NLAGD

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

benecol
Best Poster 2010

NLAGD

Post by benecol »

That’s “New Lifelong Ambition Guitar Day�.

Flexed this on the Zoom chat last night, but my good fortune deserves a wider audience. Seeing Spacemen 3 at an impressionable age, and being a huge Spiritualized fan throughout my drugs hell* (and after) placed a 72 Thinline firmly in my all time Top 3 Must Own Guitars. But a case of “wrong place, wrong time� means I’ve never had the opportunity to grab one. Was the first guitar I was ever outbid on on eBay (in 2001!), I bought a '69 Thinline instead.

This is one of those slightly daft American Classic ones from 2012/13, which were nitro, even though the originals were poly. It’s a factory special run with a 9.5" radius neck (which it taking me far longer to adapt to than I expected) and medium jumbo frets. The pickups are the upgraded widerange humbuckers, but they’re still not grand - I’m going to sell some pedals and spring for some Fender CUNIFE reissues.

I love it though, real wish fulfilment for me. Figured I deserved a bit of a treat; lost a lot of timber in lockdown, taught on site all this term while most colleagues sheltered in bunkers. Never known a guitar like it for where you pick making such a difference. Have a five ply black guard on its way to replace the moto one, for peak 70s, and to make me like the burst. Will take a few days for it to sink in that it’s mine. Got a good deal too; traded my SG Classic and Italia for it; I definitely got the better end of the bargain (cost wise, although both those guitars were beauties), but was upfront with the seller about it. He was keen to just keep the kit moving around though, which I respect. He had the Italia just to flip, but has just messaged me to say how much he loves it (and how much that’s scuppered his plan).

* Wasn’t actually that bad, really enjoyed big chunks of it.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

[youtube][/youtube]
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Nice! always fancied one if these (blame my Manics fan boy past). Black guard will top it off.
XY
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Looks sexy
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Very nice Tim! Black guard will look ace
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

That’s cool as fuck. Congrats.

I’m definitely jonesing for a maple boarded fender now!

*edit: and good for you rewarding yourself. It’s not been easy to be positive, or productive this year. So you’ve definitely earned it.
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

What a beauty! Congrats Tim! Well deserved.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah, congrats Tim. Beautiful guitar.

Are you wrestling with the 9.5� radius because you’re used to 7.25� or something flatter?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

7.25" (on Fenders at least). The SG had a 12" radius, and I think the Jerry Jones is 10" (Danelectros are, at least). But this feels noticeably flat to me.
lorez

Post by lorez »

nice score and the upgrades will top it off. Like you this is on my bucket list of guitars
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
NickD

Re: NLAGD

Post by NickD »

benecol wrote:
Flexed this on the Zoom chat last night, but my good fortune deserves a wider audience. Seeing Spacemen 3 at an impressionable age, and being a huge Spiritualized fan throughout my drugs hell* (and after) placed a 72 Thinline firmly in my all time Top 3 Must Own Guitars. But a case of “wrong place, wrong time� means I’ve never had the opportunity to grab one. Was the first guitar I was ever outbid on on eBay (in 2001!), I bought a '69 Thinline instead.
I've owned a 69 Squier thinline and a set neck Squier Thinline and a CSL Tele Deluxe then a Mexican one. I've skirted round one of these for so long. Well jel.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I loved my old RI Telecaster Deluxe, which I think is pretty close to this

Gareth from Sell Crazy had the Mexican RI of this model back in the day and that was also a lovely guitar - they have nice necks and a good balance as I recall.
A grown up guitar, without the slab heaviness of a solid body Telecaster (though I love that also)

I'm really most interested in the black guard hopefully reducing the ugly on the sunburst and also hearing about those proper CUNTLIFE Wide Rangers I had no idea Fender had reissued. We run them at this point

they're like £200 a pop, right? Expect some money from your pedal graphics works when I sell my next batch of builds. Should be enough to cover one of them.

Choose your fighter.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Congrats! I wasn’t sure about the black guard when you mentioned it, but after seeing it it’s definitely the way to go.

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Mike wrote:and also hearing about those proper CUNTLIFE
[all the people going hand-in-hand intensifies]

Love axe, brother; bet it plays like buttah
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Nick wrote:Congrats! I wasn’t sure about the black guard when you mentioned it, but after seeing it it’s definitely the way to go.

Yeah, I'm very surprised by how much of a difference this makes.

Congrats on the purchase, Tim!

Even though I'm a big Tele stan, Thinlines never really appealed to me until very recently. I've found myself gassing for one lately, although I think I'd be more likely to go for a '69 (nice).
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Yeah, as mentioned above, I used to have a '69, and while I loved it's Curtis Mayfield stylings, I think you've got to have the big 'buckers (and black guard) for the full 70s cokespoon and qualuudes vibe.

(The Squier '69 Thinline is ridiculously good, FWIW).
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Very nice.

We know it's very nice because:
► Show Spoiler
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Extremely pleased to accept my crown as the person with the worst taste on ShortScale.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

Always liked Thom Yorke's sunburst custom with the black guard this looks just as nice.
XY
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Did you end up swapping the pickguard?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED