'Blackface'

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

Good commentary in my opinion.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Yeah, I thought so too.
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

not bad, and he's right.

also think master/slave needs to go and can easily be replaced by lead and supplemental or something.

the gender based terminology... might take a while as any colloquial or even sterile replacements are going to get the middle school treatment for a while. still, not a bad idea to shift.
henkstroem

Post by henkstroem »

When discussing Fender amps, why not refer to them by AA764 or 5e3 or whatever model it is and forget about looks. Beauty lies inside, and Fender transitional periods were long and winding.

Schematics over esthetics.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Glad to be ahead of the curve on this one.

Did Fender really stop using it? They are surely watching us. Or at least saw my thread on tgp.
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

They clearly read the forums

We’re part of the reason all the offset models exist now in the Squier and Fender lines
NickS

Post by NickS »

plopswagon wrote:Good commentary in my opinion.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Came here to post the video!

Really happy to see this gradual shift get adopted by relatively high-profile companies; Microsoft-owned software version control Github just recently did away with the 'master' branch labelling in favour of 'main'.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Yeah, all the racially and sexually charged jargonism should be purged from all kinds of lingos by now. It's weird that I have rather great inertia in things like that not because I'm trying to be especially racist or sexist but because of a dumb habit. But then I hear people say things that were habitual for me only yesterday and they clash on my ears
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Doog wrote:Came here to post the video!

Really happy to see this gradual shift get adopted by relatively high-profile companies; Microsoft-owned software version control Github just recently did away with the 'master' branch labelling in favour of 'main'.
were there 'slave' branches paired with them? that duo nomenclature has been around in IT for ages and seems easy enough to change with good ol' 1s and 0s.

not trying to delve into whataboutery here, but i know folks with 'Master' degrees and 'Master Chef' status among other titles and achievements. what's the interest level in paring those back?
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

I always assumed that referred to mastery of a craft or discipline, rather than over another person.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

dots wrote:
Doog wrote:Came here to post the video!

were there 'slave' branches paired with them? that duo nomenclature has been around in IT for ages and seems easy enough to change with good ol' 1s and 0s.

not trying to delve into whataboutery here, but i know folks with 'Master' degrees and 'Master Chef' status among other titles and achievements. what's the interest level in paring those back?
Nah, and I hear what you're saying. My personal opinion is if such moves promote more compassionate and inclusive thought patterns then = good.

Maybe all of this shit is just "the white lefty echo chamber patting itself on the back and enjoying its own farts while they're there"? "The musician community version of brands using a rainbow logo for Pride month before tearing it down at midnight July 1st"?

We all know that being strongly and vocally anti-racist is of more importance than anything discussed here, but if I can do a little housekeeping while also being a good ally, why the fuck not.

As to your second point, the world of academia has plenty of horrible institutional shit that needs addressing as a priority before rebranding "master" degrees, but lets see how that plays out.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

that's where my head's at: doing actual things. most of the time, the Ctrl-H approach i think makes more waves on either ends of the debate versus what is actually changed when you consider all of the policies still mostly unwritten to undo generations' worth of demonstrable damage. the "white lefty echo chamber" has some good intentions, but i don't see defaulting all dissenters with alienation as a winning strategy. just by virtue of bacchus pointing out the competing applications of terms, however, creates that risk outside of known-safe spaces for sharing such an idea. that's half the reason i say about 5% of what i think in almost any social circle and just change my behaviors with what resonates with me. that's not a winning strategy either, and it's difficult not to feel part of the problem i'm trying to help resolve.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

I don’t want to over generalize but sometimes it feels like the people freaking out over the smallest infraction are white folks suppressing their inner Karen.

It doesn’t help to be self righteous but it does help to listen and learn and maybe not take the lead.
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

they're all leaders and always right, at least that's what i've read on the book :lol:

i think difficulty in having the conversation mostly boils down to people aren't being conditioned to ask questions or answer them in an open, present, and connected way. it's always about owning the conversation. i mean, i'm all for accountability, but fingers just seem poised on the nuke button as a rule.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

^ Mezz delete this shit!
► Show Spoiler
Thomas

Post by Thomas »

plopswagon wrote:Good commentary in my opinion.
^This. I really like this guy’s videos. I actually just watched it before popping on here.
NickD

Post by NickD »

plopswagon wrote:I don’t want to over generalize but sometimes it feels like the people freaking out over the smallest infraction are white folks suppressing their inner Karen.

It doesn’t help to be self righteous but it does help to listen and learn and maybe not take the lead.
This is true, and it isn't necessarily for straight white people to take offence on behalf of minorities, and doing so can sometimes weaken the effect of the stuff that is really important.

I saw a news article about describing an athlete with British and Chinese parentage as mixed race, and some kind of media outcry about it, but the comment thread was full of people saying that is exactly how they'd describe themselves. It made for interesting reading.
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Nick wrote:Glad to be ahead of the curve on this one.

Did Fender really stop using it? They are surely watching us. Or at least saw my thread on tgp.
Did they even use it originally? I thought it was just collectors' jargon, although they probably put that in the descriptions of the reissues for their "vintage" craving target demographic.

Kind of weird because the "brownface" amps have really dark panels, could even be mistaken for black. Never really thought of them in that way until I read about it, their most distinguishing feature is the white or brown tolex (and knobs also). Weirder still, I've seen replacement faceplates which look almost copper, even on some fully made replicas.

Didn't know about that slang term for Les Paul cases before I watched that video.

Did Gibson call their Les Paul Customs "Black Beauty"? Not sure it's racist in that case, but I think it's also a collectors' term.

B.B. King's Lucille is kind of sexist though.
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

Fakir Mustache wrote:
Didn't know about that slang term for Les Paul cases before I watched that video.

Did Gibson call their Les Paul Customs "Black Beauty"? Not sure it's racist in that case, but I think it's also a collectors' term.

B.B. King's Lucille is kind of sexist though.
1. Same, gross. File this with Friedman and their creepy product lineup nomenclature.

2. Pretty sure not originally. It seems they use it in their marketing but not the name of the guitar itself (similar to Fender’s use of “Blackface�). Black Beauty is in reference to the famous novel about a horse that’s been adapted to film as recently as last year and known/beloved by generations, I don’t think there are racist connotations.

3. The story of how he named the guitar seems harmless enough, but the fact that it sort of became his thing to name all his guitars that for so long makes it seem a tad misogynistic in hindsight.