orange comp stang

The original shortscale guitars; Mustangs, Duo-Sonics, Musicmasters, Jaguars, Broncos, Jag-stang, Jagmaster, Super-Sonic, Cyclone, and Toronados.

Moderated By: mods

Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Fakir Mustache wrote:I'm not crazy about the stang tailpiece. It goes out of tune with serious reverb handling, and I spent lots of time trying to set it up and trying everything. Which isn't the case with a Bigsby without a tension bar. O.k., that does take time finding a bridge which will work well and we're talking different types of guitars.
My Jag-stang will not go out of tune, no matter what I do. Super stable.

Bigsby's tend not to go out of tune because they're pretend tremolos that don't fucking do anything.
paul_

Post by paul_ »

I believe that's the finish they also call "Capri Orange" on Squier and Fender models, but maybe not the exact same hue.
With a modern interpretation of a finish invariably seen in a faded/worn state, there's always going to be some wiggle room... not all '60s comp orange guitars are that yellowy hue.

Do an regular Bullet HH in a non-swank finish (still sold for $179.99, so around $193 with tax) and have some dude refinish it, you'll probably still come in at less than half what that dude wanted for the orange Bullet. It's after all this that you'll start spending the real money and effort retrofitting it for other stuff anyway.

I agree that a refinished CV would be an easier overall route to the facsimile of the guitar you want. A used fiesta one from the black pickups/switches era only really needs a paintjob and stripes, visually.
Aug wrote:which one of you bastards sent me an ebay question asking if you can get teh kurdtz with that 64 mustang? :x
robertOG wrote:fran & paul are some of the original gangstas of the JS days when you'd have to say "phuck"
Fakir Mustache

Post by Fakir Mustache »

Bacchus wrote:
Fakir Mustache wrote:I'm not crazy about the stang tailpiece. It goes out of tune with serious reverb handling, and I spent lots of time trying to set it up and trying everything. Which isn't the case with a Bigsby without a tension bar. O.k., that does take time finding a bridge which will work well and we're talking different types of guitars.
Interesting. What type of bridge do you have on it?
NickD wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 11:44 pm
plopswagon wrote: Fri Mar 25, 2022 7:05 pm Fuck! My car runs on Tubes!
When you press the accelerator past halfway it doesn’t actually go any faster, but the engine noise distorts
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

paul_ wrote:I believe that's the finish they also call "Capri Orange" on Squier and Fender models, but maybe not the exact same hue.
With a modern interpretation of a finish invariably seen in a faded/worn state, there's always going to be some wiggle room... not all '60s comp orange guitars are that yellowy hue.
► Show Spoiler
Do an regular Bullet HH in a non-swank finish (still sold for $179.99, so around $193 with tax) and have some dude refinish it, you'll probably still come in at less than half what that dude wanted for the orange Bullet. It's after all this that you'll start spending the real money and effort retrofitting it for other stuff anyway.

I agree that a refinished CV would be an easier overall route to the facsimile of the guitar you want. A used fiesta one from the black pickups/switches era only really needs a paintjob and stripes, visually.
i think i'm leaning toward a new build. it's the one frontier i haven't crossed yet, so why not?
Noirie.
YOUTH

Post by Noirie. »

You can save cash by using a Squier Jaguar neck. I just scored one off ebay for £80. You'd only have to Refin the headstock.
theshadowofseattle wrote:less being WOKE
more being STOKED
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Fakir Mustache wrote:
Bacchus wrote:
Interesting. What type of bridge do you have on it?
It's completely stock!

Might have wrapped the bridge posts at some point when I was a teenager, might have undone that when I was a mid-20s pothead. Either way, it's always been very stable.

I think it might have been a setup guide by doog or possibly robert(original) back on the JS.com days that I followed.
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

New color options in the pipe line might want to hold out

Hurb
Peanut the Kidnapper

Post by Hurb »

not sure how I feel about those colours
robroe
Bon Jovi Fan Club!!1

Post by robroe »

Hurb wrote:not sure how I feel about those colours

I hate gold on anything but that black/shorline gold one is amazing.

The blew orange one can get the fuck out
Nick
Y'SEE!?

Post by Nick »

I'm a fan of the Gulf livery...

Don't know about on a guitar though and especially not with that awful stripe placement and size. It's too big, I'll bet they got those things from the stripe store.
Last edited by Nick on Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

John Player Special-stang
Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

Bacchus wrote:John Player Special-stang
The most heavy ciggies known to man
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Nick must have posted that as I was writing my post. Weird how they both match iconic liveries of horrific, poisonous companies:

Mike
I like EL34s

Post by Mike »

The Squier PetroCancer-Death series
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

They know what the kids like, I suppose.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

robroe wrote:New color options in the pipe line might want to hold out
► Show Spoiler
the black w/ gold stripe is cool, and i'm less taken by the blue w/ orange. i could refin either of them, sure, but the thing is i've wanted the orange comp stang (with the hardware and electronics of a mustang) since rodvonbon showed up with a baker's dozen of them (or however many it was he had). i didn't have the means to propose a buy back then when they were about half the street value they are now, but my understanding is he sold most or all of them off. i could always go the ishibashi route i suppose, but i've never tried that.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

Might seem a bit odd, but would it be worth reaching out to him? He might know what your best/cheapest options are.
NickD

Post by NickD »

Probably less about the companies and more about the motorsport connection.
dots
BADmin (he/him)

Post by dots »

Bacchus wrote:Might seem a bit odd, but would it be worth reaching out to him? He might know what your best/cheapest options are.
probably true... i'll drop him a pm.
Bacchus
Whatever's handiest

Post by Bacchus »

If nothing else, it might save you the bother of having to find someone to make an AK47-shaped body for you.