My new pedal set up ... advice? Options?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Is there zztop that doesn't sound like 1980s garbage?

Maybe it's the fake fucking drums I can't get past on these records. My ear hears that and like like WARNING WARNING TURN THIS FUCKIN SHIT OFF IT SUCKS

and then like I don't even listen to the guitars because the rhythm section sounds like something off girls just wanna have fun.

*Edit. I searched "zztop real drums" on YouTube and this was 2nd on the list
dots wrote:incesticide
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

robroe wrote:Is there zztop that doesn't sound like 1980s garbage?

Maybe it's the fake fucking drums I can't get past on these records. My ear hears that and like like WARNING WARNING TURN THIS FUCKIN SHIT OFF IT SUCKS

and then like I don't even listen to the guitars because the rhythm section sounds like something off girls just wanna have fun.

Try Tres Hombres, Rob. Released in 1973 so if that reminds you of 1980’s garbage maybe it’s your ears that are the problem? :lol:
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

gusman2x wrote:
Doog wrote:And don't underestimate your guitar's tone knob for this kinda stuff
/witchcraft
Hi it's me your old pal Cordelia from Witchcraft Devices
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Fran wrote:
robroe wrote:Is there zztop that doesn't sound like 1980s garbage?

Try Tres Hombres, Rob. Released in 1973 so if that reminds you of 1980’s garbage maybe it’s your ears that are the problem? :lol:
ok ill go listen to that
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Mind you which version you listen to.
At the height of ZZ Top's success in the mid-1980s a digitally remixed version of the recording was released on CD and the original 1973 mix was no longer issued. The remix version created controversy among fans because it significantly changed the sound of the instruments, especially drums. The remix version was used on all early CD copies and was the only version available for over 20 years. A remastered and expanded edition of the album was released on February 28, 2006, which contains three bonus live tracks. The 2006 edition is the first CD version to use Manning's original 1973 mix. Subsequent releases on digital platforms such as iTunes have used the original mix as well.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Fran wrote:Try Tres Hombres, Rob. Released in 1973 so if that reminds you of 1980’s garbage maybe it’s your ears that are the problem? :lol:
Came in here to post this, although I'm happy to pilot the time machine further back. Are you even in the art school technicians if you haven't been forced by me to dance to this in the office on the 28th of each month?

[youtube][/youtube]

Sticking this in as well, it's on Fran's rec, but deserves its own props:

[youtube][/youtube]
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

plopswagon wrote:Mind you which version you listen to.
At the height of ZZ Top's success in the mid-1980s a digitally remixed version of the recording was released on CD and the original 1973 mix was no longer issued. The remix version created controversy among fans because it significantly changed the sound of the instruments, especially drums. The remix version was used on all early CD copies and was the only version available for over 20 years. A remastered and expanded edition of the album was released on February 28, 2006, which contains three bonus live tracks. The 2006 edition is the first CD version to use Manning's original 1973 mix. Subsequent releases on digital platforms such as iTunes have used the original mix as well.
Fuck sake they went fucking with thier own shit
paul_

Post by paul_ »

ZZ Top were just a record label ploy to facilitate the success of Stevie Ray Vaughn.

I had the rip of the Tres Hombres vinyl on my last hard drive that died... I kinda liked it, but not really. Any other classic stuff from the early '70s whups it... I think maybe you have to be playing billiards in tight jeans or something.
Last edited by paul_ on Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

paul_ wrote:I had the rip of the Tres Hombres vinyl on my last hard drive that died... I kinda liked it, but not really. Any other classic stuff from the early '70s whups it... I think maybe you have to be playing billiards in tight jeans or something.
I really like Billy Gibbons playing and tone, it’s so laid back with a less is more approach.
dub

Post by dub »

That new EHX Eddy looks like a lot of modulation for just 99USD. I've been eyeing up the EQD Depths for a vibrato, but I seriously don't need any more gear to be honest.

A setup that dooms and does extreme metal? I think the suggestion of using your pickup selector is a good one here, set up the neck to doom out then use the bridge for teh nasties. Really depends what kind of stuff you're playing though, something full range that sounds great with sustained chords might be too flabby if you start trying to palm-mute. RATs are a good mix of both (fuzz-distortion) worlds.

Stacking combos I've been enjoying:

Perc (diodes out, minimal gain)>Muff
Perc does a clanging dirty clean tone, or can be used to push the muff for a bit extra, muff does heavier riffs, sustainy bad Gilmour bits.

Similar setup with :
Fuzzface>RAT (set to low gain, very slight volume boost) just cause I generally prefer the full range of the FF as a vintage doomy rhythm tone.

Klon (no gain, volume at unity, treble boosted)>Fuzzface
Klon used to tighten up the low end for chugging, boost the high end for leads and clean bits.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Fran wrote:
paul_ wrote:I had the rip of the Tres Hombres vinyl on my last hard drive that died... I kinda liked it, but not really. Any other classic stuff from the early '70s whups it... I think maybe you have to be playing billiards in tight jeans or something.
I really like Billy Gibbons playing and tone, it’s so laid back with a less is more approach.
Yup. I’ve got nostalgia for the 80s output, but the early albums are great. He’s such a good player. Maybe a little too fond of a pinch harmonic, but at least you know it’s him.