Northwest Guitars Jag Shop

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Doog wrote:Yeah, it's definitely a pretty brittle clearcoat, and there's with nothing to speak of on the black Squier CV Jag after 7-odd months of playing. Ah well, get what you pay for, I guess.
The Highway One models from Fender were finished with an intention to age quickly. Only know this because I had a Strat and the slightest thing would mark the clear coat, reading into the the design and finish it was intentional.

Northwest guitars have got some cool stuff available, we all need another project dont we.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

They called that thinskin nitro or something, didn't they? The reviews I remember reading when they came out reckoned that nitro sounds better than poly, and thin nitro sounds better again. Nothing to do with cost cutting....
Fran
The Curmudgeon

Post by Fran »

Bacchus wrote:They called that thinskin nitro or something, didn't they? The reviews I remember reading when they came out reckoned that nitro sounds better than poly, and thin nitro sounds better again. Nothing to do with cost cutting....
Aye, something like that Paul.
I dropped some cigarette ash on mine one night and it went from looking new to SRV’s Strat within 30 seconds :lol:
BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

:lol:
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

It's about aging indeed. Thick poly finish guitars from the 80s still look like they were made yesterday to the disappointment of their owners who are about to die from being old but their guitars don't even start to look like Rory Gallagher's strat. For those who want their guitars to look vintage from playing wear there's thin nitro finish
matte30is wrote:Someone man up and get a balloon.
Johno

Post by Johno »

Any of you tried out the necks? Are they comparable with Allparts?
I have a Duo Sonic/ Mus9cmaster body hang8ng around.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Doog wrote:Back at my place, I managed to put some nice bucklerash on the upper bout after 30m of playing, wearing my new metal-strap equipped watch, doh.

There's a good chance it'll buff out, and you only really see it when the light catches it, kinda annoying though, but still annoying.
Stewmac to the rescue, it ACTUALLY WORKED!

sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Wow that’s impressive
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

My only question is how are you wearing your belt buckles?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

People come up and rub their belt buckles against the guitar while Doog is playing
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

That turned out great.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

plopswagon wrote:My only question is how are you wearing your belt buckles?
sunshiner wrote:People come up and rub their belt buckles against the guitar while Doog is playing
This is the correct answer although it's actually a mannequin dressed in bondage gear that I rub myself against while playing

I got lucky with someone selling a few bits of unused Stewmac products on eBay for 30 Ls, glad I took the punt!

I guess all it's doing is only slightly melting the very top of clearcoat, as you're able to buff out the 'swirls' produced using the same product. I initially tried it on the deep scratches on the back of my old 80's Squier Strat body and it don't think it made a difference at all.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
NickD

Post by NickD »

Doog wrote:
sunshiner wrote:People come up and rub their belt buckles against the guitar while Doog is playing
This is the correct answer although it's actually a mannequin dressed in bondage gear that I rub myself against while playing

I got lucky with someone selling a few bits of unused Stewmac products on eBay for 30 Ls, glad I took the punt!

I guess all it's doing is only slightly melting the very top of clearcoat, as you're able to buff out the 'swirls' produced using the same product. I initially tried it on the deep scratches on the back of my old 80's Squier Strat body and it don't think it made a difference at all.
It’s probably a cutting polish, so it’s taking off layers of clear coat to remove the scratches. The usual rule of thumb, at least with using this kind of polish on a car, is that if you can feel the scratch with a thumbnail it won’t polish out, if it’s visible but not feelable it should polish out.
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

Also you're onto a new vibrato technique when you hold a note and a member of the audience aggressively bangs your guitar for a minute or two
sunshiner

Post by sunshiner »

I'll ask my uncle to help me with that
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I'm more worried about where the guitar is.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
singlepup

Post by singlepup »

I checked out the pricing, and Northwest has some really great deals. $228 for a finished Jazzmaster body is awesome... Warmoth's bodies usually go for $350-400. Shipping to the US starts at 20 L's.

Interesting that Northwest notes the Jazzmaster bodies are MIJ, but no such comments on the Jaguar page. Instead states that the Jaguar bodies are made by hand at their own own factory... so possibly in England?