Bass Strings

Talk about all other types of guitars. Jazzmasters and basses go here!

Moderated By: mods

Noirie.
YOUTH

Bass Strings

Post by Noirie. »

Never bought bass strings before (I’ve barely lived etc.)

What would youse recommend?
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
GreenKnee

Post by GreenKnee »

Obviously it depends on your preference, what you play blah blah etc etc

From my experiences I would recommend D'Addario. I "toured" with a couple of bands for a few years playing a Musicmaster Bass and these strings:

One set lasted me the whole time, no breakages, sounded ace once bedded in.

I recently swapped them out when setting up the bass and giving it a good clean, and went for the flatwound Chromes of the same type:

They're ace, feel and sound great. They give the 70s strat pickup in the bass some more oomph to work with, couldn't be happier. They're very pricey (£50+ pricey) but I'm hoping they'll last forever, which apparently flat wound bass strings can do.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

What is the bass they're going on?

I recently put a set of Rotosound RS77s (flatwound, shortscale) on my Hi Flyer bass, I love how they play and sound on that. For roundwounds I'm not really as sure, most basses come with rounds-they never break and my fingers aren't that oily so they last forever. I usually only need to buy strings if I'm swapping for flatwounds.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I used Rotosounds Swing 66 roundwounds for a few years but they’re fret eaters. I switched to Earnie Balls after that.

I have d’Addario half flats on my pbass now, same set for about 10 years, though I’m not in a touring band these days.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

plopswagon wrote:I have d’Addario half flats on my pbass now, same set for about 10 years, though I’m not in a touring band these days.
I’ve got these on my Jaguar bass. Put them on when I bought it about eight years ago and have never felt the need to change them. They sounded so much better than the stock strings but I suspect that’s as much to do with the stock strings being shite as anything else.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Need a roundwound set for a Jazz Bass.

Was looking at Rotosound but will steer clear if they’re gonna fuck up my frets.
more being STOKED
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The other thing I always hear about Rotosound rounds is they go dead pretty quickly...found this thread on talkbass but it doesn't seem to offer much ultimately http://www.talkbass.com/threads/rotoso ... ons.41850/
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I agree, they’re a lively string but not for long.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Rotosound on my acoustic guitar were like that. At first they livened up a bit the sound of the cheap plywood acoustic, but went dull quite fast
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

I guess I'll get d'addario then.

Just got my Thinline back from setup and it's strung with d'addario. Maybe just some cleaning up and tweaking but they feel better than EB's.
more being STOKED
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

Roto eat frets idd, i used them for a while back in the day after using d'addario.

For budget, i do recommend the fender set

7150 (M) i think they were 105, they cost only €15 and i really liked them. Clear but warm. And cheap to install a fresh set (i liked using a fresh set for one rehearsal before a gig so went through a lot of strings for that sound).

The packaging has changed now it seems :

http://shop.fender.com/en-BE/accessoriesstrings/7150-pure-nickel-bass-strings/0737150406.html?rl=en_US

They have a nickelplated steel version too which would stay clear longer but i liked pure nickel on bass.

Nowadays i use d'addario again (nickelplated steel 120-50) for the tuning i had it in but looking for a set for standard tuning again. Might check out those new 7150's.
As i don't use bass often anymore i'd been considering flatwounds from thomastik but i'm not big on flatwounds for the bass sound i like.
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I primarily use DR Black Beauties, in part for aesthetic, in part for sound and longevity.

D'Addario strings are decent, and, as Kim said, Fender are pretty good for price if you want to spend a little less.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

Could I get away with a light set tuned to E flat?
more being STOKED
kim
[='±'=]

Post by kim »

E flat isn't a big difference should be good even with a light set (95 or 100)

what scale is the bass ? 34" jazz bass ?
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I haven't had issues with most gauges downtuned a step or so on long scale basses. Light in Eb should be fine, even on short scale.
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
Reece

Post by Reece »

Nick wrote:What is the bass they're going on?

I recently put a set of Rotosound RS77s (flatwound, shortscale) on my Hi Flyer bass, I love how they play and sound on that. For roundwounds I'm not really as sure, most basses come with rounds-they never break and my fingers aren't that oily so they last forever. I usually only need to buy strings if I'm swapping for flatwounds.
just bumping to say I bought some of these for my ibanez talman short scale bass and the e string seems bloody awful. It's well floppy and very noticeably starts out sharp then goes flat as the string rings out if I'm playing above the 3rd fret or so.

maybe I should have got a higher gauge but I assumed what they sell as "short scale, standard gauge" would do the job.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Are they these ones, Reece?

40-90 does maybe seem a bit light. The D'Addario short scale ones come in 40-95 ("Super Light"), 45-100 ("Regular Light") and 50-105 ("Medium"). I've got the half round "regular light" ones and the tension on the low E is fine but it could maybe do with being a tad heavier. It does feel looser than the other three strings. Might have a look about and see if I can get a thicker one.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Reece

Post by Reece »

BearBoy wrote:Are they these ones, Reece?

40-90 does maybe seem a bit light. The D'Addario short scale ones come in 40-95 ("Super Light"), 45-100 ("Regular Light") and 50-105 ("Medium"). I've got the half round "regular light" ones and the tension on the low E is fine but it could maybe do with being a tad heavier. It does feel looser than the other three strings. Might have a look about and see if I can get a thicker one.
Yeah those are the ones.

I'm gonna give them some time and see how I get on, only put them on half an hour before making that post.