Recommend Some Headphones For Me

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Recommend Some Headphones For Me

Post by kingkiller »

I’ve been using the over-ear headphones that came w my Scarlett interface for listening to my amp, so as to not annoy my family/neighbors/half of the Linden township. Problem is, with any amount of gain, they get fizzy and shitty sounding (only out of the amp, when using them w the interface they work and sound perfectly fine). Is this a case of the output from the headphone jack of the amp not being at a level that the headphones can’t handle? Are there headphones “designed� to be used with amplifiers? Are there any specific pairs that y’all particularly enjoy in general?
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
NickD

Post by NickD »

What's your budget? Are you going to use them for listening to music as well?
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

The headphone output on most amplifiers that have the feature will sound like shit, unless there's speaker emulation on it. You're essentially just getting the raw preamp sound, without any of that rounded "guitar speaker" vibe, which shaves off the harshness.

It sounds like this is your problem, not your headphones. You're probably better spending your money on a standalone 'headphone amp' thing, and keep the amp for out-loud playing.

Aside from that:

I got some Audio Technica M40x for Xmas (I asked for 'em after doing a lot of research) and they are GREAT. I got em mainly to use with my Line6 HX Stomp thing (which has amp and cab sims onboard), and it sounds perfect.

They're heavily raved about especially for the price point ($87 on eBezos)- can't recommend them enough. They're fairly flat frequency response, none of that SKULLCANDYBASSBOOSTTECHNOLOGY shit.
Last edited by Doog on Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:00 am, edited 2 times in total.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah, the headphone outputs on my amps sound pretty rubbish so, like Doog says, it possibly isn't your headphones that are the issue.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I have a pair of nice Beyerdynamic DT150s (industry standard recording cans) that I got for recording back in the day that I love. They weren't cheap though at £120.

I also have some of the ripoff one from Thomann back in the day. Chinese clones that were more like £30.

SUPERLUX HD-660 they are I believe.

But like has been said before, you're going to want to use an amp sim pedal up front to get good sounds at home, unless you amp is already a modelling type with that circuitry already in place for a headphone out
NickD

Post by NickD »

I use Sennheiser Momentum headphones, but they are more hi-fi than recording. They sound great when I use them with my Roland Cube, better than the speaker even, but I suspect that has some kind of headphone circuit amplification built in.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Cheers guys, I’d like to have a nicer set for mixing and listening to audio on my PC anyway, so the recommendations aren’t wasted. I’ll check out all the ones you guys mentioned, and I don’t mind spending some money on them, especially if I’m getting quality, y’know?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I love my Sennheiser HD280s. I probably use them as much for late night gaming/TV as I do anything else.

I suspect a thread like this is going to be lots of people recommending the thing that they have that works well for them. I think with any sort of headphones, once you're at a certain quality, the important thing is that you take the time to "learn" the headphones.

Also, this thread is making me see a Katana or Yamaha THR in your future....
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Bacchus wrote:I love my Sennheiser HD280s. I probably use them as much for late night gaming/TV as I do anything else.

I suspect a thread like this is going to be lots of people recommending the thing that they have that works well for them. I think with any sort of headphones, once you're at a certain quality, the important thing is that you take the time to "learn" the headphones.

I’ve been considering a Katana for a long time. Either that or saving for one of the smaller Helix units, or the new PODgo...
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Bacchus wrote:I love my Sennheiser HD280s. I probably use them as much for late night gaming/TV as I do anything else.

Seconded on both fronts, especially since you can use the Katana as a USB interface direct into your DAW.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit