'Blackface'

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Nick
Y'SEE!?

'Blackface'

Post by Nick »

Should we make an effort to stop using this to describe Fender amps of a certain era? Feels weird in 2021. Same with 'brownface'.

"Black/Brown Panel" works just as well and is more descriptive if anything.

Silverface is still ok I think but I might like 'chrome panel' better to keep the terms uniform.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

This is something I’ve thought about! Wasn’t sure if I was overthinking it, or if it was just too entrenched in guitar jargon at this point.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

I think the famously liberal, keen on new ideas guitar player crowd would be fine with this.

And I agree with you.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

But I already named my mid 60’s combos Amos and Andy.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

benecol wrote:I think the famously liberal, keen on new ideas guitar player crowd would be fine with this.
:lol:
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

SILVER LIVES MATTER
NickD

Post by NickD »

Replacing face with panel works pretty well.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Does it matter if the blackfaceplate amps are superior to other amps tho?

Like no one wants a 76 Twin or a 89 red knobbies twin
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

robroe wrote:Does it matter if the blackfaceplate amps are superior to other amps tho?

Rob: FUCK THE POLICE

Also Rob: *literally defends blackface*
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Nick wrote:
robroe wrote:Does it matter if the blackfaceplate amps are superior to other amps tho?

Rob: FUCK THE POLICE

Also Rob: *literally defends blackaug*
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

The late 70's Twins that no one wants are ultra-linears, and the red knob ones are the Evil Twin or 'The Twin'.

Those terms are both jargon and not household references by any stretch, whereas 'blackface' and 'brownface' have very universally understood definitions to most people outside of the guitarist bubble. I'm not saying that describing an amp by the 'color' of its 'face' on its own is racist; after all I think the offensive thing about 'blackface' is not the word itself but, you know, actually wearing it. But if you would have to explain to others why the words you're using aren't racist, then maybe just find other words?
kingkiller
LET ME BE CLEAR

Post by kingkiller »

I’ve always felt weird calling the amps “blackface�, so this is a good idea IMO. I also wonder if phrasing it as “black face� as opposed to one word would be an acceptable compromise for teh bl00z guys, but I also assume that they hate everything except themselves so.
Hurb wrote:I love Jizz
Al_ wrote:I prefer to squeeze balls.
Doog wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 1:50 pm(bussy?)
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Blackface is terrible indeed, I use it and being a non English speaker it didn't jar on my ears/click till this moment. Black panel I think might do.
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

kingkiller wrote:I also wonder if phrasing it as “black face� as opposed to one word would be an acceptable compromise for teh bl00z guys,.
Yeah, that little pause in the middle would in no way serve as emphasis, like dramatic punctuation. Ten. Million. Dollars.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

benecol wrote:I think the famously liberal, keen on new ideas guitar player crowd would be fine with this.

And I agree with you.
Park me here also; I too have mulled on this, as well as the whole "blacklist/whitelist" thing which occasionally comes up in my job (although I guess it's a widely-used expression generally). Pretty gross.
Last edited by Doog on Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Funnily enough this came to mind a couple of weeks ago and I was thinking how weird it was that the phrase was bandied about without comment. Decided I was probably being over sensitive but maybe not?

So, who's going to start the thread on TGP?
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Doog wrote:the whole "blacklist/whitelist" thing which occasionally comes up in my job (although I guess it's a generic expression).
This comes up a lot at work and I don't recall anyone ever commenting on any negative connotations tbh (and my company is generally very forward thinking on equality etc issues). I think it's basically industry standard terminology at this point though.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

BearBoy wrote:
Doog wrote:the whole "blacklist/whitelist" thing which occasionally comes up in my job (although I guess it's a generic expression).
This comes up a lot at work and I don't recall anyone ever commenting on any negative connotations tbh (and my company is generally very forward thinking on equality etc issues). I think it's basically industry standard terminology at this point though.
I guess it's removed enough to not immediately make someone think of what it represents.

http://www.adexchanger.com/data-driven ... 0explained.

'Blocklist/includelist' sounds pretty good to me.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Thanks for the article. Blocklist seems like a good alternative although "Allowlist" reads to me like All Owl List :)
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

As if thinking of owls could ever be a bad thing