talk to me about reverb pedals

Pickups, pedals, amps, cabs, combos

Moderated By: mods

lorez

talk to me about reverb pedals

Post by lorez »

So reverb.

I have a behringer reverb machine pedal and have lots of reverb plugins on ableton and a couple of modules I could use in the eurorack rig but I wondered what I should consider to replace the behringer pedal? I dont have mega money for styrmon pedal. I have a bassman amp so any pedal will be before the amp and not in any loop, etc.

or should I sell the bassman and get an amp with reverb built in?

Thoughts?
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
dub

Post by dub »

I always thought that Behringer sounded pretty good.

You could have a look for a Digitech Polara, they used a bunch of lexicon algorithms in those.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Line 6 M5 or Zoom MS70 would be my shout.

Also, I did a video of my only other reverb pedal a while back. Sounds good:

[youtube][/youtube]
mickie08

Re: talk to me about reverb pedals

Post by mickie08 »

lorez wrote:So reverb.

I have a behringer reverb machine pedal and have lots of reverb plugins on ableton and a couple of modules I could use in the eurorack rig but I wondered what I should consider to replace the behringer pedal? I dont have mega money for styrmon pedal. I have a bassman amp so any pedal will be before the amp and not in any loop, etc.

or should I sell the bassman and get an amp with reverb built in?

Thoughts?
I know I just got one of the tone-master Deluxe Reverbs and it kicks ass. Like 23lbs and it is 95% of the way to my guitarists actual 6 and 68 deluxe. In certain ways it surpasses it (though not reverb wise) I have the oxblood one and it is just a killer amp. Also built in Attentuator and DI so recording, practice volume, or full gig volume you are a go.
They say great minds think alike....Sometimes we do too...
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I haven't used a Polara but a lot of people like them.

I had a Malekko Spring reverb which was great but more of like a digital slapback spring effect, it was still a fun effect I liked more than a lot of "natural" sounding reverbs, it was fun for those long splashy trails.

But I think the reason I sold it was because I got a Deadbeat "The Void" in trade that more/less does what the malekko does....I think I did an A/B test and couldn't decide, but the Malekko was worth more so I sold it. (it looks like the Deadbeat might also be out of production now so it might get pricey soon, none on reverb right now)

Like mickie I mostly get my reverb from my amps. Between a Deluxe Reverb reissue and a 65 pro reverb my reverb needs are more/less covered. Those Tone Master DR's do sound pretty cool, I'd have to play one to hear how it stacks up.
benecol
Best Poster 2010

Post by benecol »

Another vote for the Polara from me. I want one. I have the vibrato from the same range, and it's great.
dezb1
The Oppressor

Post by dezb1 »

I have the Digitech supernatural ambient reverb - it has the best plate reverb I've heard in a pedal
XY
Ankhanu

Post by Ankhanu »

I have amps with built in tanks (Twin Reverb, AC30), so my own buying has been coloured by that fact, and a love of weirder reverb sounds. Currently I'm running a Walrus Slö, along with a little built in reverb on the Keeley 30ms for bass, and those, plus the amp reverb for guitar - the Keeley and amp reverb are always on together, the Slö is for more ambient stuff, and situational. The Reverb on the 30ms is really nice; IIRC it emulates a room 'verb, and has a natural space to it... but it's an expensive pedal to use *for* the reverb; I love the doubler feature used as a pseudo-chorus, and run it all the time. The Slö is almost certainly too niche for what you're after.

The Slö replaced a TC Trinity II.

The Trinity is a great, flexible reverb pedal with all kinds of weird reverbs on it, PLUS a TonePrint slot that you can program in a basic room/plate/spring reverb so that it's not *just* ambient weird sounds.

Honestly, this thing sounds pretty solid -
60Cycle Hum and Josh Scott go through some cheap pedals, including this one; they run the reverb around 22:30
ekwatts wrote:That's American cinema, that is. Fucking sparkles.
Donate to Ankhanu Press
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

Brandon W wrote:you elites.
plopswagon
cutesy tag

Post by plopswagon »

is there a reverb pedal that goes CRAAAAANNGGGGGUEREEEEN! when you kick it?
► Show Spoiler
ekwatts wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:53 pm The word "moisty" has made me irrationally angry.
NickD

Post by NickD »

plopswagon wrote:is there a reverb pedal that goes CRAAAAANNGGGGGUEREEEEN! when you kick it?
The Mooer Crang Guereen?
ekwatts
A series of tubes

Post by ekwatts »

NickD wrote:
plopswagon wrote:is there a reverb pedal that goes CRAAAAANNGGGGGUEREEEEN! when you kick it?
The Mooer Crang Guereen?
The Danelectro Spring King.
Brandon W wrote:you elites.
Doog
mid-century modem

Post by Doog »

REAL TALK: what about the Behringer don't you like? i.e. what's the need for replacing it, other than retail therapy?
sunshiner wrote: You don't understand my kindness, drown in shit
lorez

Post by lorez »

Doog wrote:REAL TALK: what about the Behringer don't you like? i.e. what's the need for replacing it, other than retail therapy?
I'm feeling it sounds a bit processed and artificial on some of the settings. might just be my cloth ears though
plopswagon wrote:I like teles and strats because they're made out of guitar.
robroe wrote:I dont need a capo. I have the other chords in my tonefingers
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Only sell/replace the bass man if it’s not doing it for you for many reasons which would suggest replacing with a smaller amp with a spring tank

It’s too nice an amp to let go of otherwise

The behringer should be close to the boss with maybe a slightly thinner sound, like Andy asked its worth knowing what you don’t like about the current pedal to know what would make you happy
BobArsecake
a mannequin made by madmen

Post by BobArsecake »

I miss my Spring King.
Thom
lamp

Post by Thom »

I’d like to try the Fender Marine Layer reverb, is meant to be good and a decent price.
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

lorez wrote:
Doog wrote:REAL TALK: what about the Behringer don't you like? i.e. what's the need for replacing it, other than retail therapy?
I'm feeling it sounds a bit processed and artificial on some of the settings. might just be my cloth ears though
Definitely don’t buy the Deadbeat or Malekko I recommended then haha
dub

Post by dub »

ekwatts wrote:
NickD wrote:
The Mooer Crang Guereen?
The Danelectro Spring King.
That new Gamechanger Audio reverb with the lights and springs is the first reverb pedal to seriously get me excited for this dumb reason.
euan
partynerd!

Post by euan »

RV5 or RV6 innit.

My favourite straight up reverb in a pedal is the one in the RE-20
euan