Setting up a basement simple live recording rig

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Setting up a basement simple live recording rig

Post by robroe »

Ok I'm collecting shit to set up some recording gear for my basement room. I want to record using 2 overhead room mics like Al does in the ALBQ studio.

So I'm going to drill holes in the drop ceiling then screw plates with holes in them, and then have the mics poking out of them. All wiring will go above the drop tiles, over to the computer under the bar. So it will all look really clean. I don't want 40 mics and wires going all over fuck.

I've got 2 samson overhead mics like this already to go. I'll put one over the drums and then one in the middle of the room to capture everything else.

Can anyone recommend a simple audio interface and windows software. I don't need infinite tracks and complicated bullshit. I need 2 tracks and a record button and I want it to sound good without fucking around with 100 knobs/plugin bullshit. Think simplicity.

It will be used to record acoustic, singing, electric guitar, drums, 1 person, 2 people, 4 people, synth thru a PA, and if I can figure out how to make it work with my dslr or phone I'll use it to make shit gear demos.

Ok go.
Last edited by robroe on Wed Nov 25, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dots wrote:incesticide
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Cool idea!

Are you literally just gonna record 2 tracks, and nothing else? I use a Scarlett 2i2 interface for work, 2 inputs, sounds good and I've never had any issues with it. For cheap recording software on Windows I'd probably use Reaper if I were you. Although Audacity would probably be fine for your needs.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Yeah so one plate will go in the middle over here where the drums are going....and the second mic I'll put over the couch so it will pick up me playing acoustic on the couch.

dots wrote:incesticide