My new pedal set up ... advice? Options?

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Dave
TOTALLY MODD

My new pedal set up ... advice? Options?

Post by Dave »

(Dots let me know if you want this in the Effects and gear subforum :) )

Ideally I want the money from my sales to go to Shortscalers or their businesses. I'd apreciate some advice and feedback on stuff, pretend I'm a noob because I am, I really haven't paid attention to guitar world in years really. I've forgotten a lot!

So here's what I am pretty sure I WUNT starting with the ones that will cost money.

WAH PEDAL
FREDRIC EFFECTS WEASEL STOMP CUSTOM WAH - I really really want the Tim/Fredric effects Weasel stomp (Harmonic Energizer) rehoused in a wah casing with knobs mounted and accessible. currently runs on an expression pedal, and with the knobs min/maxed for max sweep gives an AWESOME wah sound...but the expression pedal works the opposite way to wah pedals (heel back for highs). Years ago I spoke to Mike who said he could do it, and I am sure Tim would be able to do this too, gonna ask them if that's possible and if neither have time or need for a custom job then will need to find someone savvy. I REALLY want that sound in a wah. In fact if Tim sold it in a wah housing with the same awesome 'purple and weasels' design...it would be an INCREDIBLE looking and sounding thing (Go on you know you want to, so i can just buy one off you plsssss). The OG pedal is beautiful as is too and sounds great, I just am an awkward cuss and want a wah version. LOOKIT DAT BEAUTY:

FUZZ/DISTORTION
A MIKE DREAMBOX - I currently have a MIM 78 IC MUff half, But the dreambox does more and in a nice integrated way. So I want to purchase a Dreambox for all kinds of tones, from Gilmours to pumpkins. I maaaay consider a a different build (if an option) with the MXR side swapped out for something different (a scaler once suggested an Ultralord!). Maybe. I need to talk to Mike and Benecol to see how things stand on that front, times being what they are.

HEAVY/SLUDGE/BLACK/DEATH METAL DISTORTION.
For a band project, I need something that will do super super heavy stuff. Absolutely no idea whats out there for this purpose, hoping a shortscaler makes something apt? Any suggestions welcome.

DELAY

The ARION Stereo Analogue delay was my first ever pedal, I still have it, it's known as one of those secret cheap but awesome pedals, especially if run on 12 volts.... It also helps it is in Boba Fett colours. Mine is very old and probably not going to last long. I'd like to get it either rehoused in a metal box with a custom Boba fett image, or scratch built clone with Fett image OR can you persuade me to look at other

Things I keeping and will have on the board BUT IF YOU THINK THERE ARE MORE MODERN STUFF THAT MIGHT SERVE ME BETTER IN THESE ROLES, JUST SAY!:

POST PUNK(ish)DISTORTION
FREDRIC EFFECTS HARMONIC PERCOLATOR - no mods, just as it is, all AWESOME AND TING. For my Albini fetish.

POSH DISTORTION
Moolon Distortion pedal, a gift from the lovely Andi R

CRAZY

DWARFCRAFT GREAT DESTROYER, from my old pal Aen x

BUFFER
I have this cool little customised Fredric Klon buffer box thingy, I assume I'll need it? TBH I cant remember the rules around these in pedal chains. I think my Korg DT10 has a buffer too .... will have a few pedal for sure so may need a boost. Anyone?

REVERB
Bheringer Ultra Reverb. Its all I got and seems comprehensive.

VIBRATO
I have this here Bheringer vibrato unit. never really played around with it so best see whats up before deciding.

TUNER

Korg DT10 Tuner
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
iCEByTes wrote:Blunt a joint , Take the Touch , Listen this.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Sounds good! No other modulation options, though? Chorus/flange/phase?

Something like an Echo Base or a Memory Man might give you them analogue sounding delay sounds with the options of some phase/chorus etc.

Or sack it all in and by a Line 6 M9.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

For the “Heavy Sound� it kinda depends on what you’re going for. When I think of that sound I think of a lot of the stoner and doom bands, and I’ve had luck getting a tone like that by stacking distortions (boost into fuzz, etc), but it can be achieved in a lot of different ways.

To answer your actual question regarding that sound, idk if a Shortscaler makes something like that either :lol: but if they do they should definitely PM me as well
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Bacchus wrote:Sounds good! No other modulation options, though? Chorus/flange/phase?

Something like an Echo Base or a Memory Man might give you them analogue sounding delay sounds with the options of some phase/chorus etc.
Good point, I hadnt even thought that far, and probably will have to add to the build over time. Would those options be as good as seperate dedicated Delay/Chorus/flange? Do you use them?

Bacchus wrote:Or sack it all in and by a Line 6 M9.
WHO EVEN ARE YOU
iCEByTes wrote:5 Most Jizz face maker Solo�s , classic Rock music i ever listened.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Don't know if he still does them but Mike made me a fantastic tape delay pedal many years back:

Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

kingkiller wrote:For the “Heavy Sound� it kinda depends on what you’re going for. When I think of that sound I think of a lot of the stoner and doom bands, and I’ve had luck getting a tone like that by stacking distortions (boost into fuzz, etc), but it can be achieved in a lot of different ways.

To answer your actual question regarding that sound, idk if a Shortscaler makes something like that either :lol: but if they do they should definitely PM me as well
I'll definitely end up with a lot of dirt options on the board already, so that would be DREEAMBOX (IC MUFF AND DISTORTION2), MOOLON DISTORION, GREATDESTROYER FUZZ?DISTORTION, HARMONIC PERC DIST. I also have a booster pedal too actually I was thinking of selling but I guess it may have a use then. Maybe I dont need a separate METAL pedal too.

To give an idea of what I'm aiming for is literally a cross between DEATh and Black metal sounds, with added sludge..... so its....wait for it wait for it...BLACK DEATH METAL....OTHERWISE KNOWN AS.... PLAGUE METAL. And yes its as cartoony in concept as it sounds. So wanna find THAT SOUND As you say, maybe its a case of experimenting with what I have already rather than a new dedicated pedal. Have you found any particular pedals or combinations cool?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Dave wrote:
Bacchus wrote:Sounds good! No other modulation options, though? Chorus/flange/phase?

Good point, I hadnt even thought that far, and probably will have to add to the build over time. Would those options be as good as seperate dedicated Delay/Chorus/flange? Do you use them?
I have a Memory Man w/ Hazarai. Great fun. Superb pedal. Not as good as a dedicated chorus.

Dave wrote:
Bacchus wrote:Or sack it all in and by a Line 6 M9.
WHO EVEN ARE YOU
Meh, I'm all for boutique drives etc, but I think that for reverb and modulation, an M5 gets me 95% of the way there. I'm not interested in exploring that last 5% as it seems to be the preserve of virgins who have a lot more money than me.
Last edited by Bacchus on Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Also Stomping Wahzel sounds like a great idea.
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Bacchus wrote:for reverb and modulation, an M5 gets me 95% of the way there. I'm not interested in exploring that last 5% as it seems to be the preserve of virgins who have a lot more money than me.
Well I am dirt poor so I'll add it to the consideration list! If you recommend it its good enough for me. I'll see what my sales nets me and then know what is possible
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

Bacchus wrote:Also Stomping Wahzel sounds like a great idea.
OMG DAT NAME PERFIC
Dave
TOTALLY MODD

Post by Dave »

BearBoy wrote:Don't know if he still does them but Mike made me a fantastic tape delay pedal many years back:

Looks swish! Dat Benecol graphic design is always a winner
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Dave wrote:
Bacchus wrote:for reverb and modulation, an M5 gets me 95% of the way there. I'm not interested in exploring that last 5% as it seems to be the preserve of virgins who have a lot more money than me.
Well I am dirt poor so I'll add it to the consideration list! If you recommend it its good enough for me. I'll see what my sales nets me and then know what is possible
Oh, delay also. It does most of the delays you want. And weird robot noises. And mediocre drives, but you're not there for them.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Dave wrote:
kingkiller wrote:For the “Heavy Sound� it kinda depends on what you’re going for. When I think of that sound I think of a lot of the stoner and doom bands, and I’ve had luck getting a tone like that by stacking distortions (boost into fuzz, etc), but it can be achieved in a lot of different ways.

I'll definitely end up with a lot of dirt options on the board already, so that would be DREEAMBOX (IC MUFF AND DISTORTION2), MOOLON DISTORION, GREATDESTROYER FUZZ?DISTORTION, HARMONIC PERC DIST. I also have a booster pedal too actually I was thinking of selling but I guess it may have a use then. Maybe I dont need a separate METAL pedal too.

To give an idea of what I'm aiming for is literally a cross between DEATh and Black metal sounds, with added sludge..... so its....wait for it wait for it...BLACK DEATH METAL....OTHERWISE KNOWN AS.... PLAGUE METAL. And yes its as cartoony in concept as it sounds. So wanna find THAT SOUND As you say, maybe its a case of experimenting with what I have already rather than a new dedicated pedal. Have you found any particular pedals or combinations cool?
My pedalboard is still pretty small, but my main “stack� is a cheapass Amazon boost pedal into a DS-1 (that I still need to mod bc the level drop SUCKS) into a Danelectro FAB Fuzz, which is all in front of a Micro Terror. So I can do a couple different sounds halfway decent, but the boost into the fuzz with the amp gain lower and the volume up can nail the Dopethrone tone (Dopetoan?). For PLAGUE METAL you’d probably need something with definition, but you probably already knew that :lol:
Doog
mid-century modem

Re: My new pedal set up ... advice? Options?

Post by Doog »

Groggy Morning Thoughts:

- WAH PEDAL: in the meantime, you could mod your expression pedal to work backwards (should just be a swapping 2 wires around) for your Weasel Stomp, or pick up an alternative; my Moog EP-3 has a polarity switch which does this, as do others

- FUZZ/DISTORTION: Mike might be able to rehouse your IC Muff guts into a new enclosure with the second circuit

- HEAVY/SLUDGE/BLACK/DEATH METAL DISTORTION: you will 100% be able to cop suitable sounds with any of these other pedals you've already got, even if it be a combo of 'em; I feel like running the HP into another mild drive will do nice doomy things.

- BUFFER: Presuming the bypasses on your pedals aren't garbage, just put your DT10 first on your board and you won't "need" a buffer

- DELAY: I'm positive there's an equivalent in the affordable Mooer/Donner/EHX etc. lines, especially if you don't really require the stereo element. There's a TC Electronic Flashback Mini delay on Cash Converters right now for £50; has all that TonePrint stuff (where you can update the 'model' and properly tweak additiona deep parameters via the software), so I'm sure you could get something like that very close to the Arion. That said, it sounds like this is more of a nostalgia thing for you, so maybe that doesn't really matter.

Gonna totally modd this into the Effects forum also
Last edited by Doog on Wed Feb 17, 2021 11:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

The dt10 has a brilliant buffer!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Similar suggestion to Paul, but if you're short on pedalboard space it might be worth looking at a Zoom ms-70cdr for all your delay/reverb/modulation needs. Great little pedal, and you can now load other patches onto them. I've got the ms-100 which they don't make any more and it's a brilliant utility in the size of single stomp box.
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Rolling the treble off on the amp works well, Billy Gibbons allegedly has his set at zero with stacked fuzz pedals.
Now, I know ZZ Top aren’t a heavy doom/stoner band but listen to his syrupy tone and imagine his tuning dropped down to C# with some dark riffs.
I tried it not long back and on the Orange Amp it sounds good.
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

Fran wrote:

Rolling the treble off on the amp works well, Billy Gibbons allegedly has his set at zero with stacked fuzz pedals.
Now, I know ZZ Top aren’t a heavy doom/stoner band but listen to his syrupy tone and imagine his tuning dropped down to C# with some dark riffs.
I tried it not long back and on the Orange Amp it sounds good.
I already keep the treble down a bit (the micro terror has one EQ knob that just shifts between bass and treble) but I’ll have to try it. Doom and stoner metal are mostly just bastardizations of blues riffs anyways, they all just stole it from Sabbath
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

And don't underestimate your guitar's tone knob for this kinda stuff
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Doog wrote:And don't underestimate your guitar's tone knob for this kinda stuff
/witchcraft
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band