Recovery Effects Shortwave

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

Thom
lamp

Recovery Effects Shortwave

Post by Thom »

I ordered this about 7 weeks ago in the hope that it would arrive by today (my birthday) and it just made it yesterday! Opened it up this morning and have had a quick play for about 10 mins and it's totally awesome and crazy. It's a lo-fi radio and wire recorder emulator (whatever that means!) and goes from subtle lo-fi to crazy destroy your signal type sounds with modulation thrown in. Sounds really cool, and useable too, not just crazy. Tried it before and after dirt and decided it sounded better before, which was good as it meant a straight swap into the pedalboard! Obviously got rogered by the comedy tax and handling fee, but it's my birthday so... Feel like this is a pedal I'm going to have to send to Hurb at some point to demo on his Youtube channel.

http://recoveryeffects.com/collections ... -emulation

BearBoy

Post by BearBoy »

Happy Birthday Thom!
Fran wrote:I love how this place is basic as fuck.
ekwatts wrote:I'm just going to smash it in with a hammer and hope it works. Tone is all in the fingers anyway.
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Happy birthday Thom!

I’m in the mood for some lo fi effects. Been wishing I had a instant lo-fi junky recently.

Have a great bday!
www.lowrisemusic.com

uugh, another Manchester alt/indie band
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Cheers guys!
Freddy V-C
NOD FLANGERS

Post by Freddy V-C »

Happy Birthday Thom!

I always think effects like this sound cool, but I never know what I'd use them for. So if it isn't a stupid question, what will you use this for?
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Congratulations that looks like lots of fun! I follow recovery effects on Instagram but haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I love the look and vibe. This to my ears sounds like the DBA robot sans fuzz and with added vibrato.
Thank you for the offer of demoing it I would of course be up for that and could send you something of mine to try out in return if you liked?
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Freddy V-C wrote:Happy Birthday Thom!

I always think effects like this sound cool, but I never know what I'd use them for. So if it isn't a stupid question, what will you use this for?
Cheers Freddy. To be honest, right now I’m just using it for putting a massive grin on my face! :lol:
But, once the band gets back together I’m probably going to try and find a couple of more subtle tones and use it in an intro or bridge/chorus to define or drop back. Few years ago we recorded a song with a really lofi guitar intro and I was never able to reproduce it live, but could do now..
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Hurb wrote:Congratulations that looks like lots of fun! I follow recovery effects on Instagram but haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I love the look and vibe. This to my ears sounds like the DBA robot sans fuzz and with added vibrato.
Thank you for the offer of demoing it I would of course be up for that and could send you something of mine to try out in return if you liked?
Cheers mate! I think that sounds like a good description! Let me spend a while with it and yeah sounds cool, let’s sort out some sort of swap.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

Nifty, sounds like it's a bitcrusher with vibrato?

Happy birthday (again), Mr Lamp!
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Doog wrote:Nifty, sounds like it's a bitcrusher with vibrato?

Happy birthday (again), Mr Lamp!
Thanks (again) Doog! Yeah the modulation is definitely vibrato, but because it has the 2 modes, it’s quite varied. Can’t quite tell what they do in enough detail yet, but one sounds more ring-moddy and the other more bit crusher. I’m loving the less crazy settings that really do sound like a shortwave radio broadcast.
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

Thom wrote:
Hurb wrote:Congratulations that looks like lots of fun! I follow recovery effects on Instagram but haven't pulled the trigger on anything. I love the look and vibe. This to my ears sounds like the DBA robot sans fuzz and with added vibrato.
Cheers mate! I think that sounds like a good description! Let me spend a while with it and yeah sounds cool, let’s sort out some sort of swap.
Sure thing!
lorez

Post by lorez »

happy b'day Thom and I hope you keep that grin on your face and make more crazy tones
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
NickS

Post by NickS »

Happy birthday Thom (and my wife)!
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Thanks guys :) and happy bday for yesterday Mrs NickS!
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Just watched the demo. This type of effect is what I’m after at the moment. I was thinking a instant lo-fi junky, but this seems to have less static on it. Are there any other pedals other than these two, that I should be looking for, for that stretched tape warble?
www.lowrisemusic.com

Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

gusman2x wrote:Just watched the demo. This type of effect is what I’m after at the moment. I was thinking a instant lo-fi junky, but this seems to have less static on it. Are there any other pedals other than these two, that I should be looking for, for that stretched tape warble?
I had an Instant Lo-fi Junky for a bit, and I don't remember it adding static as part of the "lo-fi" vibe, per se? From memory, it's basically just a very heavy-handed compressor (which in turn raises the noise floor) and a vibrato that gets chorusey when you blend the in the clean signal. It's definitely spot-on for the "warped taped" vibes with the right settings, I just wish there was a control for the compressor ratio.
Last edited by Doog on Wed Mar 03, 2021 9:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

gusman2x wrote:Just watched the demo. This type of effect is what I’m after at the moment. I was thinking a instant lo-fi junky, but this seems to have less static on it. Are there any other pedals other than these two, that I should be looking for, for that stretched tape warble?
You can get good results from the cheeky Zoom ms-70cdr
gusman2x

Post by gusman2x »

Hurb wrote:
That’s a really good shout. A few times over the years I’ve thought about getting one. And each time it’s been for a different application. I should prob just get one.
www.lowrisemusic.com

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

gusman2x wrote:
Hurb wrote:
That’s a really good shout. A few times over the years I’ve thought about getting one. And each time it’s been for a different application. I should prob just get one.
You can't go wrong with one to be honest
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

Hurb - I mailed Recovery to say thanks for getting the pedal to me for my birthday and how much I was enjoying it. I also mentioned that I’d send it over to you for a demo once I could tear myself away from it and Zera said she just followed Destroying Amps on Instagram and will look out for it :)