'Blackface'

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Nick wrote:The late 70's Twins that no one wants are ultra-linears, and the red knob ones are the Evil Twin or 'The Twin'.

Those terms are both jargon and not household references by any stretch, whereas 'blackface' and 'brownface' have very universally understood definitions to most people outside of the guitarist bubble. I'm not saying that describing an amp by the 'color' of its 'face' on its own is racist; after all I think the offensive thing about 'blackface' is not the word itself but, you know, actually wearing it. But if you would have to explain to others why the words you're using aren't racist, then maybe just find other words?

my silver lives matter comment was a sarcastic play on "blue lives matter" as in fuck the police

then in my next comment i used the word "blackfaceplate" to describe them superior to other colors.
then i made a blackaug joke because lolz
I've never even used the word you are talking about in this thread dude. slow down on all the you pronouns bro.

whats the difference between blackfaceplate and black panel, you want me to put a space between black and faceplate ? ok. black faceplate.
im just trying to work this out like everyone else here, no ones racist
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

robroe wrote: whats the difference between blackfaceplate and black panel
One of those words still has blackface in it and one doesn’t. No I don’t think adding a space would change how it sounds.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Nick wrote:
robroe wrote: whats the difference between blackfaceplate and black panel
One of those words still has blackface in it and one doesn’t. No I don’t think adding a space would change how it sounds.

It is odd that we never call the front of an amp the face of an amp. It's just the front of the amp. The only time the word face is used is in this situation.

Face was probably shortened from face plate and some point in time just as panel was shortened from control panel.

I'm going to take what you have shown me, use it, and then tell my real life musicians friends about it because I think it's a worthwhile thing to change what we say.

I think hopefully in practice that the circles we run with would be more accepting of changing how we word things than say a parkinglot redskins fans hell bent on TRADITION, FREEDOM, and KAPPERNICK BAAAADD
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Doog wrote:As if thinking of owls could ever be a bad thing
owlbq

I was in a production meeting (virtual) last night and noticed we were all older white dudes except one younger white dude and younger white woman. Granted we’ve been working together for decades but still, let’s get some diversity happening fellows.

Also I hadn’t heard the phrase, “you’re muted� so many times in a 45 minute period.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickS

Post by NickS »

BearBoy wrote:"Allowlist" reads to me like All Owl List :)
Surely all-owl-ist, someone who embraces all owls equally?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah, I'm generally pro-Owl (prowl?) so can get behind this.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

BearBoy wrote: So, who's going to start the thread on TGP?
I’ll do it, it’ll probably go over as well as Medicine Melancholy teaching us about privilege in 2011 but I’ll do it.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Share link I want to p0wn old people
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

plopswagon wrote:I was in a production meeting (virtual) last night and noticed we were all older white dudes except one younger white dude and younger white woman. Granted we’ve been working together for decades but still, let’s get some diversity happening fellows.

Also I hadn’t heard the phrase, “you’re muted� so many times in a 45 minute period.
I don't know if the same terms are used for the parts that physically make up the stage on that side of the pond as over here, but in all my time doing stage-work, I never quite got used to hearing the call that it was time to "hang the blacks."
NickS

Post by NickS »

Bacchus wrote:I don't know if the same terms are used for the parts that physically make up the stage on that side of the pond as over here, but in all my time doing stage-work, I never quite got used to hearing the call that it was time to "hang the blacks."
:shock:
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

:lol: I will correct or technical director next opportunity.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

I’ve been working some some architecture stuff at work where I’m having to refer to hardware modules as Master and Slave counterparts which like blacklisting and whitelisting are pretty standard engineering terms, but it’s pretty horrible nonetheless and does bother me

I sort of want to do a huge global find and replace but I’m not sure what the replacement non offensive pairing is

Leader and Follower doesn’t really describe what is happening here which is an overall control of a system and distribution of a workloads split into chunks by various agents with no autonomy...

Director and Actor?

Fat Controller and Thomas?

Ryder and the Paw Patrol?
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Mike wrote:Ryder and the Paw Patrol?
Haha. Please get this into common usage :lol:
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Top and bottom?
► Show Spoiler
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

plopswagon wrote:Top and bottom?
If your bottom has no autonomy I feel bad for you son
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

^ after last night's dinner, that's the most accurate thing I've heard today
► Show Spoiler
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Ay Caramba!
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Mike wrote:Leader and Follower doesn’t really describe what is happening here which is an overall control of a system and distribution of a workloads split into chunks by various agents with no autonomy...

Director and Actor?

Fat Controller and Thomas?

Ryder and the Paw Patrol?
In design software you call it a parent and child relationship (which if you really wanted to drill down, could also be problematic, but it's the best we've got).
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

"Thing what tells the other thing what to do", something nice, snappy and clear.

I don't know, if you say "my amp is a black face", I know what you're referring to and it's not a minstrel. It's not controversial.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

*turns to face jury with a quizzical expression*

"...and if you weren't familiar with amplifiers? What then?"