NGD: n00b’s First Pedalboard

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

NGD: n00b’s First Pedalboard

Post by kingkiller »

With some gift cards to Papa Bezos’ Emporium of Online Wonder, I purchased some no name, smaller aluminum pedalboard and a Rowin Boost pedal. Today, I grabbed some patch cables and a Voodoo Lab X4 power brick and now I’ve got a real rig finally.

Above all else, this means I don’t have to gun my Orange to get it to break up, on a light crunch the boost and the FAB Fuzz take it to doom/sludge territory. The Super Overdrive was a gift from an old friend, and I’m not entirely sure it works 100%. Nothing faulty sounding, just not super into it. I would replace it with my Behringer HM-2 clone but I seem to have packed it already. The DS-1 truly is the greatest distortion of all time (except for the Rat, but I don’t have one of those yet). Overall, I’m really happy with it. I’ll tinker w the cable management a little more later on bc I want it to be as neat as I can get it, but it’s nice to finally be able to have a “real� setup
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Nice stuff, king. I never had a proper pedal board as I'm a bedroom player and don't really need it, but I'm thinking about building one as well. That power supply looks like a great power solution, I've always used daisy chains plugged into one shitty power adapter which often produced hum
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

sunshiner wrote:Nice stuff, king. I never had a proper pedal board as I'm a bedroom player and don't really need it, but I'm thinking about building one as well. That power supply looks like a great power solution, I've always used daisy chains plugged into one shitty power adapter which often produced hum
The only reason I went with Voodoo lab was when I asked the guy who worked at the shop, it’s the one he recommended. I’m sure I could have gotten one for maybe 30-40 bucks off of Amazon and it would have worked fine, but I at least know this one has warranty if it breaks, etc.

The only issue I have is that for some reason, whenever I plug the pedalboard into main power, the DS-1 always just turns on. I’m not complaining, I can tell I’m going to want it on the majority of the time, just confuses me from an electrical standpoint, seeing as I turn it off before I unplug anything
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

LEGIT board, C; so many gain flavours... glavours?

see also: glavors

I think that's standard Boss pedal operation; as it's non-mechanical bypass, there's no "state" of whether the pedal was on or off previously. But yeah, kinda annoying.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

All the outputs on your adaptor should be isolated from each other which makes it impossible for the parasitic frequences from one pedal to leak into others creating hum which could be unbearable. So it's a great solution in comparison with simple daisychaining pedals from one adaptor.

I can't even guess what could be wrong with it to cause the DS1 to be on everytime you plug it
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:LEGIT board, C; so many gain flavours... glavours?

see also: glavors

I think that's standard Boss pedal operation; as it's non-mechanical bypass, there's no "state" of whether the pedal was on or off previously. But yeah, kinda annoying.
It’s just made more strange by the fact that my SD-1 does not turn on automatically, so yeah for some reason the default option on the DS-1 is switched. And yes, my board is just sequentially more gain and volume, which I think says enough about me as a player on its own.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Maybe it's a thing that was introduced/changed in newer production runs? Your DS-1 defo looks newer than the SD-1.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

I seem to recall reading something about why some Boss pedals come on when you connect power and others don't but I can't find it now. I've asked over on a Boss forum as it's bugging me :) There are people there who know the circuits etc inside out so I'm sure one of them can clarify.

I've got a bunch of Boss pedals and they're a mix of "turn on" and "not turn on" so I don't think your DS-1 is in anyway "faulty".
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I always enjoy the lottery of "what pedal will turn on and with what setting" when I power up my board.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Nice, good work on the first board! But no need to wait for an FX loop amp - get some modulation, reverb and delay on there!!!

All my Boss pedals come on when I power up my board.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Nice work, although the lack of a tuner is stressing me out! :lol:

I can't imagine a world where I couldn't mute my signal to tune.
SAVEStheDAY

Post by SAVEStheDAY »

Looks nice, and now that you've got a pedal board you can concentrate on filling it up, so that you'll have to eventually buy another one. And fill that up too. It never ends...
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

BearBoy wrote:I seem to recall reading something about why some Boss pedals come on when you connect power and others don't but I can't find it now. I've asked over on a Boss forum as it's bugging me :) There are people there who know the circuits etc inside out so I'm sure one of them can clarify.
So,
It's got to do with how the flip flop circuit responds at power on. Basically, due to component tolerances, the flip flop is more likely to prefer one state vs the other at power on.

Look at mod #2 here to see how to change the pedal to always come up in one state or the other:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/bosstech.pdf
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Freddy V-C wrote:Nice work, although the lack of a tuner is stressing me out! :lol:

Isn't tuning a bit *amber*, Freddy?

Headstock tuner and guitar volume control?
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

BearBoy wrote:
Freddy V-C wrote:Nice work, although the lack of a tuner is stressing me out! :lol:

Isn't tuning a bit *amber*, Freddy?

persistent neerr neeeer neerrrr sounds from the stage while the crowd gets another drink
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Playing an ancient and long-suffering Squier Affinity Tele as my main guitar, I've learned to re-tune after every song. I can't afford the extra time it takes to twist that volume knob vs stomping on a pedal! :wink:

I've also played in too many bands (thankfully not for a few years now) where I've been the only person with a tuner on my board, so before each gig I've had to suffer the indignity of every band member coming over to borrow my tuner while I'm in the middle of trying to set up.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

How is the Ancient and Long-Suffering Squier Affinity Series?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

The tuner will come when (and if) I actually start gigging again, until then the Boss Tuner app works just fine :lol:
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Doog wrote:Maybe it's a thing that was introduced/changed in newer production runs? Your DS-1 defo looks newer than the SD-1.
Yeah the DS-1 is fresh from the box, the SD-1 was dug out of my friend’s old gear from his band from years ago, so it’s been around the block so to speak. I’m surprised it still works
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

BearBoy wrote:
BearBoy wrote:I seem to recall reading something about why some Boss pedals come on when you connect power and others don't but I can't find it now. I've asked over on a Boss forum as it's bugging me :) There are people there who know the circuits etc inside out so I'm sure one of them can clarify.
So,
It's got to do with how the flip flop circuit responds at power on. Basically, due to component tolerances, the flip flop is more likely to prefer one state vs the other at power on.

Look at mod #2 here to see how to change the pedal to always come up in one state or the other:
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/bosstech.pdf
Hmm I’ll have to look at that mod. It doesn’t bother me that much as of now but it may some day