bridge earthing seems to be a bit of guitar string between the bridge and the control plate.
ImageImage

It looks like the control cavity screening plate is soldered to some sort of fixing in the end of the cavity (same the other end).
ImageImage

Et viola!

It is missing two pickguard screws if anyone has any lying around or has any recommendations....
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

That is just so damn cool.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

gusman2x wrote:That is just so damn cool.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Nice guitar. I'm thinking the pickup is from 73 and the volume pot 67.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Has the Swinger featured on the zoom calls yet? I always forget that you own one
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

looks incredible!
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

BearBoy wrote:
gusman2x wrote:That is just so damn cool.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
NickS

Post by NickS »

Fakir Mustache wrote:Nice guitar. I'm thinking the pickup is from 73 and the volume pot 67.
I thought the last digit on the pickup was an 8 or 9, meaning 68 or 69 from what I've just read on 4-digit codes. I suppose I should get it rewound to vintage specs, 11K iis ridiculous for the era.
NickS

Post by NickS »

kingkiller wrote:Has the Swinger featured on the zoom calls yet? I always forget that you own one
once, a while back.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

NickS wrote:
kingkiller wrote:Has the Swinger featured on the zoom calls yet? I always forget that you own one
once, a while back.
Swingers are one of my favorite of the weird models, along with the Performer and Katana. Bring it out this weekend!

And that pickup is 11k output?! Jeez
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

NickS wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:Nice guitar. I'm thinking the pickup is from 73 and the volume pot 67.
I thought the last digit on the pickup was an 8 or 9, meaning 68 or 69 from what I've just read on 4-digit codes. I suppose I should get it rewound to vintage specs, 11K iis ridiculous for the era.
Could be right.

Here's a 68, old style writing.

69 is stamped, like yours.

Lower output neck works better if you use distortion or fuzz. It's too harsh for the bridge unless you play clean.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I thought it was a more of a light green color from the zoom appearance not natural.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote:I thought it was a more of a light green color from the zoom appearance not natural.
That'll be my crap laptop camera's colour balance, I guess.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Do you know what colour it was originally, Nick? I’m no expert on Swingers (vicar), but am guessing it was painted?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
NickS

Post by NickS »

When I bought it it was CAR but the finish was chipped and flaking off so I stripped and sealed it (fairly sloppily, tbh). You can still see it in the shot of the routs. The finish was also peeling off the neck so I stripped that and refinished it in polyurethane. If I knew then what I know now....