Alternative Bridges to fit 1978 Bronco

Painting? Routing? Set-up tips? Or just straight-up making a guitar from scratch? Post here, and post pics!

Moderated By: mods

tele0n

Alternative Bridges to fit 1978 Bronco

Post by tele0n »

Hi,

New to this site and not found a definitive answer to the question from searching the forum, so forgive me if this has been covered before.

I have a Bronco 1978 body and neck I'd like to turn into a functioning guitar but it is missing the original bridge and I understand they are very hard to find and sometimes not very stable

So I would like to know what alternative bridges would fit a Bronco to cover the bridge rout and without drilling too many new holes or filling voids?

From my research a Musicmaster or Toranado bridge might fit, (buy not sure if that covers all of the existing Bronco bridge routed area)

Also are there any issues I should be aware of with the positioning of a non-bronco next, such as the scale length so I don't have tuning or intonation issues?

Many thanks for any help in advance

Cheers!
BillClay

Post by BillClay »

Maybe you could do a toronado bridge sitting on a custom chrome plate that covers the original footprint of the bronco bridge? Kind of like how fender compromised on the alternate reality xii and used a bog standard gotoh(?) 12 string hardtail strat bridge but threw everyone a bone by adding a chrome surround that makes it look like the big old vintage bridges and works with the original pickguard shape.

Not exactly a cheap option as you'd have to find someone willing to make a custom piece of metal for you, but if done properly
1: it could be made to match up with all the original screw holes
2: you probably wouldn't have to add any wood or remove any so down the line if you can find a used bronco bridge you could just pop it in or if you decide to sell the guitar you wouldn't be selling some chopped up project
tele0n

Post by tele0n »

Thanks for the reply, found a Toronado bridge on eBay so will see how it looks and mounting options when got it. Cheers
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

You have to do the Bubba mod (drill holes in the back of the bridge for the strings) to avoid drilling them in the body.

Or maybe use the saddle holes for the strings and drill for 3 tele saddles.
tele0n

Post by tele0n »

interesting idea, I have some brass compensated Tele saddles I could use, would have a more vintage Musicmaster Bridge look as well